PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it?

Mrs Bus Driver
03-20-2008, 02:59 PM
I would like to hear from those of you with experience, using the 7 month window how hard is it to make reservations for early Oct at a resort other then your own? This is something I would like to know before I buy.
Thanks in advance:mickey:

wendy*darling
03-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I happen to have just made reservations for early October myself.

I made our ressies for VWL at 11 months, but we really wanted to stay at the BVC this time. I needed 2 studios and was a little nervous about being able to get 2 rooms for5 nights during Food & Wine and the Halloween Party.

I was very pleased that it was as easy as pie!
I got all 5 nights for both rooms. No wait list- as I was expecting.

Now- this was just my experience this time. As more and more people join DVC, the smaller resorts- like BCV- will be harder to get at 7 months. Not impossible, just difficult.

I'll also add that had we not been able to get the Beach Club, we would have tried Boardwalk or been just as happy to stay at VWL.

Make sure you purchase at a resort you want to stay at. It's fun to move around and experience the different resorts- but if there is no room- you should love what you have!

Hammer
03-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Well, I had the exact opposite experience as Linda. I just reached my 7 month window for my October Food and Wine trip (going 10/11-10/18) and was unable to get a reservation for a studio at either BCV or BWV. I was able to get OKW, which was great for us as my sister now gets a real bed instead of a sofa bed. She was willing to deal with a sofa bed for the Epcot location ;) . My home resort is SSR and we would not have had any problem with staying there.

crazykids
03-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Haven't tried for early October yet, but just to give you an idea on other times - I got a reservation for 4 nights in a studio this May at BWV w/ boardwalk view at 6 months out & 13 nights in a one bedroom at BCV 7 months out for August. I just came back from a 5 night stay in a studio at Saratoga Springs I booked 2 months out. We purchased at VAK last year & I have yet to stay there. So far no problem w/ anything I've tried. With the last trip that was 2 months out, the only resorts available were SS & OKW. It's not impossible to stay at other resorts, but I'm sure it gets a little harder during peak times.

DVC2004
03-20-2008, 05:11 PM
I just called at 7 months for BW or BC and I got BW for early October. The only place I ever have issues getting into is BC. However, I have never waitlisted for it either. I used waitlist once for early October and got what I had requested.

tundramom
03-20-2008, 07:56 PM
We just did it no problem- beginner's luck? Had SSR booked at 11 mo. called and got OKW at 7 mo. Granted, it's not BC but since this was post cruise we were trying to stay comparable in points (actually saved some) and experience something new.:thumbsup:

lockedoutlogic
03-21-2008, 07:28 AM
As I stated on another thread....we called at 9:05 on the day of the 7th month window and couldn't get anything other than OKW or SSR....which everyone knows are the default locations...always last to fill...rarely a waitlist

the experience is the same for my wife and I and her parents....

Now we are on the waitlist for everywhere (booked at OKW currently)....and will most likely get something...I'd say a 95% chance this far out....

but there is some difficulty...since my father in law has a big 1 day off (columbus day)...then they insisted on going that week...I told them it would be too crowded to get a reservation easily...as all days off are an excuse for people to go and makes the resorts jammed....as it turned out to be for the DVC locations

Simba's Mom
03-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I called at 7 months recently for a BWV standard view studio. Although a studio wasn't available, a 1 BR standard view was available at 7 months. Quite a surprise to me, since I thought those were usually tough to book.

DisneyGiant
03-22-2008, 12:33 PM
I haven't had a problem yet.

But then again - I usually want 2 bedrooms which are the least popular.

I haven't had to stay at Saratoga yet. :secret:

JMTStone
03-22-2008, 03:33 PM
We attempted a June BCV trip just 7 months out and it wasn't available. We were forced to suffer with Boardwalk (sarcasm). I plan to try each resort and then some. SSR is my home and we've been there for our Thanksgiving trip (not a big deal to book at all - even during that busy time).

Good luck.

lockedoutlogic
03-22-2008, 05:09 PM
I called at 7 months recently for a BWV standard view studio. Although a studio wasn't available, a 1 BR standard view was available at 7 months. Quite a surprise to me, since I thought those were usually tough to book.

i can't really figure out why the 1 bedrooms are popular at all....it sleeps the same amount of people for double the points.....

DVC Mike
03-22-2008, 07:35 PM
i can't really figure out why the 1 bedrooms are popular at all....it sleeps the same amount of people for double the points.....

Even though there is only two of us, we always book a 1-BR instead of a studio.

We love the whirlpool tub, full kitchen, washer/dryer, and the living room. If I wake up early, I can go into the living room while my wife still sleeps.

We are spoiled by the 1-BR units!

JMTStone
03-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I like the 1 bedroom because of the tub, washer/dryer AND we have a space where we can close the door on our kids.

Sharon1026
03-23-2008, 09:15 AM
As I stated on another thread....we called at 9:05 on the day of the 7th month window and couldn't get anything other than OKW or SSR....which everyone knows are the default locations...always last to fill...rarely a waitlist

the experience is the same for my wife and I and her parents....

Now we are on the waitlist for everywhere (booked at OKW currently)....and will most likely get something...I'd say a 95% chance this far out....

but there is some difficulty...since my father in law has a big 1 day off (columbus day)...then they insisted on going that week...I told them it would be too crowded to get a reservation easily...as all days off are an excuse for people to go and makes the resorts jammed....as it turned out to be for the DVC locations

Default locations? They are larger than the other resorts, which is why the are last to fill - they have more rooms!

I prefer SSR to the other locations - it's away from the hustle and bustle and I feel that I can actually relax when the day is done.

Boardwalk is nice, but who wants to hear all that noise every night your entire trip?

lockedoutlogic
03-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Default locations? They are larger than the other resorts, which is why the are last to fill - they have more rooms!

I prefer SSR to the other locations - it's away from the hustle and bustle and I feel that I can actually relax when the day is done.

Boardwalk is nice, but who wants to hear all that noise every night your entire trip?

everyone's opinion varies....

but yes.....okw and saratoga are the default locations....as they have no closeby gated themepark....and typically less dining options...at a minimum....as part of the resort....they also feature rooms that are more distant than others from the central hubs...as anyone who has stayed out on the hook at OKW or in a "reedy creek firehouse" view at Saratoga can attest....

If every vacation club location had the same number of rooms......

saratoga and okw would still be the last booked....akv will probably be similar when completely

take that to the bank

for the record....i don't like saratoga....too many units...not enough food....and it just still feels like the disney institute ghost town to me...at times....access to the marketplace is nice though

OKW is a great spot...as the point values are a great deal....and i like Olivia's, goods to go...and their pool area

but beach, boardwalk, wilderness, animal kingdom, and contemp will be better....no question

Maleficent's Dad
03-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Well, we travel with kids. Having two rooms is a very nice thing - the kids can go to sleep at a reasonable time and we can stay awake and watch TV, eat, etc... Something not doable in a studio. Throw in the laundry and kitchen, and the 1BR makes perfect sense for us.
Although admittedly, we usually break up longer trips with some time in a studio to save points, then move on into a 1BR. This is particularly advantageous when you're staying on a Friday & Saturday night.

I've never understood this argument...
We've stayed at the BWV numerous times. The only "noise" we've ever heard outside is that from fireworks (Illuminations or even Fantasmic). Never have we been disturbed by the noise on the Boardwalk; even when we've had Boardwalk views!

I must agree with lockedoutlogic that OKW and SSR are, essentially, "default locations." These two resorts are the only DVC's usually not filled if you make last minute plans.