PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground Gets a Facelift

Figment!
03-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground Gets a Facelift

Walt Disney World Press Release
March 10, 2008

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., – An outdoor adventure that has been a favorite with Walt Disney World guests since 1971 is receiving some enhancements. As part of a resort-wide renovation project, on now, changes are coming or already in place across the 700 acres of Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground.

"Over the last 37 years, the average length of an RV has increased by 27 feet," says Fort Wilderness spokesperson Darcy Cormier, "Many feature ‘slide outs' that mechanically extend from the sides of the vehicle."

To address the needs of today's larger vehicles, an intensive effort will begin to widen and lengthen the concrete parking pads, while maintaining privacy and tranquility provided by natural vegetation. A new "Premium" campsite will be available that feature extra large concrete pads for larger vehicles -- also upgrades to existing amenities such as picnic tables and grills.

The main pool at Fort Wilderness will be enhanced with a themed water slide, hot tub and children's wet play area. The pool's deep end has been made shallower.

Nestled in the woodlands, the Resort's 409 Wilderness Cabins feature brand-new furniture, carpeting, fixtures and linens – plus a fresh coat of paint. Each spacious cabin features more than 500 square feet of air-conditioned living space as well as a private patio deck with a charcoal grill and picnic table. The master bedroom sleeps four with a full-sized bed and set of bunk beds, while the separate living room sleeps two with a full-sized pull-down bed. All cabins also feature vaulted ceilings, color cable television, DVD player, telephone and a spacious oval dining table. Daily housekeeping service is provided to all Wilderness Cabins.

"With all of the comforts of home, the Wilderness Cabins are perfect for guests who want to wind down in a tranquil, relaxing atmosphere after a fun-filled day at the theme parks," said Jean Gallagher, general manager of Fort Wilderness.
Fort Wilderness has always been the pet-friendly choice for guests to Walt Disney World Resort, and now dogs are getting a playground of their own at the newly-opened Waggin' Trails Dog Park, an off-leash play area.

Of course there is plenty of recreation for humans, too; horseback riding, fishing excursions, nature trail exploration, boat rentals, volleyball, tennis, bike rentals and the new Wilderness Back Trail Adventure, where guests can experience, first hand, a Segway X2 Personal Transporter. Guests can unwind on a white sand beach, play a leisurely game of shuffleboard, take the little ones on a pony ride or enjoy an evening horse-drawn wagon ride around the resort.

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground is located in the Magic Kingdom resort area on the banks of Bay Lake. Convenient boat transportation to Magic Kingdom and motorcoach transportation to all Walt Disney World destinations, including Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom, is provided.

For more information, or to make reservations at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground, visit wdwcamp.com or call 407/WDW-CAMP. To book the two-hour guided Segway X2 experience, contact 407 WDW-TOUR.

disneydeb
03-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks! It is good to hear and "finally see" that they will be addressing the pool issue!

ibrowse17
03-21-2008, 09:45 AM
We love FW, so I am happy about a "facelift". Very glad to hear that they will keep the " privacy and tranquility" of the campground:thumbsup:

hoop de do
03-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks Jason. It great to hear that my family's favorite place will be getting some much needed primping. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

sleepingbooty
03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Any speculation on when this will be finished? The one reason we still have yet to stay there is the lackluster pool - so I'm glad to hear they will be upgrading it!

pdrlkr
03-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

DNS
03-22-2008, 12:01 PM
I wonder if the new "premium" sites are the same as the "preferred" sites now, but will be larger. We have a 33 ft. motor home with a slide on each side and the sites are a little too tight, but we've managed. I honestly was hoping for some pull thrus. And I hate to be negative, but I hope they don't increase prices over this.

TheRustyScupper
03-22-2008, 12:08 PM
. . . I honestly was hoping for some pull thrus. And I hate to be negative, but I hope they don't increase prices over this . . .

1) It is nice to see all the Fort Wilderness enhancements.
2) It has been a ling time coming.
3) Remember, PREMIUM = MORE MONEY.
4) You have to charge more for wider and longer slots.

NOTE: Fw has always been fun to visit and fun to work at. Now even more so.

BelleCiavo
03-23-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm so excited about the pool. :thumbsup:

CaptSmee
03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
...now if they would just do something with River Country!:confused:

Dsnygirl
03-28-2008, 09:06 AM
:thumbsup: Sounds awesome... someday we'd like to stay there with family, and this sure makes us want to do it sooner rather than later!! :)

Camping Mom
03-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I am glad they are doing something about the pool, even though I have never used it in all our visits. No pizzaz to it!!

As long as the "wilderness" feel is still there, then this is a good thing. I have seen, over the years, too many big rigs squeezed into an area too small for them...then you have little room for slide outs.

Great to hear....love Ft. Wilderness.

SFTrny
04-03-2008, 09:52 PM
If the cabins are getting DVD players....will the trading posts be offering DVD rentals? We loved renting the old Disney VHS tapes and watching them at night.