PDA

View Full Version : To DVC or Not to DVC

DestinationWDW
03-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone,

I know this question was probably already asked like a million times, but I’m going to ask it again. To DVC or not to DVC!! First let me describe the situation.

My DW and I plus are 3 DK’s travel to the world once a year, we usually go down around October. We usually stay from a Saturday to the following Sunday, so eight nights. When we go we usually stay at Port Orleans River Side, because they have the trundle bed for one of the kids. Now that the kids are getting older it’s becoming more difficult to deal with sleeping arrangements, (dd 12, ds9, ds4). Out next step will be to rent 2 rooms or start using the suites at the Movies resort. So the last time we were down at the world we visited the DVC speal. I have to admit; they make it sound so great, but is it really worth the money? I don’t view this as an investment other than for fun memorable times.

I figured we would need at least 216 points at a minimum. This still doesn’t provide us with the same amount of days that we usually go, but I can compromise some. Dw also starting looking at the discounts for dining and tickets, but do you really save?

We also thought about the locations outside of FL and thought that with the added locations it might actually be worth the money.

I not asking anyone to make a decision for me, I’m just looking for an honest response from someone that can relate to the dilemma I currently have.

As with many other people I would have to make monthly payments, although I could buy it out right, I’d rather have my money make some money over the time period. One of my concerns at the moment is the economy as we head into a recession it might not be a wise decision at the moment. The what if factor, and how is Disney if a financial burden occurred, do they or will they work with you?

I just want to thank everyone in advance for your comments.

DVC Mike
03-16-2008, 08:42 PM
If you haven't already, take a look at this thread:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=120253

KineGirl
03-16-2008, 09:00 PM
We had the same dilemma to DVC or No ourselves when we were newbies to WDW about 15 years ago and the DVC was pretty much brand spanking new. Our first trip was a long one and cost a pretty penny to say the least! But once we saw that we would be back year after year we thought how could we NOT go DVC? We bought our points outright so I have no idea what Disney does if you should run into some momentary difficulties. I hate monthly payments just for that reason. I can tell you once the points are paid off you are left with the maintenance fees which are not outrageous IMO. Also once a DVC member you will be given opportunities to buy points from time to time at a discount. I would also recommend you look at possibly buying someones DVC membership that is looking to get out of it. You can really find some bargains doing that sometimes. We keep our eyes open and still pick up points here and there and have no regrets other than we want more points!!! (Oh to live in WDW year round LOL) It started off that we could only take one 5 day trip a year instead of the 8 day trip like we originally took- but over time & point accumalation we now take at least 2 trips a year for about 5 - 6 days (usually one during peak season and/or holidays) AND have taking advantage of using our points for the Disney Cruise AND are looking forward to using them in TDL! If youre like us you cant go wrong with DVC! When all was added we save $$$ every year with DVC between the resorts, food & tickets and we are always able stay at deluxe accomodations that frankly at this time we couldnt afford if we had to pay out of pocket. Hope this helps!

chefmickey3
03-16-2008, 10:10 PM
We joined for similar reasons. We travel each year and have three sons (6,4,and 2). We love Riverside but could see quickly outgrowing the space. We did the tour two years ago, but this past summer decided to join. We are staying at VFW-1 bedroom in August and can't wait! The idea of a kitchen and washing machine in the room makes vacation feel more like home (that is a good thing in my mind!) Also, I like the idea of staying in a deluxe with close proximity to the MK. We do pay montly because that is what works for us. I don't know Disney's policy but you could ask your agent. I find ours very helpful. We love being members and haven't even gone back to the world yet!

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-16-2008, 10:45 PM
We had been going to WDW at least once a year since 1991 before we finally bought into DVC in 2003.
Now we wish we had done it sooner. After having stayed in a 1 or 2 bedroom villa, you will never want to go back to a normal motel room again.
The extra space, kitchen area and washer/dryer are huge pluses in our mind.

Initially we bought 190 pts via resale thru The Timeshare Store and last summer did a 50 pt add-on direct from DVC.

The discounts are nothing spectacular, but the $100/person discount on annual passes is a nice savings for us. With a little planning we always manage to gets at least 2 trips out of our APs, so that is a definite savings.

Look at all the angles and Good Luck with your decision.

JMTStone
03-17-2008, 02:02 PM
The DVC to me means pre-paid vacations. It doesn't mean cost savings to me yet and won't for a few more years. But this guarantees me a spot at the world. DH and I sat down to look at the other locations (GASP - he wants to go to places BESIDES WDW) and he liked what he saw as well.

Good luck with your decision.

Mrs Bus Driver
03-18-2008, 08:30 AM
I haven't bought yet either. I most likely will in a few years, here is my reasoning. I live in Arizona and usually go to DL with my DD, the cost of these vacations is around $3,000. That is staying off property (across the street), food gas, annual passes and sundry. These are 4 day trips, with driving that works out to 2 1/2 days at the parks. The time of year when I can go is crowded anymore (however it is off season for WDW). I've done the math for plane tickets and all of the above for a week to 10 days at WDW doing DVC and right now it will work out to under $3000 a year. The rooms will be a step up and I won't have to drive,except to the airport. With DDP we will be able to eat tabke service more often. After talking it over with DD we both agree that doing one relaxing trip over 3 or 4 rushed trips sounds better. So as you can see I am pretty well sold on DVC and I haven't even taken the tour yet. My point is you have to weigh the pluses and minuses and see if it works for you. I hope to pay cash for my membership and the way I figure it I will start to break even after 10 years. I know that points and such will go up in cost, but so will a trip to DL. The way I see I'll be getting more bang for my buck while spending the same amount. After 10 years I might even save a little (but I'm not counting on it). :mickey:

tomatoe pie
04-07-2008, 01:27 PM
if you plan to continue going once a year do it for the comfort and pleasure of having a little more room. :crowd: your vacation is supposed to be special and dvc makes that happen.:yes::pixie:

Kidsmom
04-07-2008, 01:57 PM
We bought last august and we have four kids (10, 8, 7 & 5)

Last august we stayed at CBR with adjoining rooms, but felt we knew what moderate meant after staying there. My husband is a bit of a hotel snob and after seeing the AK villa we feel in love.

Now, we like to travel other places as well on a couple of trips a year. We didn't want to committ a vacation every year to disney. We decided to buy enough points to go every other year for 8 nights (by banking our 200 points). When we bought we took the double points incentive....so we went 8/07 (when we stayed at CBR), we leave in two days for AK Villas and then we are going next March with our banked points.

That is a lot of Disney for us, but will then know if we want to buy more points. I liked just buying this beginning amount, knowing that I may want to buy later for hawaii, ca or I am betting that in the near future they will build in CO for skiiing. Just my hunch (or wish).

It is a hard decision, but we felt right easing in slowly rather than buying too much.

Good Luck!!