PDA

View Full Version : Tasting Around The World

Daisy712
03-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Hey folks,

I am looking for recommendations for tasting something in each country in EPCOT. We have been to WDW many times, but this time we want to take our time in the countries and find something to taste from each country. We have ADRs for San Angels, DH's favorite, but we aren't looking for a meal in the other countries, just something to taste. It could also be something that we share. This trip includes my DH, 14 year old DS, 12 year old DD and my adult cousin. What do you suggest?:rocks::rocks:

Tinksalot
03-21-2008, 02:20 PM
You could try some pastries from France!! One of our favorite stops. :eat:

offwego
03-21-2008, 02:44 PM
The pastries in france are yummy! (it's a counter service spot where you line up to select your choice be it a pastry, mousse etc many options for sharing here!)

If one were starting in Mexico I would say the following...

chimichurra from Mexico..or maybe even nacho's
Norway has school bread and other sweet treats to try and share
China has bubble tea that might be a unique experience
Germany does have a counter service options selling bratwurst
Italy has a number of options as well but I can't say I've tried any.
America would be funnell cakes!
Japan has the ices (quite refreshing)
Morroco's Tangine Cafe offers sweets and sandwiches (we've shared the chicken shwarma quite large and filling for three)
England's Fish and chips to go would make fun sharing!
Canada alas after the beavertails left is quite devoid of traditional offerings so can't really help you there.

AHOTE
03-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Try the cloudberry horns at Kringla Og Bakery in Norway. They're a wonderful snack, and for the adults, add a viking coffee. The Smoked salmon is great too if you want a little heartier fare.
We go for the Food & Wine festival every year and we spend one entire day, after breakfast that is, slowly walking WS and sampling foods & wines :wine: & beers :beer:& foods and, you get the idea. You'll have lots of choices and many are sure to please every member of your family. We got some of our ideas from reading through the menus in info central.

jakeybake
03-21-2008, 04:08 PM
I did not like mexico`s :noway: food but I liked Italia`s.

DizneyFanz
03-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Norway: Kringla Sweet Pretzel (@ Kringla Bakeri og Cafe)
Mexico: ? - I'm not a big fan
China: Green Tea Plum Wine Slush (@ Tea Stand)
Morocco: Baklava (@ Tangierine Cafe)
Japan: Tempura Shrimp Udon (@ Yakitori House)
France: Elephant Ears (@ Boulangerie Patisserie)
USA: Funnel Cake (@ Kiosk)
UK: Fish & Chips (@ Yorkshire County Fish Shop)
Germany: Hot Pretzel (@ stand)
Italy: Cannoli (@ stand-not sure if it's still there)
Canada: Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup (@ Le Cellier- if you don't plan on dining there, just stop in and get it to take out)

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Norway - school bread and kringle
France - Napoleon
Morocco - Shawarma platter w/ a Moroccan coffee
UK - fish and chips w/ a Guinesss
Germany - pretzel or bratwurst w/ a Spaten
America - funnel cake

I haven't had a chance to try any of the food Italy....however the Italian ritas are good or Canada. I'm planning on trying them next trip.

I've never eaten at China or Japan....heard really bad stories from someone I know who works in Disney dining. She said not to eat at those places.....so I listen.

wendy*darling
03-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Aside from the counter service places and snack stands- don't forget that the shops in each country have treats as well.

You could do "chocolate around the World"! :mickey:
Or cookies, or some other small wrapped snack you find in the shops.

They ALL have something yummy to find.
Japan even has a sake tasting bar in the back of Mitsukoshi- along with lots of very different kinds of candies and snacks.
There's wine tasting in Germany, plus they have great chocolates and gummy candies.

And if you focus on these wrapped treats- you can bring some back home to remind you of your trip around the World. :thumbsup:

So, even if you are not going during the Food & Wine Festival- you can still find lots of goodies.

Daisy712
03-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately, we can't go during the Food and Wine Festival. The kids would love it. We are going to be there in 8 days.:)

Donald Doug
03-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Canada: Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup (@ Le Cellier- if you don't plan on dining there, just stop in and get it to take out)

I didn't know you could get carryout from the table service restaurants. Where do you order carryout?:number1:

Daisy712
03-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Can carryout be ordered from the table service restaurants?

Flash
03-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Hey Donald! Hey Daisy! :thumbsup: Thanks for posting the question! I'm curious about the answer, too!

moe513
03-23-2008, 06:37 PM
In Japan there is a little stand that sells flavored ice in a funnel shaped paper cup. They have lots of fruit flavors but I like it plain.

Belle_0717
03-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Try the sushi at Japan's Tokyo Dining. It is the best I've ever had. My DH and I also like the combination platter at Tangierine Cafe in Morocco. Next time try going during the food and wine festival there are tons of kiosks from all different countries. They have little samplings of each countries specialities. It's a great way to eat around the world and try differnet foods.

Daisy712
03-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Hey,

I asked about carryout on the Disney's Mom Panel and this was my answer:

Is carry out available in some of the table service restaurants? I have heard that I can get carry out of the Cheddar Cheese soup from Le Cellier. Is this true?

- Asked by Amy from IN on 3/21/2008Answered by
Laura S., MA Category
Table Service Hi Amy! It's funny you asked that! Fellow Disney Mom Erin and I were at lunch recently at the Yak and Yeti restaurant. We both have princesses around 8 years old. Sometimes our little royalty gets tired and they are not in the mood to eat dinner after a long day at the parks. We were wondering aloud if it was possible for us to place an order to go at the restaurant and then just leave the park so that we could eat it back at our resort.

We asked our cast member waiter and he said absolutely yes! I'm not sure if this is the deal at all table service restaurants, but the cast members at Disney dining can let you know at 407-939-3463.

Have a great time planning and a magical trip!

Laura S, from MA

DizneyFanz
03-24-2008, 04:08 PM
I didn't know you could get carryout from the table service restaurants. Where do you order carryout?:number1:

A few years ago (maybe 2) we asked at Le Cellier's podium if we could "take out" the soup. They happily obliged.:thumbsup:

I don't know about any of the other TS restaurants @ Epcot and I also don't know if Le Cellier still does it but I think they do.

My daughter just reminded me, they gave us a few of their delicious bread sticks along with the soup!

EvilQueen2006
03-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Mexico- Churros and a mango margarita
Norway-schoolbread and viking coffee
China- egg rolls
Germany- beer
Italy- cannoli and wine
Usa- funnel cake
Japan- sushi and plum wine
Morocco- vegetarian platter is awesome, and if you share its a good sized snack
France- anything from the bakery and a grand marnier orange slush
UK- fish and chips and a black and tan
Canada- hmmmm. . . good question. they need more food in canada!

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-25-2008, 03:06 PM

:)I asked this question a few months ago because my son wanted escargot from France and was told they no longer do take out because they are far too busy:(

katzctkpt
03-25-2008, 03:28 PM
We haven't tried all the restaurants in Epcot but, the ones we have here is my opinion:

Mexico is the worst food I've ever stuck in my mouth:ack::ack:. The waiter was rude & quite hateful. The coke & sprite had a horrible taste and of course Florida water isn't to tasty either.

Japan dining was probably one of the best meals I had in 2006 on our trip. We didn't get to go there last yr due to renovations but, I would like to go again.

UK has some of the best fish & chips.

Walking by some of the little food stands around the world the food smelled really good and I hope to try some of the pastries this Dec.

SBETigg
03-25-2008, 03:37 PM

All of the things you quoted in your post were from quick service restaurants, not the table service places. With the exception of the cheddar cheese soup, which has been mentioned from Le Cellier but is available at a stand during the F & W festival. All, or almost all, of the World Showcase countries have a table service and a quick service option. And don't forget that some of the shops have candy, wine, or other treats representing that particular country.

katzctkpt
03-25-2008, 04:19 PM
UK fish n chips are awesome:mickey:

France pastries are great:mickey:

Mexico.....well, it's close to the worst I've EVER eaten.....:ack::ack::ack:

Japan.....GREAT:mickey::mickey:

We've missed a zillion other places, which we hope to hit in the coming trips....:thumbsup:

Advnt05
03-26-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm surprised how down every one is on Mexico. While I think the counter service is not that good, the inside by the Volcano has been fine for me. I like the mole dishes.
I tried something similar to this several (20 years) ago in college. I wanted to eat a dessert from each country. Mostly, I ended up eating candy. By the end of the day, I was not feeling to well. :sick: But it was fun!

I second the Napolean from Franch.
The sushi from the upstairs restaurant at Japan. The shaved ice is good as well from the stand.
Here is my little secret. Go to Italy and visit their wine shop. If you drink, ask for the lemoncello. It's my favorite quick lemon flavored shot. Quite refreshing.
Germany has candy.
England has the beer.
Canada..the cheese soup is great.

ElenitaB
03-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Evilqueen, I like the way you think! :thumbsup:

Everyone has made some great recommendations! I hate to not listen to Thumper's mom, but I'd warn you away from getting food at the Lotus Blossom Cafe (in China), as they're two for two in getting both DS and I sick :ack: Stick with the bubble tea stand!

In Morrocco, try one of the platters (I prefer one of their shwarma platters as much for the meat as for the yummy side dishes). Their baklava is far too sweet (we get primo baklava here in my neighborhood so I've been spoiled). Instead save the opportunity to indulge in sugary sweets for France's bakery which is truly amazing.

Linda's suggestion to try the shops was spot on as well! My DS really likes to visit Japan's store where he buys Poki (and mom buys shrimp chips :tasty:). Kaki gori (the finely shaved and syrup-flavored ice mentioned above) is a refreshing way to accompany those snacks.

ASweetLov
03-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Mexico- Churros
Italy- Gelato

Thats all I have tasted because I am extremelly picky with food but they were both very yummy:thumbsup:

ilovemyjj31
03-27-2008, 12:02 AM
In Japan there is a little stand that sells flavored ice in a funnel shaped paper cup. They have lots of fruit flavors but I like it plain.

Its called Kaki Gori!! YUmmmm

Daisy712
04-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Hello Everyone!

We just returned and we did do the tasting around the world. There were five of us in our party including two children. We ended up getting one thing and sharing it in most of the countries. My 14 year old DS said this was his favorite day in the parks. He usually does not enjoy spending time in the countries, but during our tasting trip we spent around 6 hours in the countries. This is what we had.

Mexico - We ate at San Angel. I agree with other posters, this was not my favorite. My DH loved his nachos. If we did this again, we would skip the meal and just taste.
Norway - Schoolbread
China - Red bean ice cream - pretty good.
Germany - We shared a gingerbread man.
Italy - We each picked a piece of candy in the store on the far side of the plaza.
America - Funnel Cake
Japan - Kaki Gori and rice candy
Morocco - Lamb, toubalah, couscous salad, hummus and pita chips
France - We had pastries. Napolean:number1:
United Kingdom - We bought a package of digestables. They are like giant, saltless Ritz crackers.
Canada - We got the cheddar cheese soup from Le Cellier. We were able to get carry out, but I think we were shorted some on our soup. We were given the soup in styrofoam cups. We got very little for the price. I certainly don't think we got a full cup.

All in all, it made for a very fun and memorable day and something we haven't done before in Epcot.

Thank you all for your suggestions.:thumbsup:

Flash
04-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I was one of the 5! FYI - it was really hard to find foods actually made in the country when it wasn't counter serve. We got suggestions from the CMs in China and Morocco. They were happy to help us and we got a great deal on a side item at Morocco (the lamb was thrown in for "free"). I wasn't a big fan of the school bread - it just seemed like a hot cross bun with coconut. We had a BLAST!!!!