PDA

View Full Version : 20k

rmsongs
03-19-2008, 08:39 PM
I've been out of the "Disney Loop" for a bit; are they still talking about somehow revamping 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? I understand the issues they had with the ride, especially with slow loading and it not being handicapped accesible, but it was always one of my favorites and I hate to see the space wasted.

HairyBear
03-19-2008, 08:49 PM
The space that the ride took up has been used up with Ariels Grotto and Poohs Thoughtful place. I don't know where they would put it.

mickey98
03-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Sad to say but NO. Disney has scrapped the 20k idea completely. Talking to a C.M. on our last trip, they have kicked around diffrent ideas for the location, however nothing final, Hope they do someting with it soon. It is a shame to have the wasted space.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-19-2008, 09:38 PM
...It is a shame to have the wasted space.

Pooh's playground and Ariel's Grotto, which both my daughter frequents every time we go, fill the space where 20K used to be... I wouldn't really say it is wasted space.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
03-19-2008, 09:56 PM
It is a shame. I don't understand why it was feasible to redo Disneyland's 20K into the Nemo version, but not in WDW.

:confused:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
It is a shame. I don't understand why it was feasible to redo Disneyland's 20K into the Nemo version, but not in WDW.

:confused:

well, they had completely taken it out before Finding Nemo came out...

Love of Disney
03-19-2008, 10:43 PM
The was a classic ride...miss it!! :(

SBETigg
03-19-2008, 10:58 PM
I've heard that keeping the lagoon clean was an enormous undertaking, and very expensive. I think this was part of the decision in not replacing it. Also, WDW has plenty of Nemo themed attractions with the Living Seas and with the Nemo show at the AK. But I really miss this ride, too.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
03-20-2008, 12:28 AM
well, they had completely taken it out before Finding Nemo came out...I realize that and that this is all hindsight anyway but Disneyland did not fill in their lagoon with a playground - it sat and eventually became something similar to the original. I'm sure their 20K ride had the same high cost maintenance issues as WDW's, I'm just curious why only one was paved over.

MushuMulan
03-20-2008, 12:36 AM
I think what she mean was that at DL they still had the original subs from 20k to use for the Finding Nemo ride because they hadn't completely cleared the area (at least that's what I think she meant).

I'm sure they still have some leftover subs, or they can even make new ones, for the a Nemo ride in WDW.

I wouldn't be suprised if in the next year you saw construction on the Nemo Ride begin.

Belle619
03-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Granted Finding Nemo hadn't come out before the ride was removed, but The Little Mermaid could have been a possiblity, correct?

I've been on the Nemo ride at DLR and it really turned out great. It is such a shame that they couldn't have come up with a similar idea at WDW.

I know that area is popular with small children now, but with the looks I saw on kids faces when riding Nemo, it still would have been a fun family area with a new sub ride.

#1donaldfan
03-20-2008, 12:27 PM
I sure miss it !!!! It's truly gone forever.....:ill:

elmjimmlm
03-22-2008, 09:39 PM
I remember this from when I was little...I wish that it was still there so my kids could experience it too...

DigitalDaredevil
03-23-2008, 11:24 AM
As a young child, I thought it was something adventurously special. I was in a submarine! Does it get better than this?
A classic Disney attraction closed. I understand the reasons of closing rides: economics, ridership, maintenance, etc, but WDW shouldn't take out a major attraction and replace it with a playground. I am sure the kids like it, but there are playgrounds everywhere. The Pooh playground is nothing special and a disservice to the legendary attraction that it is taking the place of.
I do like the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" playground. That is a bit different and unique.