PDA

View Full Version : Poly Luau

DNS
03-17-2008, 01:28 PM
I have read several posts on the Poly luau and some people seem so like it while others hate it. That would probably be the case with anything, but we are thinking of trying it our next trip (five of us) and would like to know if it's worth the money to those of you who have experienced this dinner show. I would be grateful for any help on this. Please vote in the poll, then explain your thoughts.
Thanks you all so much!

missbrookwood
03-17-2008, 01:45 PM
I will tell you that the show is incredible!! I thought it made the experience worth it. My family did not love the food but it could be that it was just not our thing. Baked chicken, (dark meat) and some other stuff. I really cannot remember everything there was to eat but the show made up for it. It is lots of fun especially if you are staying at the poly keeping with the theme. They take your picture before it starts. I suggest that you dress in a hawaiian shirt or dress to enhances the experience. makes a great family vacation:mickey: photo!

Quasimodo
03-17-2008, 01:54 PM
I agree with missbrookwood, the show is really good, but the food is just so-so. If they could bring down some food from Ohana, this would be a fantastic show.

BTW, welcome to Intercot missbrookwood! I live in Lawrenceville, NE of Atlanta. :mickey:

jwallace378
03-17-2008, 02:01 PM
The show was good to see once. But the food wasn't so good. I saw the show once, no need to go back again.

pox24
03-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Disappointed... Food is poor, show was corny. Not worth the price. Sorry.

BluewaterBrad
03-17-2008, 03:15 PM
We loved the luau last summer. I thought the food was very good and the show entertaining.:mickey:

DisneyDog
03-17-2008, 03:56 PM
I thought the food was really yummy but the show was corny. If I could have had the meal without the show, I would have been very happy.

GrmGrninGost
03-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Myself, DW,DS and DD all thought it was terrific! It's something we will do every now and then. Probably not every trip! :mickey:

DDuck66
03-18-2008, 09:27 AM
I am really undecided about this...but I voted "not worth it". The show was really fun and worth seeing, but I have to say that the food left a lot to be desired. Cold Food and Warm Beer not to mention slow service. That was several years ago, but nothing has convinced me to try it again.

Jared
03-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I don't particularly like dinner shows, so I probably would not recommend any of them, but Disney's Spirit of Aloha show is definitely a waste of money. The other two restaurants at the Polynesian -- Kona Cafe and 'Ohana -- are delicious and worth the trip to the resort. The show, however, is not.

pogo
03-18-2008, 11:16 AM
I thought the Luau show was a little corney to start, but we loved it. :mickey:

The food was good....... not great. We liked HDDR much better. :D

DNS
03-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Wow, this really is a mixed review.

IDreamofEeyore
03-19-2008, 01:26 PM
We've done the luau show twice (or variations of the luau show anyway). First time back...oh my...probably 20 years ago...we were seated behind a pole...so I can't tell you too much about that show.

We went again 2 years ago. The show was okay...although not as much "luau" as I expected. The food was...well...it was. Nothing special there...the service was pretty bad (slow).

We're glad we tried it again, but that's it for us. We prefer the Hoop De Doo over at Fort Wilderness. Now that is a fun show with good service and good food! If you're looking for a dinner show, I'd go with that one. :cowboy:

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
03-20-2008, 11:34 AM
It has been a few years back but we really enjoyed it. It was like being somewhere else a kind of escape from typical disney mania.

maestrotim
03-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Show was 1/2 good -- did not like the first half, but the second half with traditional Polynesian dancing and Samoan fire dancing (always brings the house down) was good.

The food is decent, and is all-you-can-eat and drink (although limited beer/wine selections), so a decent value for a night of entertainment. There was some audience participation that the little ones would enjoy. I was there in August, so it was quite warm at night, even though I seem to remember some fans going.

I second the suggestion that the other member made about putting on your Aloha shirt and island wear. It will help you get in the mood!

Hull-onian
03-20-2008, 07:15 PM
For our first night at Disney we went to the Luau and really enjoyed it. Our server was great. Very friendly. If we needed something, she was very accomodating. The show was paced nicely. My favorite part was when they brought all the kids up on the stage. It was very cute. Given the opportunity we would go again. But this time, it is the Hoop Dee Doo Revue.

Hull-onian
03-20-2008, 07:18 PM
I don't particularly like dinner shows, so I probably would not recommend any of them, but Disney's Spirit of Aloha show is definitely a waste of money. The other two restaurants at the Polynesian -- Kona Cafe and 'Ohana -- are delicious and worth the trip to the resort. The show, however, is not.

Thanks Jared for the tip. We are going to Kona Cafe for breakfast and Ohana for dinner. Really looking forward to it. ADR's are made.:thumbsup:

DVC2004
03-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I like the show but not crazy about the food. Think the food is much better at Ohana. It's fun to do, I would recommend doing it at least once.

alpro2
03-21-2008, 10:44 AM
We had a horrible experience with SoA. Disney lost our reservations and we were treated like second-class citizens. As a result, we had to wait to be seated, no photo, dinner was already served by the time we were seated. Spent alot of $$ for ribs and chicken; and to be treated like garbage.

Management did an awful job with the situation.

LandFan
03-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Disappointed... Food is poor, show was corny. Not worth the price. Sorry.

Yup totally!

It used to be much better and less commercialized.

Mickey91
03-24-2008, 12:24 AM
We loved it! Even the kids loved it!!