PDA

View Full Version : will it be that bad?

BUTTERFLY
03-15-2008, 04:17 PM
This is my first post :mickey:
DH and myself have planed a last minute trip to Disney for March 28-April 1 I was able to get ADR last week with out a problem but after reading all the posts I am scared that the parks are going to be crazy busy. Can someone please tell me how bad it will be. Will the parks fill up and they stop letting people in? I went in October last year and it was not that crowded. I have never been this time and just dont know what to expect.

SBETigg
03-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Welcome, Butterfly! I don't think it will be crazy busy. You're in the week after the holiday week, so maybe things will have quieted down a bit. No one can say exactly what it will be like then. It's a more unpredictable time of year due to school break schedules being different all over the place. But even if there are some crowds, a little strategizing helps make it manageable. Don't stress! It's Disney. How can it not be a great time? :mickey:

lockedoutlogic
03-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Disney is offering some resort deals starting March 29...which is the end of the Easter week....so while i'm sure they still will have good sized crowds the first couple weeks of april....most colleges and schools nationwide are likely to have between now (3/15) and 3/30 off...either the week before or after the easter holiday.

I hope it dies down...i'll be there with our 3 month old the same time

ligirlz
03-15-2008, 04:42 PM
I know some Florida counties have spring break March 31-April 4th. So I don't know how the crowds will be. As the OP said alot of schools have different schedules for thier break. I would expect it to be alittle busier than normal but can't tell you for sure.

dumbo ears
03-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Im going the exact same times and im prepared for bad waits but im just gonna try to keep positive and be ok with waiting. We plan to do EMH for MK on Sunday which is prolly gonna be really crowded but EMH wont be bad at all. I think it will be less crowded than people think because a lot of people will go the week before and some might think that the 2 weeks after easter are too crowded so it might scare some people to not going. So ya just stay positive, take advantage of EMh, get there early and if the parks get bad in the afternoon go to DTD or somewhere and just get a meal and rejuvinate.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Most of the Orlando area schools have SB March 31-April 4, plus count on the weekends before and after. I would expect it to be pretty busy, but unfortunately, I haven't been to fine tune my psychic abilities, so I can't tell you for certain! lol

lockedoutlogic
03-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Most of the Orlando area schools have SB March 31-April 4, plus count on the weekends before and after. I would expect it to be pretty busy, but unfortunately, I haven't been to fine tune my psychic abilities, so I can't tell you for certain! lol

unless things have changed....the locals don't bother going to the parks during "peak" times....why should they? you development a natural aversion to crowds an limited patience if you live or work near there

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-15-2008, 11:14 PM
unless things have changed....the locals don't bother going to the parks during "peak" times....why should they? you development a natural aversion to crowds an limited patience if you live or work near there

well, for teachers, and students, that is kinda the only time you get to go for an extended period of time... I know that myself and a number of my friends plan on heading over there for a few days that week... I have passes, so we go all the time, but it's spring break. Why WOULDN'T we go? Been like that since we moved here in 91. We like our spring breaks and vacations just like everyone else.

lockedoutlogic
03-15-2008, 11:31 PM
well, for teachers, and students, that is kinda the only time you get to go for an extended period of time... I know that myself and a number of my friends plan on heading over there for a few days that week... I have passes, so we go all the time, but it's spring break. Why WOULDN'T we go? Been like that since we moved here in 91. We like our spring breaks and vacations just like everyone else.

i don't doubt that you go...

but you said "orlando".....why would they have to spend an "extended" period of time there if it is 15 minutes away, 365 days a year?

i remember May being a big local month....food and wine....waterparks in the summer....downtown often....of course, a holiday visit or two.....

but florida residents....particularly orlando residents....are an important but not overwhelming portion of the business.....vacation times from the northeast/ midwest/ europe/ brazil seem to more directly correspond with peak crowds

Mickey 101
03-16-2008, 12:21 AM
I can't give any input on the dates you're going, but just wanted to say we went over the holiday season in 2006 and I obsessed over what crowds would be like and whether it would put a huge damper on the experience, perhaps even making us never want to go back again. I have to say the trip went so much better than I anticipated and it was totally worth going even though its the busiest time of year. We never got turned away because a park was at maximum capacity. Also, Disney does its best to accomodate the crowd level. They usually lengthen park hours, have more attractions open, more stations open at CS restaurants, more turnstiles open.......it all really makes a difference. So, I guess the bottom line is, try not to get stressed out about crowds and have a great trip!! :mickey:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-16-2008, 10:47 AM
i don't doubt that you go...

but you said "orlando".....why would they have to spend an "extended" period of time there if it is 15 minutes away, 365 days a year?

i remember May being a big local month....food and wine....waterparks in the summer....downtown often....of course, a holiday visit or two.....

but florida residents....particularly orlando residents....are an important but not overwhelming portion of the business.....vacation times from the northeast/ midwest/ europe/ brazil seem to more directly correspond with peak crowds

We stay quite a few times of year for week long trips... we live an hour away. It has nothing to do with distance. It is nice to go on vacation and spend time away somewhere, especially at Disney. We go and stay at the beach a lot too... yet we are surrounded by it. So proximity to the parks has little to do with it. Even so, day trips do add to crowds as well. Which is what most people do... we are staying during our SB for 2 nights. Then at the end of the week we are going with a large group of friends for the day.

The question was whether it would be busy during that week. I answered yes because of the breaks... We have always gone for day trips or extended trips during Spring Break since I was little and I know that we are not the only family in Central Florida to do so. The point is that when you have 10s of thousands (if not more) students and teachers off for a week all at the same time, crowd increase at a place easily accessible distance wise is not an unreasonable assumption.

So I guess some people don't realize that people that live close to Disney do in fact stay out there, and quite often, too. That's a fair assumption. I am just saying that Spring Break is a great time for parents to take their kids when they are out, and travel wise it is easier.

So to the original poster: yes, expect crowds. Because, even if you don't want to believe that people that live around here actually go during Spring Break because we live close or whatever, you can believe that Orlando area schools are not the only schools in the country on break at that time.

But it's Disney, and fun regardless. Just utilize fastpasses and take breaks, drink lots of water, you know...all that stuff you always hear about!

lockedoutlogic
03-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm a former orlando resident....i know that many people from Tampa, the Gulf Coast, and particuarly the South Atlantic Coast go to WDW quite often for long weekends....

But you made a mention specifically of Orlando residents.....

it is a little different...while they may be more likely to weekend in the beach towns...as we did when we lived there

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-16-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm a former orlando resident....i know that many people from Tampa, the Gulf Coast, and particuarly the South Atlantic Coast go to WDW quite often for long weekends....

But you made a mention specifically of Orlando residents.....

it is a little different...while they may be more likely to weekend in the beach towns...as we did when we lived there

seriously???

I said ORLANDO AREA... surrounding counties, etc. Volusia, Seminole, Flagler, Polk even, including Orange, Osceola, etc. You are arguing over about a 30 min-1 hr difference in location and making mention of one town, which was not my statement at all. I don't understand what you are trying to push.

Just let it rest man.

pixiesmimi
03-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Back to the original discussion, we went Easter/Spring Break week year before last and although we anticipated the crowd and yes, it was busy, it wasn't bad or unmanageable. We just took our time and took frequent breaks. We were able to do all that we wanted and took a break from the parks in the middle of the week. I wouldn't hesitate to go again during the same time period this year. The fact that you were able to get ADRs this late is a good sign.

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I don't really know about this week but I can say that Orlando residence go a lot on the weekends (I have some friends that live less than 15 mins from WDW)....because they are off. I would think that the parks will be more crowded this week if the kids there are off from school for the same reason.

Have Fun!:mickey:

Jonas_Swe
03-17-2008, 09:43 AM
:welcome:

I am crossing my Mickey Ears for you - and I am sure that you will have a Magical time, no matter the crowds! :cloud9:

BluewaterBrad
03-17-2008, 03:37 PM
:welcome:

I am crossing my Mickey Ears for you - and I am sure that you will have a Magical time, no matter the crowds! :cloud9:

Well put. Have fun!!:mickey: