PDA

View Full Version : I Need To Vent

MMouse6937
03-20-2008, 05:20 PM
I just need to vent so sorry. :mad:

Lots of people on here know that I'm an absolute animal lover, they are my world. I work in the medical field but if there's anything else in this world that I'm passionate about it's animals.

What is so frustrating to me is the ability for people to think that animals are disposable. I read posts on my local Craigslist where people are posting that they have to give their animals away because they have to move, they don't get along with their bird, they pooped on the floor, whatever. When I'm volunteering at the shelter I see animal after animal brought in because the people just had a new baby and now have to dispose of their pet. I just don't get it. There is not a thing, and I mean ANYTHING that my babies could do to make me get rid of them (trust me, they've tried ;) ) I would never move someplace they couldn't come, if we were poor, they would eat before I would eat, etc. Would you get rid of your child because they pooped on the floor or weren't getting along with their sister? No, so why is it acceptable to do this with an animal?

My DH has said I'm kinda one of those crazy animal people. Not quite throwing paint on people wearing fur and picketing slaughterhouses, but sometimes I feel that I'm close. My level of anger gets so high when I think that these creatures didn't ask to be brought into this world and treated badly.

I volunteer for the Humane Association, foster kittens and puppies, donate to the ASPCA, etc, but it never feels like it's going to be enough. My dad says I get too emotionally involved, but if I don't do something, who will? All of my animals were abused, abandoned, thrown away on the streets and they are the most wonderful creatures I have ever known. I want every animal to know what my animals know, what it's like to have love and compassion and to never be cold, hungry, abused.

Sorry, just had to get it out, my DH doesn't like to talk about it so sometimes I feel like I can't express what is bottled up inside me. Thanks for letting me vent!

If you have furry babies, give them a hug from me! :paw:

jrkcr
03-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Venting is good for you! I hope this makes you feel some better... Here is my personal pound puppy story:
I am scared of big dogs, and about 2 weeks ago I woke up one day and suddenly decided to go to the pound and get a dog!! My DD's have wanted a dog since forever, and it was time to get over my fear!! So off I went with 2 of my DD's I was SO scared there-it was FULL of loud barking dogs-plenty of pit bulls!! I know I looked like a freak, holding my DD8 hand and some of the rooms there I couldn't even go into, cause I was so afraid of the noise! This was a huge pound/spca building. But I found 1 dog in all of those dogs that I wanted to "meet". She was very smelly, and just plain black, but for some reason I wanted HER! She is MUCH bigger than any dog I would normally want-a mix of lab and retriever. But I looked her in the eyes, and KNEW she was going home with me! She is so great!!! Baby is fun, pre-trained(she is about 5-7 yrs old), GREAT with the kids, and likes our 2 cats. Baby is addicted to tennis balls, and so we go to the park all the time now! I bought her all kinds of pink things-collar, leash, even pink tennis balls! She sleeps right beside me, on my side of the bed-very protective! In just 2 weeks I am so attached to her-she rides in my car, lays in my bed on my feet, eats oatmeal cookies with me...Like she has been mine all her life!
My entire family is so shocked to see me with a big dog!! Our pound puppy is THE BEST!! :puppy:

murphy1
03-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Aw, here's a big hug, believe me that hurts me, too. I have adopted all my cats from pet adoption places at PetSmart, I talk to the volunteers about these issues. I know someone who just apalled me last year, tried to get a dog, it didn't work out (she got an Aus. Shepard, stupidly, did not do her research on how active they are). So what did she do? Got rid of it and this year wants to "try" the dog thing again!!! One of the reasons I like Shannon Elizabeth on Dancing with the Stars is she started an animal adoption program a few years ago. Pets can be a 15 to 20 yr commitment, not a disposable one. I have adopted my wonderful Maine Coon and Tortis from PetSmart adopters!

caryrae
03-20-2008, 06:24 PM
I am with you, those commercials about abused, abandoned animals are so sad. I hate people too who leave there dogs outside chained up all day long, we had a neighbor like that and this was in the winter.

pogo
03-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Aw, here's a big hug, believe me that hurts me, too.
Now wait a minute, possum girl ! I don't think it would be in my best interest for you two to get together. Stay away from Sarah. (you do know I'm just kidding.... right ?) :D

Sarah..... I know what you mean. Patti and I would love to have a dog but we don't think it's fair for the animal. We are never home.

Hang in there and here's a :hug: from Patti and I.

Deesdisney
03-20-2008, 06:41 PM
I have a problem with people giving animals away or just leaving them on the side of the road. You do not know how many times I have found puppies.
However, I have never had an animal due to the fact that we have never been home much in the summer. I just feel that I will not make this decision until we stop traveling.
Last year we came home and found a baby husky/unknown. It was the sweetest little thing. We took it to the vet cause it was covered in fleas. I spent about $200 and found a perfect home for her. I wanted to keep her but we were going to be gone for 2 months in Calif. visiting family. We have neighbors that get dogs and keep them in the garage in cages. They are never home and I feel so sorry for the dogs.

I will not get a dog until we settle down and we can spend time with it. Pets are like people to me.

Hair_Razor
03-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I was turned down by one of those PetSmart shelters I was so disappointed I wanted to get a companion for my cat (which found us), but they said no because we had a daughter under 2. So I decided to go to my local CVS and look at the post's on the board looking for a kitten. I found a post that listed kittens so I called and went to look at them. When I got there the lady called her place a "rescue" but it was so filthy and gross I stuck to the floors. The woman had cats not kittens and a menagerie of dogs. We ended up getting a Pomeranian/ Shih Tzu mix and a black and white boy cat. We informed our vet of the conditions of the place we got them. My dog had worms so bad she had to be treated twice. I think some people think they are helping and they get in over their heads. Like the people in Arizona who had almost 800 animals in a triple wide trailer. It's sad.:(

trennedy
03-20-2008, 08:28 PM
I understand your vent and feel the same way. I posted a while back about my little love, wrigley, getting into chocolate and almost losing him. (He's doing great by the way). :dog::paw:
I also have a special needs cat. He was attacked by a raccoon and is partially paralyzed; his back legs don't work very well. He now has litter box issues, he doesn't always make it to his box and we have to clean our carpets often. Yes, we have thought of how much easier life would be if we didn't have to deal with the bathroom issues, but what would I be saying about myself if I just gave up on him because he was "special". We just clean and love him a bit more. :cat:
I feel that once you make a commitment to a pet, you don't just walk away when it doesn't go as you thought...there, I added my own vent to yours. :blush:

kaerbear178
03-20-2008, 10:55 PM
I work with a lady who is as passionate as you. She is with a rescue in Mexico that takes in abused, abandoned dogs. I wish I could take one of them home with me but unfortunately am in an apartment right now and am not able to take care of a dog. As soon as I graduate I want to volunteer at one of the local shelters as well.
One of the saddest things about the housing situation right now is all of the animals that are left behind when peoples homes are foreclosed. I just don't understand how you could leave behind a part of your family.
Here's a hug...:hug: Feel free to vent anytime!

daparish
03-21-2008, 04:31 AM
I sooooooo know what you mean. I have a mixed dog who is about 8 years old now. Beaux was found at a gas station on the side of the Interstate. The vet said he was about 6 months old. He was skin and bones and full of fleas and ticks. He is truly my baby. He sleeps in my bed and shares my pillow with me. This is a touchy subject for me as well and I can go on and on about this subject. My boss and his wife had their doxin put down when their son was born. I could not believe it. The dog was not very old and I can't even believe they found a vet that would do this. Their excuse was that the dog growled at her little nephew and they were afraid with the new baby and thought the dog would grieve to much without them. I may be able to understand if the dog were really mean but he growled once at a 5 yearold. I was bitten in the face as a child by my aunts dog (I have a small scar next to my eye and on my lip). Was the dog mean - no. I grabbed the dog's collar and she reacted. Did we expect my aunt to put her dog down because of this - never!!!!! When my little nieces come over I am very careful never to leave them and Beaux in a room alone together. I don't believe he would ever hurt them but the are kids and they may hurt him and he may be protecting himself. Also, I can't believe how many people left their animals behind for Katrina. It was so sad. I know some had no choice. They stayed with their animals and when the water came the rescuers would not take the animals so they were forced to make a horrible decision but lots of people evacuated leaving their pets in their homes. I am the first to admit it was no picnic but I would never, ever leave Beaux behind. We traveled for 16 hours in my Honda Pilot with 7 people and 4 dogs. My niece had to hold Beaux (40lbs) on her lap in the front seat and he cried the entire 16 hours. We were not sure if we would find a hotel so my dh and I made a decision. We would bring everyone else to a shelter and we would sleep in the car with Beaux. Thankfully we were able to find a hotel that accepted pets. I will get off my :soapbox: now but as you can see it is a touchy subject for me as well.

RenDuran
03-21-2008, 09:20 AM
I've worked with animals since the early 90's and it is difficult to deal with the mentality of our disposible society. I was called "dog killer" a lot when I worked at the humane society. And I'm thinking to myself when someone would say that while bringing in their litter of puppies or kittens, "Well, if you had spayed or neutered your pet I wouldn't have to euthanize!"

We love our pets. In fact, we just adopted a little puppy three weeks ago today. We went through the Virginia German Shepherd Rescue Group. They are a great group that fosters dogs in their personal homes. We drove almost two hours to originally meet and then go pick up our new dog. Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem that Hair_Razor did. We have a three-year-old son, and the local shelter, the one that I had even worked for, wouldn't adopt a puppy to us. So we had to find a rescue group that would.

My cat, Clyde, and our dog, Sarah, both had major health issues when they were alive. We cared for both of them like we would our children. And as you all know, it's expensive and time consuming. But we have gotten a lot of joy from our pets and feel that they deserve nothing less.

I grabbed the dog's collar and she reacted.

I just read a statistic that 20% of dog bites are when someone is reaching for a dog's collar! Most dogs are only grabbed by the collar when they're being made to do something they don't want to and it's a pretty common reaction. I just read a book by Ian Dunbar and he suggests grabbing a dog's collar often and giving the dog a treat or praise, so they come to associate collar-grabbing with something good.

LauraF
03-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Another big hug from an animal lover here. :hug:

I used to volunteer for a no-kill shelter (until they stopped being a no-kill shelter) and some of the things I saw happen to the pets that came in . . . unbelievably sickening doesn't even begin to cover it. If people could do this to their pets, what must their families go through?

People need to understand that pets are not knick-knacks to be given away when they 'break'. But so many of them miss the point. And it breaks my heart, so you're not alone in getting upset.

I got my two cats from the shelter I worked at - somebody had to move and couldn't find a condo that would take pets. My lucky day! I've had them for 6 years now, and while they try my patience at times, I'd never be able to give them up.

MMouse6937
03-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Also, I can't believe how many people left their animals behind for Katrina. It was so sad. I know some had no choice. They stayed with their animals and when the water came the rescuers would not take the animals so they were forced to make a horrible decision but lots of people evacuated leaving their pets in their homes. I am the first to admit it was no picnic but I would never, ever leave Beaux behind. We traveled for 16 hours in my Honda Pilot with 7 people and 4 dogs. My niece had to hold Beaux (40lbs) on her lap in the front seat and he cried the entire 16 hours. We were not sure if we would find a hotel so my dh and I made a decision. We would bring everyone else to a shelter and we would sleep in the car with Beaux. Thankfully we were able to find a hotel that accepted pets. I will get off my :soapbox: now but as you can see it is a touchy subject for me as well.

I'm so glad you brought up Katrina because DH and I have talked about that a lot and what we would do. The saddest part for me was there wasn't any options for people who wanted to save their animals, it was either leave them or not. What I realized is in a crisis, no one will help you if you have animals, so you better come up with a contingency plan. It will be our responsibility to rescue our babies if there is every a tragedy here in our city. I would absolutely never leave the girls if anything like that happened to us, I would seriously die beside them if that's what it took. As with children, animals don't have the ability to comprehend things. As an adult you can say, there was a hurricaine, things are bad, we have to leave, etc. Animals just wonder why one day they had a home and a family and today they're out on the street drinking filthy water looking for food. I can't imagine leaving them in my home and being evacuated. I would be safe in a shelter, but an absolute wreck wondering about my babies.

So like I said, total animal freak, I really could not love these animals more if I had birthed them myself. I am their mother, forever, no matter what.

Thanks for you listening and all the support, feels good to know you guys are out there!

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-21-2008, 12:48 PM
I too am a huge animal lover. People laugh at some of the things I do because of it.

I don't buy anything Procter and Gamble because of animal testing. I saw pics in college and every time I see their products all I think about are those pictures. I don't eat duck because as a kid we feed the duck. My MIL makes fun of me for this.

I too adopted my two adorable cats from Abandoned Angels. As a teenage I took in a kitten that someone had thrown away....in a dumpster. It had feline leukemia...we kept him until it was his time to go.

So I completely understand. I don't understand how people can be so cruel to animals.

Ms.Disney
03-21-2008, 01:21 PM
I know what you mean... I to am an animal lover. I lost my 17 year old chow chow in Dec. I am only 22 years old so I have had her just about as long as I can remember. Well I was just so sick about it that I decided to get another dog. I wanted another chow as I have a love for the breed. I went to my local spca and found 3 baby chow chow puppies, the sign on the gate where the puppies were said not adoptable. I went and asked why and the lady said "there getting ready to be put down" when I asked why she said well the 2 girls ( there were 2 girls one boy) are growling at each other. The she looked me in the face and said they are full blooded chows and chows are very nasty dogs and dont make good pets.......I wanted to punch her! She has no idea what she is talking about. Anyway I asked to speak to a supervisor, when I meet the supervisor I told him that I have chow chow experience and that I know the breed well. (My grandma used to breed chow chows) and begged him to let me adopt all 3 of them. He said no. I asked to be let in the cage where they were to see how they reacted. After begging for 5 minutes he open the cage, all 3 of those babies charged me almost knocking me down jumping and kissing me. He said I was only aloud to take one boy and one girl because the 2 girls were fighting. I called my mom she came in adopted the other girl. So off we were with 3 2 and a half month old chow chows! We brought them all back to my house the girls NEVER fought. I was up intill 1 am giving them all baths and blow drying them. They have way to much fur to be towel dried. I couldn't keep all 3 but my mom took one, the little boy went to my best friend, and I took the runt. My Little Dixie just turned 5 months old and is now the biggest out of the 3! I love her. I could not imagine my life with out her. I just still cant get over that anyone could put them down for growling at each other they were probably just playing like puppies do. I think that they didnt like the chow chow breed and thats the real reason they were gonna do it, because Dixie sees her brother and sister all the time and never not once have any of them showed aggression to each other or anything else for that matter. If anything I have to worry about my cat going after my puppy, she is terrified of the kitty :blush:

Disney Doll
03-21-2008, 02:05 PM
I feel your pain. I currently have 2 neighbors that recently got dogs. They are "outdoor" dogs whatever that means. Why have a dog if you are just going to lock it up outside and never spend time with it? Now both dog bark non-stop. I feel sorry for the dogs because I know they are probably lonely and bored. I get really irritated with the neighbors because in my mind they are not responsible pet owners and the barking drives me nuts.

IloveDisney71
03-21-2008, 03:45 PM
I know what you mean. All of our animals have come from animal shelters. Our first cat was on her way to the shelter when we saved her. She got cancer and we had to put her to sleep. :( Since then we've adopted 2 cats and a dog and they are a HUGE part of our family. I can't imagine giving them up for any reason. I don't understand how people can get an animal and not become attached to it.

Tiggerlovr9000
03-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I have a cat and I love her very much but have a hard time putting on the same level as my children. My youngest dd was bit by a dog that was adopted 3 times from adopt a pet and had a history of biting. the police told the people running the shelter that it shouldn't be adopted again and the new owners knew nothing of the dogs history. That being said, I have no problem with people that take care of their animals. But these idiots that don't get them spayed or neutered drive me insane. There are way to many cats and dogs out there that need adopted already. Just had a co-worker buy a pit-bull for $1,000 and he is never home to take care of it.:mad::mad:

Stitchahula
03-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Are you my long lost sister? I feel the same way about my furbabies. I've had to say goodbye to 2 in as many years and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I've never understood how people can just act as if their dog/cat whatever is like a sweater that isn't the right color and get just get rid of them. I've heard people say it's just a dog and they don't unerstand that no it's not it's the 1 thing in this world that doesn't ever judge you or say the wrong thing all they do is love you unconditionally and all they want in return is you love. Oh and food water and someone to play with. My own family doesn't understand how much I love my dogs they are my children they just have 4 legs and fur. I even bake for my furbabies they always get a birthday cake and they get home made cookies throughout the year. When my dh and I have gone on vacation in the past we took our "girls" with us if a hotel didn't allow dogs then we didn't stay there. The only time I go on vacation without my girls is when I go to disney or to camp sunshine other than that they've gone everywhere with me. It's always nice to know I'm not the only one out there that loves our furbabies.

MMouse6937
03-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Are you my long lost sister? I feel the same way about my furbabies. I've had to say goodbye to 2 in as many years and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I've never understood how people can just act as if their dog/cat whatever is like a sweater that isn't the right color and get just get rid of them. I've heard people say it's just a dog and they don't unerstand that no it's not it's the 1 thing in this world that doesn't ever judge you or say the wrong thing all they do is love you unconditionally and all they want in return is you love. Oh and food water and someone to play with. My own family doesn't understand how much I love my dogs they are my children they just have 4 legs and fur. I even bake for my furbabies they always get a birthday cake and they get home made cookies throughout the year. When my dh and I have gone on vacation in the past we took our "girls" with us if a hotel didn't allow dogs then we didn't stay there. The only time I go on vacation without my girls is when I go to disney or to camp sunshine other than that they've gone everywhere with me. It's always nice to know I'm not the only one out there that loves our furbabies.

Coreen, you're wonderful! I think we are sisters somewhere :D Thanks for taking such good care of your babies, the world needs more people like you! Take care :hug:

Stitchahula
03-22-2008, 06:54 AM
I've always believed the world would be better if people were as good as their pets think they are. Oh and for those wondering yes I do have 2 incredible 2 legged children.

MsMin
03-22-2008, 11:18 AM
He sleeps in my bed and shares my pillow with me. My boss and his wife had their doxin put down when their son was born. The dog was not very old and I can't even believe they found a vet that would do this. We would bring everyone else to a shelter and we would sleep in the car with Beaux.
My babies sleep with me and sometimes we have a sleepover. Since Rachel moved out she brings Reilly to spend the night if she may be out late (real late) and on days when I'm home and she is working Reilly comes to doggy day care to play with his cousin Mr. Brisby,mom Chloe (though Rach thinks she is really his mom :secret:)and dad Max. Yes, we bred Chloe but we love the Yorkie temperament & size & there just are not enough around here that are healthy (ppl should not breed dogs w/ serious life threatening defects) & affordable (I have a friend looking for one now & they are running 4K from a local breeder & the other breeder should be reported for neglect). We even babysit the pups (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2265037780083799695PfiZku) that our friends have from Chloe's litter and have a rule that if they don't want them they have to give them back. That's the little ones Reilly with the beret, Mr. Brisby w/ the sunglasses, Roux w/ the bandanna, and Izzy w/ the wig..(those are just fridge magnets on the picture)
About Katrina... There were arrangements for animals during the storm and afterwards. Not the best but after all it was a crisis. People were allowed to take their animal if and only if they had a crate or box to transport it. We had 1100 kids that were abandoned on the side of the highway at the station were ppl were brought to catch buses to a shelter. ppl hopped on a bus and left their kids, do you think these ppl worried about their animals? NO.. We had friends who were rescued and they had their cat with them with no problems. When you got to triage in BR your animal was ID'd and sent to Parker Colosseum at LSU where volunteers supervised by LSU vet school were there to feed and care for them. I know my dd fell in love with several dogs & wanted to take them home. In Camille, when I was young, we left our dog in the car at the hotel. Many ppl thought it would just be a day or two and others just didn't bother but are willing to say oh yeah it's their fault. We had 9 ppl & 2 dogs & 2 cats + our 2 dogs. I'm sure there were some rescue workers who didn't know the arrangements & told ppl they couldn't take their dogs but the fact is there was a plan.
About the vet... one thing that Rachel trained for w/ her Vet school interview is the question of euthanizing pets. A typical question is what would you do if an owner wants to euthanize a very healthy pet. Rachel's answer was this. I realize that the pet is a possession of the owner and it's their choice. I would offer to find a loving family and if they refused other options I would do it for the well being of the animal b/c if I refuse the animal could be euthanized in a less humane way and the animal could in fact suffer more. I know in my hands I could euthanize the animal in a painless method.
I also know that they can't stand these ppl too. One local politician had neglected his dog and Rach was telling our family not to vote for him b/c of his serious neglect of his animals. I know her boss gets depressed when he has to spay an animal carrying pups. Rach did talk one owner into letting them find homes for the animals b/c he wanted to spay her and she was days before whelping.
She got bit yesterday by Sonny, a stray who was hit by a car, had surgery & is recovering.
My own sister has never had a dog die naturally in her possession. They always find an excuse to get rid of them then want another. She has given away 2 birds too. My vet calls them tissue owners. They treat the animal like it's a tissue and dispose of it at when they want a new "pup".:mad: Her dd wanted one of my dogs and I wouldn't give them one.

What is so frustrating to me is the ability for people to think that animals are disposable. I read posts on my local Craigslist where people are posting that they have to give their animals away because they have to move, they don't get along with their bird, they pooped on the floor, whatever. When I'm volunteering at the shelter I see animal after animal brought in because the people just had a new baby and now have to dispose of their pet. I just don't get it. There is not a thing, and I mean ANYTHING that my babies could do to make me get rid of them (trust me, they've tried ) I would never move someplace they couldn't come, if we were poor, they would eat before I would eat, etc. Would you get rid of your child because they pooped on the floor or weren't getting along with their sister? No, so why is it acceptable to do this with an animal?
I volunteer for the Humane Association, foster kittens and puppies, donate to the ASPCA, etc, but it never feels like it's going to be enough. My dad says I get too emotionally involved, but if I don't do something, who will? All of my animals were abused, abandoned, thrown away on the streets and they are the most wonderful creatures I have ever known. I want every animal to know what my animals know, what it's like to have love and compassion and to never be cold, hungry, abused.
If you have furry babies, give them a hug from me! :paw:
:puppy: we have tons of belly rubs here.. I work with children that are neglected and abused so I know what ppl can do to children, some even treat their animals kinder but rarely. I would go crazy if I tried to help them all. What they teach us is to focus on helping one at a time. I work to make a difference in one person's life, knowing I can't do it all. Trust me it helps, so that you are not so frustrated. The world is full of evil and horrible ppl. :(

I hate people too who leave there dogs outside chained up all day long, we had a neighbor like that and this was in the winter.
or in the hot summer w/ no water or on a short chain and can't reach the water :mad:

I went to my local spca and found 3 baby chow chow puppies, the sign on the gate where the puppies were said not adoptable. I went and asked why and the lady said "there getting ready to be put down" when I asked why she said well the 2 girls ( there were 2 girls one boy) are growling at each other. The she looked me in the face and said they are full blooded chows and chows are very nasty dogs and dont make good pets.......
:number1: incredible story..responsible owners make such a difference.

I feel your pain. I currently have 2 neighbors that recently got dogs. They are "outdoor" dogs whatever that means. Why have a dog if you are just going to lock it up outside and never spend time with it? Now both dog bark non-stop. I feel sorry for the dogs because I know they are probably lonely and bored. I get really irritated with the neighbors because in my mind they are not responsible pet owners and the barking drives me nuts.
Were you next door to my sister?

I've always believed the world would be better if people were as good as their pets think they are. Oh and for those wondering yes I do have 2 incredible 2 legged children.
I love my kids too but they know the pups are helpless and like dependent babies and they come first :puppy: -- I love this smilie..

Marilyn Michetti
03-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Our sweet Dakota, a Chow-Lab mix, is the love of our lives. She was dumped on a sidewalk six years ago, this coming April 15. An elderly lady found her, and I happened to be driving by, and saw the lady bent over holding her chest, so I stopped. (:She was actually holding her bathrobe shut). She had seen a car stop and put this little four week old puppy on the far side of the sidewalk where she w;ould be seen. I took her, promising to find her a home, and well........we'll celebrate her birthday in a couple of weeks. She's intelligent, and shiny as a penny. She thinks she's in charge here, and nobody is disputing that.

Cody is the love of our lives. All she wants in return is a ride in the car, peanut butter crackers, and lots of belly rubs. She sleeps with DH part of the night, then comes in my room for the rest.

We would drown before we would leave her alone during a flood, and would share our last morsle of food with her.

Pets arent possessions that you take then get rid of - they're living creatures that love and committ to their humans. No matter what happens, they stay with us - love shining out of their eyes.

You're not alone on this thread. I'm happy to add my little Cody love to the group.:puppy:

Ed
03-23-2008, 07:31 AM
A few years ago while struggling to get over the loss of a wonderful multi-breed mutt who graciously allowed us to share his life for 19 years, I came across the following:

The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its' clouds upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and poverty, in health and sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, when the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer; he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master, as if he were a prince.When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its' journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger to fight his enemies; and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its' embrace, and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This quote is attributed to Senator George Graham Vest during the 1870 Burden v. Hornsby court case in Warrensburg, Missouri. Sen. Vest's oratory (above is only a portion of Sen. Vest's speech; the latter half of it has been lost to history) won the case of Charles Burden, whose favorite dog, Old Drum, had wandered onto the property of Burden's neighbor, Leonidas Hornsby. Hornsby made good his promise to shoot the first dog that wandered onto his property; that dog being Old Drum. He did this even though he had previously hunted with the dog and acknowledged him as one of the best hunters he'd ever seen.

Burden sued Hornsby for damages. Following several appeals, the case reached the Supreme Court of the State of Missouri. Burden received an award of $50.00 in damages for the loss of his canine. The Warrensburg Chamber of Commerce and dog-lovers around the country had erected a statue of Old Drum on the lawn of the Johnson County Courthouse lawn in Warrensburg on September 23, 1958. It is said that this speech provided the origin of the phrase, "A man's best friend is his dog."

I couldn't possibly agree more! :puppy: