PDA

View Full Version : Building a House

Mrs. Bee
03-18-2008, 02:00 AM
I moved my home building story to a blog website.

January-2007
03-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Neat! I've always wanted to have a home custom built, it will be interesting to see what the process is like! :mickey:

busterthebronco
03-18-2008, 08:23 AM
we like buried utilities vs the old telephone poles.i like to leave lots of trees and "natural" areas.

Scar
03-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Even if I'm the only one that ends of reading it...I'll read it. :thumbsup:

I'm curious to see if you can get it done in 4 months. ;)

Oh, and that's from when you tell them to start. Not the time they actually do start. :D

Caroleh
03-18-2008, 08:46 AM
First of all, :congrats:!!! I just (Saturday) moved into our townhouse that we had built, so I know your excitement!!! We purchased our home last May and it was just finished the end of Feb. This is a very exciting time for you!!

Do you scrapbook? I took pictures (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/560068075zjCTan) from the day we purchased it until the end, now it the decorating phase!! It's a nice history of the house to have the pictures.

I'll keep reading to help you share your excitement!!! BTW, I'm orginnally from Iowa!!

Dakota Rose
03-18-2008, 10:15 AM
My parents just finished building their dream home, so I'll check in on your thread too. :) It's a fun process. :)

RedSoxFan
03-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Congrats on building your house. We had our dream house built last year. It will be a year in the new house this Memorial weekend. It is fun and nervewracking all at the same time.

Mrs. Bee
03-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Neat! I've always wanted to have a home custom built, it will be interesting to see what the process is like! :mickey:

Thanks for reading!

we like buried utilities vs the old telephone poles.i like to leave lots of trees and "natural" areas.

Definitely happy we'll have the buried utilities! Unfortunately, there are no mature trees in our neighborhood. But we'll be planting some trees.

I'll read it. :thumbsup:

Oh, and that's from when you tell them to start. Not the time they actually do start. :D

Actually, WE don't tell them to start. The company we are using is like a well-oiled machine. They have schedules and they know what they're doing. We are given dates for each major step (framing, siding, insulation, etc.) and they usually do it within a few days of that. We have a three-week closing window for when it will be finished.

First of all, :congrats:!!! I just (Saturday) moved into our townhouse that we had built, so I know your excitement!!! We purchased our home last May and it was just finished the end of Feb. This is a very exciting time for you!!

Do you scrapbook? I took pictures (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/560068075zjCTan) from the day we purchased it until the end, now it the decorating phase!! It's a nice history of the house to have the pictures.

I'll keep reading to help you share your excitement!!! BTW, I'm orginnally from Iowa!!

Thanks for reading! We are taking photos. And I took a little video too. Although right now there's just a foundation. But we'll be taking tons throughout the process. I'll check out your photos too!! Where in Iowa are you from originally?

My parents just finished building their dream home, so I'll check in on your thread too. :) It's a fun process. :)

Thanks for reading!

Congrats on building your house. We had our dream house built last year. It will be a year in the new house this Memorial weekend. It is fun and nervewracking all at the same time.

So far it has been a lot of fun. But I do get stressed pretty easily.

pink
03-18-2008, 01:32 PM
My family built a custom home at one point in Colorado and it was a very fun experience. It's a great to be able to pick everything that you want in the house. I hope you find a model house that you like! :mickey:

Caroleh
03-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Just start an account at someplace like webshots, and post your pictures there. That's how I did it. You can then link you posts to there.

Mrs. Bee
03-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Just start an account at someplace like webshots, and post your pictures there. That's how I did it. You can then link you posts to there.

I'll look into that. thanks.

Disney Doll
03-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm looking forward to reading about your home building process. We are about to embark upon a similar journey and could probably learn a thing or two from your experiences.

poeticeclipse
03-20-2008, 01:10 PM
I clicked on your link and it only showed me the Adler.

I would like to see the Russell! :)

poeticeclipse
03-20-2008, 02:45 PM
I get it now! Thanks!!!!!!

MnMrMustard
03-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Well ye ole house is getting closer to reality - very cool :thumbsup:

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-24-2008, 08:47 PM
How exciting! Thanks for sharing.

Mrs. Bee
03-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Well ye ole house is getting closer to reality - very cool :thumbsup:

Yep! And since the stuff I've typed so far happened months ago...we're getting really close now. We have a hole in the ground and a driveway! YAY! I need to write more in this thread so I can get it all up to date.

How exciting! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for reading! I'm sure it's probably quite boring for some...but I'm enjoying writing about it. :)

garymacd
03-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Just make sure the house isn't built on ancient indian burial grounds or a cemetary. :jaw:

If it is, make sure they don't just move the headstones, but move the graves as well.
:eek:

:bolt:

:rotfl:

:funny:

Mrs. Bee
03-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Just make sure the house isn't built on ancient indian burial grounds or a cemetary. :jaw:

If it is, make sure they don't just move the headstones, but move the graves as well.
:eek:

:bolt:

:rotfl:

:funny:

Haha! If anything happens...I'll be sure to get a woman of small stature to come help out.

offwego
03-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Sounds neat..glad you got the lot you wanted.

Mrs. Bee
03-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Sounds neat..glad you got the lot you wanted.

Thanks! We're happy about it. Except for the possible slope in the back yard.

Mrs. Bee
03-26-2008, 10:18 PM
I've decided to finish posting about our home building process in a blog instead. (The blog will also contain WDW and DL trip reports, lots of photos, comments on American Idol, as well as other random things along the way.) If anyone is still interested in hearing about my boring old life...feel free to send me a PM and I'll give you a link.

Thanks to those that have been reading this thread. :)

Mrs. Bee
10-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I'll read it. :thumbsup:

I rarely come to this message board anymore. But I was here today reading Stacey's trip report. Decided to stop by this old thread and make a quick comment...

The builders started exactly the day they were supposed to. And the house was finished and we moved in on the FIRST day of the three week window we were given. We've been here since June and we love it.