PDA

View Full Version : Christmas at the Resorts?

roryjulie
03-21-2008, 01:22 PM
We are thinking of doing an early December trip to see the Christmas events in the world. We are trying to decide which hotel would be best for the trip and we're considering the GF or the WL. Anyone have an thoughts on which is better for a Christmas trip? Do you think an Epcot resort would be better? Thanks!

JMTStone
03-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I loved our Thanksgiving trip last year in the world. We did a bit of resort hopping Thanksgiving day (since the parks were so busy - something YOU won't have to deal with). My favorite was Boardwalk. Its an EPCOT resort so its close and it was decorated beautifully. We'll be there in June.

Don't forget a jacket - we learned that it can get quite cold even though it is Florida. Ended up buying sweatshirts for everyone (we looked good, though)

Have fun!

ibrowse17
03-21-2008, 03:10 PM
If it were me, I would stay at the WL. We were there this past Christmas, and while all of the resorts we saw had wonderful decorations, the WL was our choice for the best. GF was truly nice with the ginger bread house and all, but the WL really took our breath away:thumbsup: As far as Epcot resorts, we really enjoy the Beach Club. These had great decorations as well!!

jakeybake
03-21-2008, 03:23 PM
GF is way better. :ebasket: :sulley:

jwildflower1981
03-21-2008, 03:25 PM
The GF had the beautiful yummy smelling gingerbread house. Try to make a point of at least going to visit it. I'm not sure what the WL does for decorations. Happy planing.

Jasper
03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
It is so hard to say which is the best because they are all so beautiful. My theory is this - if you like WL best during non-Christmas time then you are likely going to like it best at Christmas. So in short I would say pick the one you like best anyway and go with that. Of course, be sure to visit the others as well for a change of scenery.

Mary M
03-21-2008, 03:46 PM
They're both fantastic. The decorations just match the theme of the place, so if you like a woodsy Christmas, then go for WL. If you want a Victorian Christmas, go GF.

I like Boardwalk at Christmas, personally. They have a sugar art carnival scene that is really gorgeous.

crazypoohbear
03-21-2008, 04:04 PM
We visited them all during december 05
they were all gorgeous!
I liked the GF because it reminded me of a Norman Rockwell setting :mickey:

Even the chestnuts roasting on an open fire out front didn't smell bad (like in NYC):sick:
( I just don't get them):confused:
THe Epcot resorts are very nice as well

AHOTE
03-21-2008, 04:08 PM
:tree:If you have the time,:candy:resort hop :ornament:and see as many of them as you can. Each resort is beautifully and uniquely decororated. :santa3: As for where to stay I like WL.

thumperbug
03-21-2008, 09:07 PM
On our first Disney Holiday trip we stayed at WL. It was breathtaking. The huge tree in the lobby that you have to crane your neck to see the top, the smaller trees with the bears hanging out next to them....the fire in the fireplace...it just reminded me of "home" for the holidays.
On our 2nd Holiday trip we stayed at Boardwalk. It had a different feel but still one of holiday spirit. The garlands draped all over the lobby were laden with beautiful glass blown ornaments and there was a gingerbread carousel.
I would choose the WL at Holiday time hands down as my first choice. If you are planning to spend a lot of time at the hotel (not likely as this is Disney after all) then choose WL. If you are not, then choose your fav hotel and hotel hop as suggested in earlier blog. Regardless of where you stay, Disney during the holidays is fantastic. :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-21-2008, 10:39 PM
As my sis said above we resort hopped in '05 (we were staying at the Dolphin) and I was most impressed with the GF's decorations. They were all gorgeous but there was just something about the way that resort looked.
No matter where you stay, make a point of visiting as many resorts as you can.

busterthebronco
03-21-2008, 11:12 PM
GF is the choice here.
its classic Christmas.
it brings tears to my wifes eyes. (she's a Christmas nut)

padisneylover
03-22-2008, 05:55 AM
We choose the GF for this years Christmas trip because of the beautiful decorations, the smell of the gingerbread house, chestnuts roasting on the open fire, and the entertainment in the main lobby.

Lillex
03-22-2008, 06:53 AM
We also chose the GF for Christmas this year. I have not seen either at Christmas and have stayed at WL several times. I just wanted to splurge a little and try the GF. It seems everyone raves over how beautiful it is at Christmas!

roryjulie
03-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks everyone. We are planning to resort hop so I think we'll get a chance to see them all-- we'll plan to decide where to stay by the next week or so.

AuntLaura
03-23-2008, 09:08 PM
I would highly recommend an EPCOT resort. The holiday ending to Illuminations is fabulous - I would see it every night if I could. Plus, you are close to DHS with the Osborne Light Spectacle, which is also great. Agree with everyone else - resort hop and take a look at all the decorations.

GrmGrninGost
03-23-2008, 11:24 PM
I highly recomment Wilderness Lodge! I find it to be the most beautiful and relaxing of all the WDW resorts, especially at Christmas! :santa:

KineGirl
03-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Have you considered OKW? Its pretty convenient to everything but mostly because it always seem like so many guests themselves get into the spirit by decorating their balconies! Its so cool to see! Not to mention the resort itself looks incredible. All the resorts are beautiful .. sigh. Its a tough decision - lucky you! LOL