PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a golf cart?

DunkieKong
03-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Okay, so I'm planning our first trip to Fort Wilderness, and everyone seems to think we need a golf cart to get around. Heres the lowdown:
-We are staying in a cabin(don't know where yet).
-There is six of us.
-We'll probably be in the parks most of the time.
- we are staying 6 nights

It seems kind of expensive for us to rent a golf cart, and I don't think we'd get a lot of use out ot it. What do you think? Thanks

russk42
03-19-2008, 10:57 AM
You don't need a golf cart for Ft. Wilderness, if you're fit enough to do the walking required at any of the theme parks (e.g. EPCOT--World Showcase) since even the most remote sites are within 100yds of a bus stop.

During opening hours ( and a little before and after park open/close) the buses run frequently, and they're air conditioned and rain proof! Many, if not most, of the bus stops have shelters and benches. The buses will take you to the pool, trading post, restaurant, etc... as well as to the transfer points for transportation to the parks.

If you stay at any of the bigger resorts (e.g. All Star); you will be likely to have more walking than at Ft Wilderness; since there's no shuttle from the back of those resorts; whereas at Ft Wilderness, the bus stops are dispersed throughout the resort.
All of the sites we've stayed in were within easy walking distance (1/4-1/2 mile) of either the Meadow or Settlement, so we usually walk or ride bikes.

ibrowse17
03-19-2008, 11:44 AM
While not a must have, they are tons of fun and provide a lot of freedom to your stay. In saying that, it is not worth it if you do not plan to ride and explore FW during the day. Also, 6 is about the limit they allow carts to carry. I think you can make it with out one.:thumbsup:

ibrowse17
03-19-2008, 11:52 AM
You don't need a golf cart for Ft. Wilderness, if you're fit enough to do the walking required at any of the theme parks (e.g. EPCOT--World Showcase) since even the most remote sites are within 100yds of a bus stop.

During opening hours ( and a little before and after park open/close) the buses run frequently, and they're air conditioned and rain proof! Many, if not most, of the bus stops have shelters and benches. The buses will take you to the pool, trading post, restaurant, etc... as well as to the transfer points for transportation to the parks.

If you stay at any of the bigger resorts (e.g. All Star); you will be likely to have more walking than at Ft Wilderness; since there's no shuttle from the back of those resorts; whereas at Ft Wilderness, the bus stops are dispersed throughout the resort.
All of the sites we've stayed in were within easy walking distance (1/4-1/2 mile) of either the Meadow or Settlement, so we usually walk or ride bikes.

DW and I are fit and in good shape, but love carts at FW. Disney can really wear you out, and feet can start to hurt very quickly. If a cart can save us the extra standing time (and also waiting) at the bus stops or the even the short distance to our site, then the more time we have kicked back and off our feet at our site. I agree that the internal buses are nice to have at FW, and are not found at the other resorts, but same with the carts:thumbsup:

DVCWDWMEMBER
03-19-2008, 12:11 PM
We stayed at Ft Wilderness in one of the cabins in 1993 and only rented the golf cart for 24hrs that was enough time for us to go around Ft Wilderness and check things out. As previously posted the bus stops are very close and very convenient. Enjoy your stay we did:mickey:

FloridaTeacher
03-19-2008, 12:14 PM
No - you don't need one and they are very expensive. We walk and never have a problem. I just can't justify spending that much money on something that will just sit there most of the time while we are at the park.

What you might want to do, however, is just rent one for a day or so to explore the Fort in.

faline
03-19-2008, 06:24 PM
I've stayed at Fort Wilderness a number of times and have never rented a golf cart. We were able to manage just fine using Disney transportation.

DestinationWDW
03-19-2008, 06:26 PM
It is true that you do not NEED one, but we were very glad we had one last summer on our trip. We really toiled with it.....it is expensive, but were very happy disembarking off of that full boat onto the dock, walking a short distance and climbing onto our own golf cart and going directly to our little cabin home for the night all by our lonesome selves! :cloud9: Just my opinion.....Happy vacationing!

ps If you even have just an inkling that you think you may want one...book it ASAP! They go quickly! While we were "picking our's up", many were in line trying to get one to NO avail - alass - none available...for weeks....

NJ Camper
03-19-2008, 08:30 PM
AS already stated NEEDED no but they can make your stay a little easier you can bypass the wait for the bus to get to the theme park buses you can drive closer to the boat and hoopdeedoo it can save you some walking and waiting time but it comes with a price thats up to you to decide what your time is worth

busterthebronco
03-19-2008, 10:10 PM
golf carts are nearly our favorite part of FW. :drive::hi:
matter of fact if they didnt have one available we would stay elsewhere.
are they neccesary?
no.

russk42
03-20-2008, 06:54 AM
DW and I are fit and in good shape, but love carts at FW. Disney can really wear you out, and feet can start to hurt very quickly. If a cart can save us the extra standing time (and also waiting) at the bus stops or the even the short distance to our site, then the more time we have kicked back and off our feet at our site. I agree that the internal buses are nice to have at FW, and are not found at the other resorts, but same with the carts:thumbsup:

You're right, carts are fun...and great for tired feet after a long day; but they are expensive, and a luxury rather than a necessity. But luxury is what a vacation is for, no? I'd personally rather spend the $$$ on more and better food and :beer:, and then walk it off;)

DunkieKong
03-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. I think I might try to get one for at least one day, just to explore the whole resort. It does sound convenient to use the carts, but it is expensive to have one for the week.

kminton
03-21-2008, 10:05 AM
We carry our bikes with us when we camp at Disney and elsewhere. BUT we decided on the first trip there that we wanted to have the golf cart for a day - just to explore on our off-day-from-the-parks. It made going to the pool easier and we drove through the other loops to look at other possibilities. Our last trip, we decided to get a cart for 4 days at the end of our trip. It was a lot easier to get off the boat and get in our golf cart with it's lights and get "home". Like someone else said - is it necessary - NO; but it does make life easier - at least for a couple of days. But as someone else said too - reserve it as soon as possible.

Just my opinion,
Kerri