PDA

View Full Version : two resale purchases, or one?

Grandbuddy
03-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Haunting these boards pretty regularly, as we want to buy into DVC later in the year. Have seen some indications that one large contract may be less flexible than two or three smaller ones. Would closing costs be appreciably more on, say, two 125 point resale contracts, than on one 250 point contract?

vizsla
03-20-2008, 05:57 AM
:mickey:Welcome to Intercot:mickey:

When buying into the DVC it really would be in your best interest to purchase all your points for one resort, and look at a resort you know you would like to stay at every trip if nothing else was available. The reason is because the DVC has become more popular over the last few years and having smaller point alloments from multiple resorts could make it a little more difficult when booking a trip due to the booking window for Home Resorts to non-Home Resorts. Some resorts fill up very quick depending on the time of year. As far as closong costs, they would average out to be the same wether you purchased a few small contracts or a large one. One thing to keep in mind is with several small contracts, and if from various resorts, your annual dues and maint. fees will vary for each reosrt.

Grandbuddy
03-20-2008, 09:02 AM
I really do have in mind buying all points at one resort - looking most seriously at SSR because of the longer contract (I won't be alive that long, but it would benefit my grandchildren!). The question would be, since large contracts can't be split up for later sale, or for division as part of my estate, might it be adviseable to make the initial purchase(s) more manageable, smaller numbers of points - for future flexibility.

doodleboy
03-20-2008, 09:10 AM
You would want to make sure that the month for your usage year is the same on all the contracts for the same resort. Otherwise you may run into issues booking vacations 11 months out at your home resort and 7 months out at others, if you are using multiple contracts for the same vacation that is.

Disoriented
03-20-2008, 06:27 PM
You are correct it will be easier to sell two smaller contracts than one large one if the need arrises.

You could take a hit with the closing costs on the smaller packages. A recent email that I recieved from one of the brokers at The Timeshare Store, listed a 30 pt. contract with closing costs of $322, a 150 pt contract with c.c. at $475 and a 220 point contract with c.c. at $525.

And I agree with the previous posters, buy all of your contracts with the same UY

Grandbuddy
03-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Offered a contract today on a 160-point resale at SSR. I'll look for a similar contract - with the same use year - when I save up some more money! (Assuming this one makes it through ROFR.)