PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who have stayed at GF....

Lillex
03-19-2008, 01:54 PM
did you like it?? So many people say they think the GF is stuffy etc but I am not sure if they have ever stayed there. If you have stayed there...did you enjoy your stay and was it what you expected??

Tygger7
03-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Just my two cents...

I've visited and walked around GF on every trip I've taken to WDW since 1988. Personally, I won't stay there because it does feel stuffy. I equate it to being in someone's house with a lot of high-end, fragile art & china. I'm stressed the entire time I'm there, worrying I'm going to trip, fall into something, and break something really expensive. It just doesn't fit our family or our personalities.

We love the WL, and if I couldn't stay there, I'd choose the Poly or Ft. Wilderness Cabins long before I'd ever consider GF. I know a lot of people love it, but it's not the atmosphere I find relaxing. But then again, I'm a little on the "redneck" side of the fence. :D

prprincess
03-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I stayed there once, albeit one night (our wedding night), and I absolutely loved it. Everytime we visit the world, I love to stop by the GF just to walk around.

I didn't feel like it was stuffy at all, but I do love to stay at higher end hotels when I travel.

Lillex
03-19-2008, 02:18 PM
I love to stay at high end hotels also and have stayed at WL, Poly and BC. I loved them all but they are also very relaxed.

I am doing this as a special treat for my two daughters for Christmas. They are going to get the special castle cake, do the cooking class, pirate cruise etc and I think it will be soo special to stay. We are just very relaxed people and I am hoping I am doing the right thing by choosing GF!

gauvin4
03-19-2008, 02:29 PM
I know a lot of people love it, but it's not the atmosphere I find relaxing. But then again, I'm a little on the "redneck" side of the fence. :D

:funny: I guess that makes me a redneck too!! :blush: I like to visit, but I do not have any interest in staying there!!

pox24
03-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Its fabulous place to stay. Each visit gets better and better. Yes it can be stuffy but we don't care. Our visits there are for our enjoyment. The CM's have always been great. Can't wait for our next visit. Gonna try a tower room this time.:thumbsup:

Lillex
03-19-2008, 02:58 PM
I wonder if it is the main building that seems stuffy. The outside lodges remind me of the Poly in a way.

SBETigg
03-19-2008, 03:01 PM
It doesn't feel stuffy to us at all. When I stay there, I'm very relaxed and comfortable. I think the stuffiness is an expectation or an attitude that visitors bring with them to the GF, or it just doesn't appeal to everyone, just as there are resorts that appeal less to me. The Grand Floridian is our favorite and I'm completely at home there, even in shorts and tees (though not at the nicer restaurants ;)).

seeyarlsn
03-19-2008, 03:22 PM
We LOVE the GF! It is so convient and I never have a problem with it being too stuffy. We stay both in the main building and in the outer lodges and are treated the same! I think it is something that you need to experience! If you like high end hotels then go for it!

Tygger7
03-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Now that I think about it....I think it might have to do something with my DH. You see, he doesn't really "fit" the profile of the type of person you'd normally expect to see at GF. He's a "semi-retired" guitarist :rocker:, and has spent most of his life playing in rock and/or cover bands :drummer:. So I think the waist-length hair :animal: and multiple tattoos might have something to do with it...we get a lot of strange looks :eyes::jaw:, but seem to get noticed a LOT whenever we visit GF. But then again, we get strange looks most places we go.

That, and we both work for an insurance company...a business that's not know for being relaxed and friendly. I get it now....I think I associate the GF with where I work! Eeek!!!:faint:

Ok, all kidding aside....GF is a beautiful resort, it's just not for everyone. That's the great thing about WDW...there are hotels, resorts, and attractions for all different tastes and preferences. We also love fishing, camping :camp:, and hunting, which I know isn't for everyone. We don't go to "fancy" restaurants, and don't enjoy them...but we do love Whispering Canyon. "If directions to your house include the words, 'turn off of the paved road', you might be a redneck." Yes, that's us to a tee.:goof:

SurferStitch
03-19-2008, 03:49 PM
I love to stay at high end hotels also and have stayed at WL, Poly and BC. I loved them all but they are also very relaxed.

I am doing this as a special treat for my two daughters for Christmas. They are going to get the special castle cake, do the cooking class, pirate cruise etc and I think it will be soo special to stay. We are just very relaxed people and I am hoping I am doing the right thing by choosing GF!

DH and I are also very relaxed people, and the GF is our very favorite resort. We've stayed there many times, and have loved it every time. You and your family will LOVE staying there.

It's not stuffy at all. Rooms are elegant, but very comfortably appointed. Colors are soft, and there are no expensive knick-knacks sitting around that you have to worry about breaking....a lamp, a clock, TV....the basics.

The lobby is gorgeous, and we love to listen to the orchestra or the pianist. We have stayed in the Royal Palm Club in the main building before (along with lagoon view rooms prior to that), and it was so relaxing to hear the orchestra in our room in the evenings while we got ready to head to dinner, or while we had concierge offerings on the floor above the orchestra. We also loved staying in Boca Chica and Big Pine Key. Great lagoon views. We are trying a garden view this time since we saved so much with our AP.

The staff is very friendly, just like at any other resort. The flower arrangements in the main lobby are stunning, and the fragrance fills the air. The shops are great, and I always get myself a few little treasures when we visit. The ladies who work in M. Mouse Mercantile are so friendly, and I love to stop in and chat with them.

It may look very elegant, but it's just as comfortable and relaxed as any other resort. People still wear shorts and tees, still have their refillable mugs, and still have children in tow.

The thing is, DH and I are the kind of people that can enjoy a day at a NASCAR race, dinner at V&A the next, a Brooks and Dunn concert the next, and an evening at a Broadway show after that. Tanks and shorts, or evening gown and tux, we love it all. We are part redneck, and part fancy-shmancy. There is no mold you have to fit to stay there.

We can't wait to return in May!!!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
03-19-2008, 07:15 PM
We've stayed at the GF twice (that's my DH & two preschool children). We've never felt that it was stuffy. No one made us feel uncomfortable about having active, excited kids. I didn't notice anyone being "snobby. I can't imagine why someone would have to mistreat someone else in order to have a good time.

I personally don't know why people feel that the GF is a palace - it's definetly not Versailles. It's a nice but not extremely luxurious hotel - there are no original artworks and there is no reknowned architecture (for that I guess it's the WL). The carpeting and decor are nice, but still mostly have that "generic nice hotel" feel.

I think that how you feel when you are anywhere is in your head. It's your money, your good time and it's Disney World!!! The people who work at the GF are paid to please you and make sure your vacation is wonderful.

If you have any specific questions, please ask. I hope you have a wonderful vacation no matter where you stay!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
03-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Now that I think about it....I think it might have to do something with my DH. You see, he doesn't really "fit" the profile of the type of person you'd normally expect to see at GF. He's a "semi-retired" guitarist :rocker:, and has spent most of his life playing in rock and/or cover bands :drummer:. So I think the waist-length hair :animal: and multiple tattoos might have something to do with it...we get a lot of strange looks :eyes::jaw:, but seem to get noticed a LOT whenever we visit GF. But then again, we get strange looks most places we go.

:goof:

You ROCK!! :thumbsup: I personally love it when people have the guts to be themselves no matter where they are! That's what makes the world interesting and fun. I'm sure those people who stare have some stories to tell about how they used to dress back when they didn't care about what other people thought.

sillyolbear
03-20-2008, 09:01 AM
We honeymooned at the GF and loved the resort. Prior to joining DVC, we enjoyed the Poly and the WL as well.

One of the great things about WDW is that there is a place that just about everyone can find that allows them to be themselves.

Aggie97
03-20-2008, 04:05 PM
We've stayed at the Grand Floridian and really enjoyed it. While the resort is elegant and beautiful, we didn't feel it was stuffy. Pretty much everyone (except in the nicer restaurants) is in park attire, and there are lots of little kids around. We would stay there more often, but we really like being able to walk to the TTC from the Polynesian instead! :mickey:

busterthebronco
03-20-2008, 07:35 PM
i think just by your worry of it being stuffy tells you its is.
having said that, i am pretty much a full blown good 'ol boy and nobody has ever made me feel uncomfortable there and we've stayed the a handful of times.
its really all in your head.
but its in everybodys head so it indeed has a stuffy atmoshere.
i just turn on the old southern gentleman charm and i fit right in!
go for it!

DizneyFanz
03-20-2008, 08:55 PM
We have always enjoyed our stays at the Grand Floridian. We don't find it stuffy at all. That being said, it's not our favorite WDW resort, that honor belongs to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and The Boardwalk Resort.

Lillex
03-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks everyone! We are going to book during the week of Christmas to New Years? Anyone stay in Sugar Loaf?? The RPC price is out of reach.

We have decided between Sugar Loaf or garden view (even though I am tempted by the MK view)

Would you spring for SL during the holiday time?

DreamFinder2
03-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Just got back from a week at Sugar Loaf. We were really impressed with the service and our standard view (garden) room on the ground floor was perfect.

I'll be posting a trip report in a few days and I'll post links to pictures, etc.

KAT1811
03-23-2008, 10:03 PM
What a great thread. DH, I and our three DDs (11, 3, & 1) are staying at the GF in November and I too have heard the rumors of it being "stuffy". DH and I are very down to earth people who enjoy the finer things in life but we enjoy them with people equally laid back. We live in an area with a lot of "stuffy" people whom we tend to stear clear of. One of the reasons we choose to vacation at WDW is that everyone (for the most part) is friendly and kind. I think that the GF is going to work nicely for us after all of this feedback. We have friends that stay there (concierge) religiously and love it (the main reason DH is set on GF over the other monerail resorts). WDW is a place for everyone to be themselves and have good clean fun. There isn't another place in the world we would rather be with our family.

HairyBear
03-23-2008, 10:34 PM
We have not stayed at the resort but have visited several times. You will probably like it very much as many hotels that charge major $$$ for really just want you to enjoy yourself no matter who you are. I got the impression that it was for singles or families that attend classical music performances. The one thing that I would watch are the service carts zipping up and down the pathways. Walking around we were constantly dodging speeding carts even on the sidewalks. My DD and guests in our party were 7-10 so no toddlers were in our group but if I had a toddler I would watch them closely as the workers seemed very intent on getting to work and ran up on us adults quickly. I would hope they would see the little ones in time!:oops::ambal:

DreamFinder2
03-23-2008, 11:02 PM
I noticed this, too, last week when we were there. However, almost without exception, the CM would slow down as they came up on us and would ALWAYS acknowledge us with a "hello" or "excuse us/me".

I would keep an eye out, though, if you have little ones with you.

jakeybake
03-24-2008, 06:38 PM
I just got back from the GF. Stayed there for the second time at the beginning of the month.

I absolutely love the resort and at one time it was easily my favorite. That was until I stayed at the Beach Club and absolutely fell in love with the place.

The GF can feel stuffy but it is a beautiful, well layed out and elegant resort. The pools, restaraunts and proximity to the monorail are all pluses.

We have two young children (DS - 9, DD - 6) and we felt like the Beach Club was perfect for our family but would stay at the GF if the BC was booked.

Belle619
03-25-2008, 03:57 PM
... It's your money, your good time and it's Disney World!!!

I agree - it is Disney afterall not the Buckingham palace. A lot of people I talk to think I'm a snob because we choose to stay at the delux resorts, but it's Disney - just more expensive - you can still act "Goofy" and no one cares!

Tigerinvestigator
03-26-2008, 01:49 PM
We stayed at the GF last year for the first time, and we were a little apprehensive about how formal everything was( especially with our 3yr old wrecking ball daughter). We absolutley loved the resort and did not find it stuffy at all. It was much quieter than many of the other deluxe resorts we have stayed at. Reminded me of a cross between the Poly (because of location and the way the houses are set up) and the Yacht and Beach Clubs (elegant but fun). If we can ever afford it again we will not hesitate to stay there!:thumbsup:

mickey&missy
03-26-2008, 04:40 PM
We just got back from a week at GF. We were there March 8th - 15th to be exact.

We didn't find it stuffy at all. We had a fantastic time!

We were upgraded to Sugar Loaf Concierges, which was wonderful! The service was spectacular, the staff was top notch, and every little nock and cranny of the resort was impeccable!! It was truly a "Grand" experience.

I did find, in a few cases, people who were a bit to stuffy for my liking. An older "gentleman" who was talking down to the concierge staff in the Sugar Loaf building and seemed bothered my those of us who had children. There will be rude people any place you go so we just try to ignore it.

That being said, we found that GF, to us, doesn't feel as much Disney as some of the other resorts. It feels like a very nice hotel. I guess thats good and bad, depending on who you are and what your looking for.

No matter, the GF is a wonderful resort and I'd recommend it to anyone! We'll definitely stay there again in the future!

tnpoohbear
03-26-2008, 10:43 PM
We stayed there last March for DD 16th birthday. I was always hesitant about it because I thought it would be to snooty! But DD always wanted to stay there when she turned 16 so I caved. I got a good annual pass discount and we stayed there 3 nights. It was absolutely beautiful! The only thing that I did not like is there was not a regular food court like at the moderates or values. But they made us feel very welcome and the room was lovely and comfortable. I told them it was DD birthday when I made the reservation. While I was checking in the castmember at the front desk asked where DD was and I told her she was sitting in the lobby area. A few minutes later another cast member came up to her and gave her a long stem red rose for her birthday! Then I think it was our second night there when we returned to our room that was a solid white chocolate Mickey Mouse on a plate of gourmet cookies, he was holding a chocolate birthday card and she also got a signed picture and birthday note! Well, that was it -- we loved it for sure after that. She brought that chocolate Mickey home and it was in our freezer for months before she caved and ate. it. DD wants to go back there when we go in October but it is my choice time and I am going with the Poly - little cheaper.

I am glad to stayed there atleast once. Perhaps if I can get another good discount I would stay there again, but you are correct, it is expensive.:mickey:

Lillex
03-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies. We did decide to stay at the Sugar Loaf for Christmas for three nights and then move to the Beach Club for the rest of our trip and New Year's Eve. I just wanted to spend Christmas Day someplace special and this looks like it will be beautiful.

I am a little worried about my children at the Sugar Loaf and how people will be...but it is Christmas so most people are hopefully a little kinder this time of year!

I am hoping the Sugar Loaf Staff will help me make this a Christmas my family will not forget.

Ian
03-27-2008, 09:33 AM
We've stayed there 3 or 4 times now and the words I always think of to describe it are "casual elegance."

At first we did find it a little stuffy, but as we got used to it we really came to love it. It's obviously got a more upscale clientele than you'll find at some of the other resorts, but I don't think it's snobby or stuffy really.

I kinda think the atmosphere is one of well-to-do folks on vacation. It's casual, laid back, but still a little "dressy", if you know what I mean.

We love it!

diz_girl
03-28-2008, 11:36 AM
i think just by your worry of it being stuffy tells you its is.
having said that, i am pretty much a full blown good 'ol boy and nobody has ever made me feel uncomfortable there and we've stayed the a handful of times.
its really all in your head.
but its in everybodys head so it indeed has a stuffy atmoshere.
i just turn on the old southern gentleman charm and i fit right in!
go for it!

I agree that it can be in your head. Some people never get farther than the lobby and think that it's a stuffy resort, which is what I thought on my visit to the GF around ten years ago.

We visited the resort again last year when we dined at Narcoossee's. As I walked around the resort grounds, I was thinking to myself that I could definitely stay there. The grounds were definitely relaxing, like at the Poly. So I can't wait until we're able to stay there, which will take a little extra saving for a couple of years.