PDA

View Full Version : Please rate the Coral Reef Restaurant

Disney Yankee
03-19-2008, 07:45 PM
We are planning on taking my parents to the Coral Reef in August. It's their first trip with their grandchildren. How would you rate this restaurant?

EvilQueen2006
03-19-2008, 08:58 PM
I rated it Very Good. I was very impressed with the meal I had at Coral Reef, and the chocolate wave was to die for. I did not give it an excellent because I don't think it is a great value. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I would rather go to a California Grill.

Zippy 1
03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
We really enjoyed our meal at Coral Reef! The food was great and our server was excellent. The only reason I gave it only a very good was how expensive it was. We probably would not go again if it was OOP.

E-OR
03-19-2008, 10:07 PM
We ate there for the first time last September for our 25th anniversary and are planning to eat here again this coming September with our two boys. I had the steak and my husband had the Mahi Mahi. We both really enjoyed our meal but our server was horrible. We were on the meal plan and he automatically got a nice tip. At other places we ate we gave the server an additional tip but this guy was lucky we were on the meal plan and he was getting anything. We are looking forward to eating here again and will hope for friendly service.

JuicyMoose17
03-19-2008, 10:45 PM
It was nice. It's something you have to do at least once just to eat under the sea.

There's a great "make your own sundae" for the kids.

Another great thing is that there are more options than just the typical seafood.

Enjoy!

SBETigg
03-19-2008, 11:01 PM
For us, it's a solid Do Not Go There! We had one of our worst experiences ever at Coral Reef. But, honestly, I wouldn't tell you not to go. As with every restaurant, there are good nights and bad. We had a bad. It's not always like that. The atmosphere is lovely. I've heard rumors that the food and service can be good, too, but I can't speak for that.

snifflesmcg
03-19-2008, 11:47 PM
I agree with what a few of you put. I rated it very good for the fact that it is a bit pricey. I've been there twice and enjoyed it both times. Great atmosphere (one of the best in WDW) great service and great food!

Natazu
03-20-2008, 02:59 AM
I agree with pretty much everyone. It's pricey, the food can be excellent. The service can be excellent. The food can be poor. The service can be bad.

It hasn't been very consistent since the change to non-signature dining. We go every couple of trips.

applecore72
03-20-2008, 03:33 AM
We ate there in October 2006 so it's been a while, but it was the best dinng experience we had.

The food was wonderful (very good fish dishes), the restaurant itself was special and very nice and quiet (even though there were a lot of children inside) - maybe because the tables are not that close together. Our server was the best we had at DW!

An excellent experience!

:thumbsup:

ThanxForNoticin
03-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Let me start by saying we have friends who love it there. But we have had too many bad experiences with food and service - we won't go back again. There are too many other restaurants we love to visit instead. If you go, I hope it's a good experience for you.

moe513
03-20-2008, 07:37 AM
When you combine the food with the atmosphere I give it a very good.

jwallace378
03-20-2008, 08:12 AM
The main attraction here was the atmosphere. But, I must say that the food was pretty good as well!!

yjgirl715
03-20-2008, 08:45 AM
I loved this place- the only reason they got a very good rating from me is because of the time we had to wait for our reservation- we had to wait 40 minutes which isn't too bad, but we had been there 15 minutes early and they said they couldn't seat us till our time and then when it came to our time they said they were full. The food was very good and i'm a very picky eater- don't like any seafood. The atmosphere was the best. My DS 3 loved it- we kept playing I spy so he didn't mind the wait. You have to experience it at least once.

DDuck66
03-20-2008, 09:53 AM
It has been about 3 years since we went there. The food was some of the worst I had ever had so needless to say we have not been back. The desserts were Fantastic!!!!...but that did not make up for the high priced bad food and poor service that we experienced.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
03-20-2008, 11:26 AM
We took my parents and our kids last spring break to DW. We ate at Coral Reef on the DDP and had a fabulous meal. The scenery is great to food is very good. I have heard stories of terrible service and long waits. Fortunately for us we experinced neither and we went back on the free DDP in Sept. with our friends and 5 kids.

Charlee
03-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Personally, I love the Coral Reef, the atmosphere's good, the food's great and the service is of a high standard. It's one of the ADR's I was ordered to make for our upcoming trip as everyone wanted to go back!

GrmGrninGost
03-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Coral Reef has quickly become one of my two favorite restaurants at WDW! We had not tried it until 2006. Now, you can't keep me out! The best meal we've had during our last two vacations to WDW were at Coral Reef! On top of that, myself and my family absolutely love the atmosphere! What a wonderful place to spend a couple of hours! I am so looking forward to September when I will be going back for another fantastic meal! :mickey:

MsMin
03-20-2008, 08:04 PM
I loved the Coral Reef and I don't see why ppl say it's so expensive??? It doesn't cost any more than LeCellier and I had a better meal at CR. It's about the same as the bonefish grill or other popular restaurants. WE plan to go back in Oct 08!!

Seasonscraps
03-20-2008, 08:33 PM
I really enjoyed my meal there. The ambiance was unique, the service was good (we were never looking for anything) and the food was delish!

The only thing I didn't like was the crazy wait. We had ADRs for 5.50, got there at 5.40-5.45 and didnt get a table until closer to 7.00.

sbnewbride
03-21-2008, 01:06 PM
My husband and I really enjoyed the Coral Reef when we were at Disney last week. It was our first time there and everything was good from the service to the dessert. We didn't pay attention to prices since on the DDP.

The only thing I would keep in mind though is that the dining room is kind of small and crowded and it can get very loud. At least that's what we thought. If you're taking your parents, I know my husband's parents would have hated it because of these things. Just keep in mind. Those were our only (minor) complaints.

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I said excellent. My DH and I really enjoyed the food there when we went in Sept. I had the lobster salad sandwich and lobster bisque. It was delicious! Our service was excellent and we had a great view of the aquarium (1 table over). I'm looking forward to eating there again.

Davyjones
03-21-2008, 01:27 PM
I gave it an average solely based on the food. If you're talking the whole experience (food, atmosphere, ambience, service, etc.), I would rate it good. It is neat to eat dinner and watch the fish swim by.

:eat: :shark::shark::crab::crab::fishbowl::dory:

ncrohrs
03-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Very good was my vote. Here is the breakdown:

Atmosphere: excellent
Service: very good
Food: very good

I would go there again, but I would not make it one of my "must do's"

Nicole

Soul_Power
03-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I thought the food at Coral Reef was really good. It wasn't the meal of my life or anything, but it was definitely good! You can't beat the view! :fishbowl:

LandFan
03-22-2008, 09:09 PM
DH and I had a fabulous meal there last November! The catfish was amazing! I was lucky enough to book the diver and get the custom made menus to surprise DH with for our 6th anniversary. Boy was he surprised! It ended up being our best meal of the week - with Le Cellier being a close second.:thumbsup:

JCDarzi
03-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Loved the food and the fish tank kept the kids occupied while waiting for the food.

Great food + quiet kids = excellent restaurant

Mickey91
03-24-2008, 12:21 AM
We loved this place!! The food is excellent and the atmosphere is wonderful!!

mom4disney
03-24-2008, 05:12 PM
We have been there twice. The first time was OK. The food was subpar. The service was fine. The atmosphere was out of this world worderful. The second time we were there our meal was 3 1/2 hours long! The service was horrible. The food was fine. The atmosphere was once again wonderful. This would have been a great meal if we were not there for so long. Almost four hours with two kids in tow was a miserable experience.