PDA

View Full Version : Lung Function Testing

Dznygrl79
03-16-2008, 08:02 PM
If anyone could answer a few questions for me I would appreciate it!
As some of you already know I have been struggling with HBP for the last year. I finally have it under control and think I'm doing good, but recently I have had a hard time breathing. Mainly when I walk or go upstairs. I talked to my doctor and she did an in office test and said I would have to go to the local hospital for a lung function test. Has anyone done one of these? What exactly do they do?
On my referral she put dyspnea as the diagnosis but when I searched for it, it came up as trouble breathing in the literal translation and multiple causes.
Pixie dust please for a very frightened intercot friend!

merlinmagic4
03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
I think there are different tests but my 11 year old son just did Pulmonary Function Tests (PFTs) and he did fine. We didn't go in with him but I do know that they clip your nose and you have to blow into a tube. If you don't do as well as you should, they give you albuterol and have you try again to see if it makes a difference.

Good luck!

KineGirl
03-16-2008, 08:20 PM
I have a rare lung/liver disorder (called alpha 1 antitrypsin disorder (AAT)... which I recommend anyone - including you, with mystery sore lungs and/or liver to be tested for) and have just recently gone thru this. The main one is called spirometry test. You have to blow as hard as you can for as long as you can with this big tube in your mouth and then breathe in doing the same (long/hard) several times. It does make you out of breath for a moment or two and other than the big tube in your mouth its not uncomfortable or anything. Good luck with everything & pixie dust for you

Loretta

Johnno52
03-16-2008, 09:56 PM
My wife had difficulty breathing also when doing the stairs. Her doctor sent her for a "stress test" to check her heart. I highly recommend you ask your doctor for this also.

LauraF
03-17-2008, 09:43 AM
I've had the lung function test for my asthma and it's nothing much as tests go.

They had me sit in front of a machine with a long tube and mouthpiece. I had to take a deep breath, hold it and then blow all the air out as hard and fast as I could. Rinse and repeat until they got a baseline. Then I was given some drugs that made my lungs contract and the test was repeated until they saw a major shift. They said based on how I reacted to the drugs it would tell them what was wrong with me. I was short of breath and a little dizzy right afterwards, but they gave me some drugs to help open up my lungs and I was fine. I drove myself home.

MsMin
03-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Remember for insurance reasons you need a diagnosis so they give you one that is broad until they clarify it so it doesn't surprise me that she put that as the diagnosis. Sending :pixie: and hope that you feel better soon. With a child w/ asthma (dd25 not really a child anymore) I know that this is such a tough time of year. I don't know how it affects you but I'm sure it can't help. Everything here is coated in yellow and the humidity is very high w/ warmer temps make it so hard for her to breathe.
(she just messaged on me AIM as we speak to tell me she is feeling bad :().

Dznygrl79
03-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks all for posting I went yesterday for the tests, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I find out next week whats wrong. I appreciate everyone who gave me a heads up!!
Happy Disney Planning

ElenitaB
03-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Glad to hear it went well. :pixie: to help while you're waiting for results.