PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

Piglet822
03-21-2008, 07:51 AM
I hit a button on my laptop the other day (at least I think that's what I did) and now when I open webpages they don't open up in a full screen, they are long and narrow. Once I hit the maximize button they do open full page but it's driving me nuts trying to figure out what I did - I do know it's not the F11 key - that will open it full screen but then I lost my tool and task bars.
Anyone have any ideas what I did? :confused:

disneydave4479
03-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Windows saves the states of the window sizes, etc...so if it closed unexpectedly then that particular application could possibly open in a weird state.

Hopefully this will fix the problem...works 99% of the time. Open up IE from the icon on your desktop. Resize the window to how you want it, and then click File and Exit. This will force it to remember that state, erasing what it had recorded originally.

You can also create a shortcut on your desktop from the original IE shortcut and modify the properties to start maximized.

To do this...right click your original icon and select create shortcut. Right click on the new icon and select properties. In the middle of the properties window will be "Run"...it should default to "Normal window". Change that to "Maximized". Now when you use the new icon it'll always start in a maximized state.

Hope that helps.

Disney Dave :mickey:

Piglet822
03-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Cool - it's working for right now I'll let you know after I shut down and start up again if it did the trick.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Piglet822
03-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Dave, it didn't work :( I tried both of your suggestions. Oh well, I could have worse computer problems.
Thanks anyway :)

MsMin
03-22-2008, 11:27 AM
my kids were out late celebrating w/ Rachel but when they wake up I can see if they have any suggestions... PC or Mac? I'm assuming PC

Piglet822
03-22-2008, 07:01 PM
PC - it's a Dell if that helps any.

DisFan01
03-22-2008, 08:11 PM
I also have a Dell PC...but I don't think the Dell part matters...
I (being the complete computer nerd that I am) thought this over, and if the two things Disney Dave thought of didn't work, then I'm pretty much out of suggestions.
I know this doesn't matter, but did you hit apply or okay, or both? It doesn't matter, but hey, what's wrong with asking?

Well, I looked and looked, and couldn't find anything else that might help...sorry... :(

MsMin
03-22-2008, 10:01 PM
okay I asked Rhett and he asked if it is only on IE or is it other program windows too? That makes a difference. He also said to make sure you adjust it manually when you make the change and if it's just IE that should change it b/c it will restore your old settings as mentioned.
He said what button but I told him you didn't know.
:confused:
Rhett said is it your entire screen? did you put it in presentation mode???

BrerGnat
03-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh man, this totally happened to me too! I lost my taskbar as well. It ended up being a Spyware program. I had to get an Spyware detector program to get rid of it. Someone on here helped me figure out what was going on and helped me "restore" it back to how it was. I purchased a Spyware program that monitors that stuff now and cleans up my computer several times a day for me. It has not happened again since I did that.

Sounds like the same problem. It's nothing you did.

I'm sorry, but I can't remember WHO one here came to my aid, but it wasn't that long ago, so he should be around here shortly (I hope).

I am going to do a search of my old posts, so I can see if I can figure out who helped me solve the problem. I'll PM you if I figure out who it was.

In the meantime, just sit tight! There are enough computer experts on here that one will probably help you out soon!

Piglet822
03-22-2008, 11:01 PM
okay I asked Rhett and he asked if it is only on IE or is it other program windows too? That makes a difference. He also said to make sure you adjust it manually when you make the change and if it's just IE that should change it b/c it will restore your old settings as mentioned.
He said what button but I told him you didn't know.
:confused:
Rhett said is it your entire screen? did you put it in presentation mode???

It's other programs, from the desktop, links, start menu, etc.
I do adjust it manually, it's the only way to view the page - it opens up about 2 inches high and 9 or 10 inches across. I just hit the maximize button and it goes to full screen. I'm not losing my task bar or tool bar or anything like that.
Beth, I thought I hit one of the "F" keys but I've since hit them all again to figure it out and that didn't work either, lol.
Think of this as this months INTERCOT challenge :D

Ed
03-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Jeanne, is your laptop running Windows XP or Windows Vista?

If it's XP, try this:

Click on Start;
Click on Help and Support;
Under "Pick a Task", click on "Undo changes to your computer with System Restore;
Choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click Next;
Pick one of the highlighted dates BEFORE the day this problem showed up and click Next;
System will take it from there. :badpc:

You won't lose any documents, e-mails or anything like that; it will just put the settings back to a date when you know they were right.

I believe it's pretty much the same with Vista, but I'm not on that PC right now and can't double-check.

If all that fails, place the laptop under the right front wheel of your bus and put the bus in Drive. :bus:

;)

MsMin
03-23-2008, 02:12 PM
okay, he said that if it's every program then it's another problem or setting change. He's sleeping again... will ask him when he wakes up but it may be easier to call you....
He did say that if it's affecting other programs then you could have accidentally put it in presentation mode. He says that when I relay the info from you to him (he's not reading it) it's not really making sense. I will see what else I can get out of him.

Piglet822
03-23-2008, 05:15 PM
If all that fails, place the laptop under the right front wheel of your bus and put the bus in Drive. :bus:

;)

I can do that :D

MsMin
03-23-2008, 10:38 PM
He asked if you accidentally hit the blue button? He said hit it again, it may cause the screen to go blank for a min. but if so hit it again. Then he said :blah: switch the settings.:blush: I remember something with either an A C or Q :( I was cooking and trying to get his attention and I said I don't know what you're talking about and he went :blah: it's easier to show you. Then he goes to my computer and starts pushing buttons and making my settings change and then all of my windows were long and skinny then undid them :( he said see.... it's no big deal... :surf: kids :rolleyes:

Piglet822
03-24-2008, 07:16 AM
LOL - thanks, Beth. I'll try that and let you know.