PDA

View Full Version : Tea...anyone?

Genie1953
03-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I know this is going to sound really crazy considering how hot it gets in Florida but I truly love hot tea....is there any place at any of the parks or resorts that stands out in regards to hot tea? :mickey:

Mickey 101
03-18-2008, 11:42 PM
I haven't personally tried either of these, but there is the Grand Floridian Afternoon Tea, of course. Then, at AK, there is the Royal Anandapur Tea Company near EE. I got a delicious frozen coffee drink there when it was HOT last Oct, but I know they specialize in hot tea.

Dznygrl79
03-19-2008, 07:51 AM
The Grand Floridian Tea is wonderful, its a proper afternoon tea with drink and sandwiches. Royal Anadapor(?sp?) in Animal Kingdom in nice. But I always bring my electric kettle with me hop over to England in Epcot and pick up a box of PG Tips or Typhoo. They are good strong black tea.
There is hardly any selection in the values, for hot tea at the food courts. I ordered hot tea with a meal at Olivia's in Old Key West and was given a lipton tea bag, not exactly that great by my standards.

sorarail
03-19-2008, 08:00 AM
I always bring my own tea bags.

Johnno52
03-19-2008, 08:01 AM
The GF is our favorite for afternoon tea. A reservation has to be made. Its not only a cup of tea but a very nice change from WDW activity. I agree with Kbar we also bring a kettle with us as our DVC only has coffee makers and not the right for making good tea. I must disagree tough with the choice of teas as we enjoy "Earl Grey" tea bags, which are also available throughout the resorts. Real milk can also be obtained from any CM around the drinks fountain for tea or coffees. :thumbsup:

LauraF
03-19-2008, 09:54 AM
The GF Tea is not to be missed!

In the parks it's a different story. The Anandapur tea cart is the best, followed closely by a 'cuppa' in England at the R&C in the afternoon. The Chinese pavilion has a tea cart too, but I found everything to be too loaded with sugar for my tastes.

In general I bring my own tea bags from home and an electric kettle to make tea every morning. I let it cool and put it in plastic water bottles to carry around. (I switch to water in the afternoon because caffeine is dehydrating.)

Figaro0826
03-19-2008, 01:16 PM
We love hot tea also. Going to the Afternonn Tea in the Garden Lounge at the GF is must of everytime of ours.
We order the Buckingham Palace.
You both get a pot of tea, (several flovors to pick from). Champagne with strawberries.
Tea sandwiches and dessert.

It's a nice adult thing to do , never seen any kids in there. Top notch service.
Served on Royal Albert's Old country Roses tea settings.
Try to get a window seat nice view of the gardens.:cloud9:

Johnno52
03-19-2008, 02:52 PM
>It's a nice adult thing to do , never seen any kids in there<

I suspect that its an adult pleasure, prudish one that is :-) and the cost of usually around $40-50, makes its more of treat.

Although I do know they have princess tea parties there! and its very nice to see all the girls in their princess outfits.

Figaro0826
03-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Sorry didnt mean to sound "prudish".

We one of those couples who have been trying for 2 years to get pregant, so I have no problem with children, I was just making a statement that I rarely have seen kids there.

Did mean to offend...

ElenitaB
03-19-2008, 07:53 PM
I suspect that its an adult pleasure, prudish one that is :-) and the cost of usually around $40-50, makes its more of treat.
Does my DS-12 count as a kid or an adult? I barely know myself these days... tweens! :shake:

Anyway... back to the OP's question. We have done the GF Tea twice. Once we had the Buckingham Palace tea set, which consists of tea sandwiches, scones and a jam tart, and a dessert. It runs $19.50 a person and you can chose different teas (that is, not everyone has to drink the same tea or even tea... first time we went DS had hot chocolate). Compared to afternoon tea elsewhere, it's actually quite reasonable. This past February we went a la carte and it ran us around $12 a person. It's a lovely, restful experience and not prudish at all. You can read more about it on InfoCentral (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/gftea.asp).

We also took the opportunity to stop at the Royal Anandapur Tea Company. DS passed on tea this time around but I had a lovely cup of chai latte. As soon as I get a chance, I'll post a picture of its menu (and then we'll post the menu on InfoCentral as well).

I'd like to hear more about the chances of afternoon tea at the R&C.

Johnno52
03-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry Figaro the Prudish remark was in reference to my "Adult Pleasures" on the post. :thumbsup:

Natazu
03-20-2008, 03:05 AM
We had a wonderful time on both or our afternoon teas at Grand Floridian. The teas are excellent but I don't think the snacks are a very good value. It's definitely worth a go.

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I too like tea. I might have to try GF next time. I usually just get a cup at Epcot in the UK and just sit outside and enjoy the scenery.

4myprincesses
03-20-2008, 12:54 PM
I've been there with my girls when they were 4 and 5-ish. It was a lovely tea, very calm atmosphere, lots for little ones to see. So long as they aren't the type that need to get down and explore or too picky of an eater they should do fine here. They had the Mrs. Pots Tea and ate nearly every thing brought to them. They enjoyed seeing the tea pots with their "coats" on to keep the cold out :)

They had a princess blend of tea there that was wonderful. I wish I had asked while we were there if we could purchase loose tea to take home with us...anyone know?

I was thinking of sending my mom and older two there (they are now 6 and 7) for tea to celebrate mother's day. My mom isn't the type to keep "stuff" so I am thinking she would enjoy a trip back here with just her granddaughters (I wouldn't take 2 year old twins there, I'd love to go back, but I know my twins better than that!!!)

Lisaj13
03-20-2008, 01:10 PM
I don't think there's anything odd about enjoying hot tea regardless of the weather. After all, people drink coffee all the time. But I probably think that because I'm a tea lover!

Yes, the cart in AK had a wonderful selection of teas. Have a cuppa and relax.

Jared
03-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Do a search in this forum, and you will find elaborate reviews of the Grand Floridian tea by both Ellen and me. I went in October very reluctantly, and now I want to go back.

DizneyFanz
03-20-2008, 05:00 PM
We had a wonderful time on both or our afternoon teas at Grand Floridian. The teas are excellent but I don't think the snacks are a very good value. It's definitely worth a go.

We love our afternoon tea-time at the Grand Garden View Lounge!

True, the snacks are not a great value but they are filling and we usually skip lunch that day- so it works out great for us.:thumbsup:

Jasper
03-20-2008, 05:15 PM
If you are a real hardcore hot tea connoisseur than it is my guess that you will likely be disappointed with the teas other than the High Tea at the Grand Floridian. If you get hot tea elsewhere at the World you likely will get the old Lipton Tea Bag routine. Even if they brew it in the back it is still a good chance it was made that way. As you surmised in your initial post hot tea is not a real specialty at WDW.

offwego
03-21-2008, 10:46 AM
I have gotten nice tea bags from both PORS & CBR (twinnings both english breakfast, Irish breakfast, earl grey and I think if memory serves a prince of wales as well which is one of my faves). The only problem is the hot water option isn't a boiling kettle but it is better then just the hot water from the pot that's been sitting on a warmer thing.

I'm hoping to fit the tea at GF in at our next visit..it sounds like such fun.