PDA

View Full Version : EMHs - AK

MMouse6937
03-18-2008, 07:52 PM
So for the first time this year we're going to spend evening EMHs at AK and wanted to know any experience you all had. What is still going on? How soon does the park get dark in Sept? I think DH would love to ride EE in the dark, but I want to make sure we ride the safari before it gets too dark to see the animals. How are the exploration trails once it "cools" down a bit? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks! :thumbsup:

TinaAndGlenn
03-18-2008, 08:16 PM
We spent our EMH at Animal Kingdom on January 2nd this year. Let me first say that it was during a cold snap (around 40ish). The park was deserted! There were times we felt we were the only guests there! I got some great pictures of flocks of beautiful white birds in a tree near the river. (It was incredible!) We saw "Festival of the Lion King' & they had character greetings at camp Minnie Mickey. We walked on Dinosaur & everything else in that usually packed area of the park. But the best, not to be missed is EE at night!!! There is no comparison...We rode this during the day, but night is better. Also, the mountain is breathtaking at night! We have been to AK many times, but we will never forget the fun we had there at night! (Do not forget your resort cards-you need them to get your bracelet)

grwoolf
03-18-2008, 10:10 PM
We did EMH at AK in Feb 07 and Feb 06. In 06, EE was in soft opening, but we rode it probably 8 times that night. It is really a different experience with the mtn all lit up. As far as the Safari, they shut it down at regular park closing, so it was not an option for EMH. I don't know if this has changed, but I think they need to keep the animals on a regular schedule, so I'd guess it will not be open. There are not that many activities open at night, but I think it's worth a visit. I think AK has the best theming of any park and has a very cool feel at night.

IloveDisney71
03-19-2008, 08:23 AM
I love night EMH's at the AK. The park itself looks so different with all of the lighting. It's really beautiful. Definitely ride EE at night. I think it is SO much better! I rode it for the first time, at night, a few weeks ago. It was FANTASTIC!!!

WDWdriver
03-19-2008, 12:10 PM
EE is awesome at night! Be sure to ride Kilimanjaro Safari and walk the exploration trails before sunset. Africa is closed during the evening EMH, as is the Maharajah Jungle Trek. The reason these attractions are closed is that the animals are brought in at night. There would be nothing there to see.

jans2kids
03-19-2008, 12:46 PM
The first time we did EMH at AK was early August and the park was open until 11pm, last year we were there later in august and the park closed at 9pm.
It's great to ride EE at night. Sunset in lat Aug is 8pm so in September it should be dark 7:30-7:45.
Both years I thnk the Safari closed between 6:30 amd 7:00, its nice to see it as the sun is getting low in the sky.
The only show or exhibit to see is Lion King.
Two years ago we rode Kali River Rapids 5 times without getting off, we wore the cheapie thin clear plastic ponchos which made the ride that much funner because you wanted to go under the waterfall but wern't going to get soaked, you still got wet but not as much.

Quasimodo
03-19-2008, 12:53 PM
We did AK EMH last year some time (don't remember which trip) but I found it a bit boring. I did like seeing the park at night. It looked really cool. But I was bored. There was so little to do. For me anyway. I am not a big fan of Everest (I get motion sick on it) or Dinosaur. So I didn't want to ride those. Kali was either closed or my wife didn't want to ride it because it was cold (don't remember). As was mentioned, the Safari and the Jungle Trek were closed due to the darkness. We wanted to see the new Finding Nemo show, but it was closed too! I ended up sitting on the steps next to the EE gift shop while my wife and daughter rode it several times.