PDA

View Full Version : Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for Boys?

dizzydisney
03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Hello! We will be visiting with our two children DD (6) and DS (8). My DD is obsessed with Hannah Montana right now, and is dying to do the Hannah Montana makeover at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique when we visit. I see that Disney is also offering a package for boys, similar to what they do at the barber shop on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom. Has anyone taken their sons to the boutique? My DS would really like some blue hair...

Tinksalot
03-17-2008, 06:17 PM
I've seen little boys in there. They come out with colored hair and sparkles in their spiked hair. :)

TinkiTime1989
03-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Disney's intentions when adding the "Cool Dude" package were good. However, most young boys don't want to sit in a room that is pink and frilly with a bunch of girls to get their hair done. If your son doesn't mind the atmosphere of the BBB, then I say let him do it. Otherwise, maybe he'd have more fun doing something such as a pirate adventure cruise from one of the resorts while his sister gets all dolled up.

crazykids
03-17-2008, 06:49 PM
My son was 4 1/2 when he did the cool dude pkg. He did think the place was on the girly side, but he was very happy with his hair! He made sure to tell all of the girls there that he was a pirate & that he did not like princesses! They treated him like a boy too while he was there & I think that was most important. They first spiked the hair up w/ gel & he got to pick out the colors that they painted his hair with. At the end they paint a mickey shaped head on the back of his head. For $10, you can't beat it & it also is better then him just sitting around on a bench waiting for his sister. It's been almost a year since he had that done & if I took him back now, I'm sure he'd do it again. There were a lot of boys walking around w/ the painted hair while we were there.

ldc12377
03-17-2008, 07:11 PM
During our trip last summer we went to BBB at DTD. The girls got their hair all done and so did my son. He was 8 at the time. He really liked his hair when it was done but he felt really silly when it was getting done because BBB is totally girly. All pretty and pink. I think he would have rather just walked around the store while the girls did their hair.
We also went to the Barber Shop so that my DS2 could get his hair cut for the first time. While we were there, we saw a lot of kids getting their hair done the same way that my DS8's hair was done at BBB!!! On our trip in Oct., we just went to the Barber Shop and got the kids' hair done. My DS8 was much happier there and I think he had more colored gel and a lot more "pixie dust" than he got at BBB. From now on we just plan on going to the Barber Shop to get the kid's hair done. You can't make a reservation but for the price, you really can't beat it. (Only $7.00 per child for the hair gel and "pixie dust"!!!)

Quest4fun
03-17-2008, 07:27 PM
During our trip last summer we went to BBB at DTD. The girls got their hair all done and so did my son. He was 8 at the time. He really liked his hair when it was done but he felt really silly when it was getting done because BBB is totally girly. All pretty and pink. I think he would have rather just walked around the store while the girls did their hair.
We also went to the Barber Shop so that my DS2 could get his hair cut for the first time. While we were there, we saw a lot of kids getting their hair done the same way that my DS8's hair was done at BBB!!! On our trip in Oct., we just went to the Barber Shop and got the kids' hair done. My DS8 was much happier there and I think he had more colored gel and a lot more "pixie dust" than he got at BBB. From now on we just plan on going to the Barber Shop to get the kid's hair done. You can't make a reservation but for the price, you really can't beat it. (Only $7.00 per children for the hair gel and "pixie dust"!!!)

Needless to say anything called the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is not going to be geared to boys and there is an age where they start to notice that pink isn't necessarily the predominant color for things associated with boys. The barber shop is a good alternative for the youngin's that are entering the "Icky Girl" phase of their lives and would probably be less embarassed if they were permitted to do something different.

I salute you for finding a very cost effective solution that still allows your boys to be boys. :thumbsup: I've seen some overzealous parents on "other" boards who have taken their boys to this and other girl specific activities to avoid the "violence" of many of the boy themed activities. It's okay to shield them from violent themes but I don't think it's always good to take it to the other extreme to discourage some of the more destructive masculine activities.

DANAM
03-18-2008, 09:52 AM
I got my DS3 hair cut at the barber shop on our last visit and I regret it now. It took so much time out of our day 2 hours and the cut was not good at all. I had to take him to our regular lady 3 weeks later. So if you don't go when they first open or if you can spend the whole day waiting outside in line. Go for it but it wasn't for us.
We also did the BBB the next day because we where going to the MNSSHP. He loved it (again he's three). I could tell at first he was a little concerned but he really enjoyed himself and the whole thing took 15 maybe 20 min for him. I got the best pictures my son has ever taken in his life when we where there. He has really cute dimples but he refuses to smile in pictures. He was all smiles here.
My daughter on the other hand was there a hour getting the coach package but again totally worth it.
One last thing, Just make sure you have a back up plan for what to do with the boys when the girls are still getting made up. My husband and son rode rides in Fantasyland. I can imagine that the big boy's really wouldn't want to just stand around in there.

disneyfamily05
03-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Last year DS6 got the Cool Dude package at BBB in DTD whild DD4 got her princess package. Once it was done he loved it. If you click on my name above and go to visit my homepage you will see the albums from the trip last year. One of the albums is from BBB so you will be able to see a few pictures of both him and her.

One word of caution - which may not matter as you kids are a bit older than mine were. They took them both at the same time so i was dashing from one chair to another to get pictures. Luckily my mom was there to stay with DD so she didn't worry about being left alone.

teambricker04
03-18-2008, 02:46 PM
My DS who is 3 is currently amazed with face painting. He has been bugging me to paint his face nearly every day. I promised him to get his face painted when we go to WDW in May. I know there is a place in Toon Town, but I am sure there are more places. Maybe your boys would rather be painted up... or get fake tattoos. Just an idea.

PiratesLifeForMe3
03-19-2008, 01:53 AM
My sister is a Cast Member at BBB and she claimed that there might be something coming to MK real soon called Barbossa's Babershop for boys to get dressed as Pirates. Don't know if its a case of the cast members knowing nothing or what, but it sounds like it could be true.