PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Akershus for Dinner

chicklittlemom
03-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I've have read many posts re: Akershus for breakfast, but I'm wanting to hear from anyone who has done the dinner there. How is the food? I'm not sure if we will like the choices that I've seen on the menus....:unsure:

Breakfast there really isn't an option for us because of plans and my kids really don't eat much for breakfast.
We have ADR's elsewhere, but thinking of changing so my DD can eat with the Princesses. (we've done CRT in the past....) TIA!

wilshade
03-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Been there for dinner with 4 special needs guys who are picky eaters. There was plenty of stuff they liked. I just had to interpret the menu for them. Some of the menu items sound more bizarre then they are and you only need to simplify it.

For instance, a steak is a steak no matter what it is called on the menu. A porkchop is a porkchop, etc.

Besides the menu, there is a cold buffet with plenty of stuff for kids.

We had great experiences with the princesses too. Ariel was our favorite.

disneyfamily05
03-19-2008, 07:24 PM
I have been there both times that i have been to WDW so DD could see the princesses. I know some people do not like the food but everyone in our family loves it. I know that both times I have had the poached cod with the horseradish (sp?) potatoes and it was very good. I believe my mom has had the pasta, and DH the lamb. The cold buffett is also very good in our opinion. DH has said in the past it was the best value of any meal that we had - it had a lot of smoked fish (including smoked salmon), different salads (tuna, egg, etc), different cheeses, etc. I know it doesn't suite everyone's taste but our idea was to try a little of everything and in the end it ended up being one of our favorite places to eat. Hope you enjoy! And the princessess were great when we we there too.

heidi614
03-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Well, my dad and I are pickey eaters and we ordered off the kids menue. It was OK. The cold buffet ie, salad bar was good.

Hope that helps.

septembergirl
03-20-2008, 04:46 AM
We went for DD4's birthday last year during free dining. The fact that it was free and the princess interaction made it totally worth it for us but the food was not to our liking. Well, DH really enjoyed it but the kids and I found it a little underwhelming. My DS12 and I are pretty adventurous eaters usually but we just weren't into this menu.
The princesses, however, were fantastic and my dd talked about it forever. The service was fine and the wait wasn't too bad even during FD. We got to meet Pocahontas, Belle, Cinderella, Aurora and Ariel.
You will find something to eat between the cold buffet and the menu but I was glad not to be shelling out the $200 plus for the 6 of us.

May524
03-20-2008, 05:11 AM
Our family did not like this buffet, we haven't been back and don't plan on it.

chick20679
03-20-2008, 08:33 AM
We ate here in early February.
The "taste of norway" (the pre-entree 'salad' bar) was tasty, lots of different things to try - cold salads, cheeses, salamis, etc. something for most everyone. (also more 'traditional" norweigan fare such as herring and peppered trout)
For an entree, I had salmon served on potato pancakes with apple slaw. Something tasted slightly 'off' with this dish, but I figured it was just a combination I wasn't used to and continued to eat it. The dessert plate was also very good (I liked the rice cream best).
Since we are two adults, I don't think we get as much interaction from the characters - but that's OK with us, all we want is a pic and to go back to our meal. They seemed to spend more time with the families with small children.
I did (unfortunately) wind up :sick: the night we ate here, but I do not know for sure if it was my 'off' tasting entree.

Over all, our meal & experience here was good. I would recommend it to families with young children but not for those looking for a fine dining experience. :mickey:

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
03-20-2008, 11:31 AM
My kids are 9 and 3 and they loved the princess dinner at Norway. They would be content with a piece of bread if they get to see their princesses. That being said there are plenty of choices for everyone from the cold Buffet which are kind of like apps. The kids menu has typical staples such as hot dogs and burgers. You will be fine with the food plus the ambiance is pretty cool.

like2workout
03-20-2008, 02:46 PM
i've been to the dinner there and thought it was great. my mom's favorite place to eat in epcot has always been germany. we decided to try akershus for something new, and now that is her favorite place!

chicklittlemom
03-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks to everyone that has responded!

I went ahead and changed our ADR's for dinner here. I had to give up the Rose & Crown for this one :( But I'm really interested in seeing how we like it :D

My DD doesn't know about this....a surprise for her. :secret: I can't wait to see her surprise (she loves Mulan and Jasmine...I just hope one of them are there!)