PDA

View Full Version : Good room locations at Pop Century

caubert
03-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey everybody, we are staying at pop century may 13th-18th and I was wondering what rooms/ buildings are most convenient for bus stops and food court. We have three daughters under ten. Thanks for any help.
caubert

wilshade
03-17-2008, 07:37 PM
The 60's and 70's buildings, or at least most of those rooms. The rooms in those two buildings which are not near Everything Pop are facing Hourglass Lake. In other words, a water view room at a Value Resort!

EvilQueen2006
03-17-2008, 10:23 PM
I have stayes in both the 50's and 70's sections of the resort. When I stayed in 70's it was considered preferred and when i stayed 50's it was standard. I think they were both equally distanced from the main building and main pool area. I haven't stayed in 80's or 90's but from what I have seen all the building seem pretty close and convenient.

Pop Centurion
03-17-2008, 10:30 PM
I agree with the statement about the 50's building. We stayed there in 04' and requested it last year because of the convenience.

momof3+twins
03-18-2008, 08:32 AM
I was told by Central Reservations that some of the 50's buildings are preferred. So, we are paying preferred to be in a 50's building (hopefully) that is close to the food court. Does anyone know if this is true.
In the good ole' days I could request a Toy Story Building in Movies but I hear that is also preferred now.
If not paying for a preferred room, it seems that Disney has it set up that you should be prepared to walk!! So, with 5 kids and two rooms, we prefer to pay 20 extra a night. Not happy about it though!!

wilshade
03-18-2008, 12:49 PM
I've stayed in the 50's section all but one time, and each of those times was in the "Jukebox" building. I stayed there mainly because I like the area and had nothing to do with location.

But . . . if there are preferred rooms in the 50's they would be the ends of the Lady and Tramp buildings closest to Everything Pop.

Bringonthemouse!
03-18-2008, 10:19 PM
We have always requested the 50's section, fourth floor with a view of SSE. It is great to pull a chair out onto the "balcony" at night (with a bucket of pocorn) and watch the fireworks from both Wishes and Illuminations. The bus stop was about a 5 min walk around the front sidewalk. There are rooms that are closer to Everything Pop but we will never give up being able to look out our window first thing in the morning and see SSE. It's a great way to start the day!:cloud9:

Genie1953
03-18-2008, 11:07 PM
We have always requested the 50's section, fourth floor with a view of SSE. It is great to pull a chair out onto the "balcony" at night (with a bucket of pocorn) and watch the fireworks from both Wishes and Illuminations. The bus stop was about a 5 min walk around the front sidewalk. There are rooms that are closer to Everything Pop but we will never give up being able to look out our window first thing in the morning and see SSE. It's a great way to start the day!:cloud9:

Please forgive my stupidity...but what in the heck is SSE. Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but I truly do not know. :confused:

Tink#64
03-18-2008, 11:41 PM
SSE is SpaceShip Earth! Don't feel bad, I too get stumped at some of the abbreviations. You can find a list in Info Central -

infocentral/abbreviations

momof3+twins
03-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Wow, SSE !! I need to rethink this!! How do you think the walk would be JUST to get drinks in the morning for breakfast? We eat in the room.I am concerned that no one will want to take that walk!

Taja
03-19-2008, 02:53 PM
If you have a cooler in your room, you can purchase milk, etc. the previous evening. Just be sure to ice it down well! I usually put the ice in one-gallon ZipLoc bags to minimize the mess. Each bag lasts 2 to 4 days--depends on how many times it's opened/closed.

You can pack a soft-sided cooler or purchase a styrofoam one after arriving in Orlando.

If you need hot beverages, you can always pack a hot pot or an electric kettle.

Taja
03-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Wow, SSE !! I need to rethink this!! How do you think the walk would be JUST to get drinks in the morning for breakfast? We eat in the room.I am concerned that no one will want to take that walk!

The distance will depend on your room location. When you're checking in, ask to look at a map as the CM assigns your room. If it's way in the back, you might want to see if something is available a bit closer. You may have to sacrifice view or floor for a different location, but it's your decision.

Other than the rooms in the very back of the resort, most of the rooms are within reasonable distance of Centennial Hall and the bus stops. I've managed the walk with two injured legs on two different visits--and once reasonably healthy! *LOL*

Bringonthemouse!
03-19-2008, 05:49 PM
There is a great map of Pop Century here on Intercot. It shows the layout perfectly. The building we stayed in with the view of Spaceship Earth and fireworks is in the 50's section, look closely to see the large jukebox. The back or that building has a fabulous view and the walk isn't too far from the main building.

http://http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/popcentury07.jpg (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/popcentury07.jpg)

Good luck with your decision!
:mickey:

Crow
03-19-2008, 05:56 PM
All my stays have been in the 50s. I didnt ask for it the last few times but ended up there.
i agree for asking for a view of SSE. the buildings are close to the main building.
right now Im booked for POP in Sept again.

poeticeclipse
03-20-2008, 09:58 AM
I've stayed in the 50's section three times now. Once was just past the bowling pin pool. You walk by it, towards the juke box, then past the juke box straight on the left side. First floor room. I liked this room a lot. We felt a little more secluded (but in a good way).

The second time we were past the pool towards the juke box. Once you're behind the juke box you take a left down that pathway. We were first floor again.

The last time was on our honeymoon and at first we were given a king bed handicapped room in the 80's section at first. On the map of the resort posted above, it's about where the "8" in 80's is. We were on the 3rd floor. This was the longest walk ever. I really hated it. Really really. We got to the room and realized it had the handicap shower. I didn't feel comfortable at all taking a handicap room when DH and I didn't need one. So, we called down to the front desk and they said they could switch us, we just needed to walk back down to the lobby. So, there we went a walkin'. They ended up putting us in a king bed in the 50's section (what we requested in the first place). We took the elevator (or stairs) up that were just past Tramp. Then we turned left a little ways down on the third floor facing the courtyard. It was an alright area. Nothing special. Not much to complain about.

We're requesting a king bed in the 50's section again in late April. I REALLY hope we get it. I love the 50's section a lot.

Hayden's Dad
03-20-2008, 10:23 AM
By chance does POP have elevators. requesting a view of SSE would be great, but my son is in a wheelchair. Thanks.

BMan62
03-20-2008, 10:33 AM
By chance does POP have elevators. requesting a view of SSE would be great, but my son is in a wheelchair. Thanks.

I believe, by law [ADA], all WDW resorts have elevators. I know for a fact that each building of Pop Century has at least one pair of centrally located elevators.

momof3+twins
03-20-2008, 02:30 PM
A view of SSE sounds like heaven. Does anyone know where to find a picture of the view?

like2workout
03-20-2008, 02:54 PM
does every building (decade) at pop have some type of disney character included in it?

DizneyFanz
03-20-2008, 05:22 PM
does every building (decade) at pop have some type of disney character included in it?

Not every building has a Disney icon but every decade does, I'm pretty sure.

Bringonthemouse!
03-20-2008, 05:30 PM

A lot of them have Disney Characters that came about during each particular decade but they also have many "pop culture" items such as giant cell phones in the 90's or giant big wheels in the 70's, etc.

DizneyFanz
03-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Hey everybody, we are staying at pop century may 13th-18th and I was wondering what rooms/ buildings are most convenient for bus stops and food court. We have three daughters under ten. Thanks for any help.
caubert

I believe that the 70's buildings are closest to the bus stop (Bldg 10, especially) and food court. I prefer these buildings to the 60's, which BTW, are considered preferred.

Hayden's Dad
03-20-2008, 09:30 PM
We have always requested the 50's section, fourth floor with a view of SSE. It is great to pull a chair out onto the "balcony" at night (with a bucket of pocorn) and watch the fireworks from both Wishes and Illuminations. The bus stop was about a 5 min walk around the front sidewalk. There are rooms that are closer to Everything Pop but we will never give up being able to look out our window first thing in the morning and see SSE. It's a great way to start the day!

This still sounds great. Do you remember what room number you had? Did you just request a room with a view of SSE? Thanks for all your help.

PhilHarHarMagic
03-21-2008, 08:40 AM
We just got back from a stay in the 90's. I liked it because it was a short walk across the parking lot to/from the bus station and we could avoid having to walk through the gift shop/food court area.

I would suggest requesting a non-swimming pool view no matter where you stay - it's funny how much noise that area generates. We were so tired we hardly noticed it, but you can hear the cast members cleaning up the place at 3 AM.

MickeyChick
03-21-2008, 11:41 AM
We were in a preferred room in one of the 50s buildings (the one with Tramp). We had the end room on the first floor corner, closest to Classic Hall. It was truly a GREAT location-- it took less than a minute to get into Classic Hall and less than 3 to get to the buses. Plus is was smack in the middle between the Hippy Dippy Pool and the Bowling Pin pool so we didn't have to deal with the noise.

Genie1953
03-21-2008, 11:50 PM
I believe, by law [ADA], all WDW resorts have elevators. I know for a fact that each building of Pop Century has at least one pair of centrally located elevators.

Not all WDW resorts have elevators. The Alligator Bayou section of Port Orleans Riverside does not have elevators. :(
But I am sure glad to hear that Pop has them. :thumbsup:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
03-26-2008, 09:00 PM
My husband and I stayed in the 50's and 60's in 06' and 07' And this year we put in for the 90's.
You can't go wrong no matter where you stay at the POP. It's a great place to stay.:number1:

PeterPansMagic
03-28-2008, 02:13 AM
Just out of curiousity is anyone allowed to see Wishes & Illuminations just by taking the elevator up to the floor? Can you see them on any floor? Is that across from Hourglass Lake?

PeterPansMagic
04-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Bump

Bringonthemouse!
04-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Just out of curiousity is anyone allowed to see Wishes & Illuminations just by taking the elevator up to the floor? Can you see them on any floor? Is that across from Hourglass Lake?

Yes, anyone can watch the fireworks from the "balconies". Just head up to the fourth floor of the 50's building with the huge jukebox. The fireworks are somewhat far away but the view is great. Some evenings, Wishes and Illuminations occur at the same time.
:mickey:

Red Randal
04-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I've stayed in the 70's twice and loved it. It's close enough to be a quick walk to the food court, main pool, and bus stop but is also far enough away to be kind of quiet and sometimes even secluded in the rooms near the lake. Without requesting, I managed to be in the same building both trips and will be requesting it again whenever I stay there next.