PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about buying DVC?

Deesdisney
03-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Please help me. I am going to buy DVC points at the end of the year but I have some questions and concerns. I was looking into the resales yesterday and I could not believe the resales. There is so many. I am wondering if there is problems besides the Mugs and glass one. I always bring throw away cups and wine glasses so that does not bother me. Is there something that I missed? Can someone tell me why there is so many of them?
Thank you for you help.:confused:

JPL
03-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Resales happen for many reasons they are not related to problems with DVC as much as to the owner's life. I know people who had a timeshare and then they had a child and couldn't vacation like they use to so they sold off their timeshare and used the money to start a college fund for their child. Othe rpeople get divorced, change jobs, run into financial problems. The reasons for are too numerous to imagine. I'm sure some people purchased and realized DVC just wasn't for them.

mulderxcoltrane
03-15-2008, 12:07 PM
In our opinion (b/c we took a long, hard look into buying into DVC) the big issue to address is the level of lodging you're used to. While I believe it's only around $16,500 to lock in for 45 (or so) years, you do have maintenance fees every year (I'm sure someone will post regarding this exact figure) and these figures do rise annually.
As a result, if you normally stay at value level resorts, you'll probably get more for your money continuing to stay at values and passing on the DVC.
If you go multiple times a year - we did the math and it would be cheaper for us to buy an annual pass and use the AP discount for room rates.
Finally - also consider when you would use your DVC and check point charts. Because, if you'd typically stay over Christmas - your point allotment would barely cover a week at Christmas time, so the cost/benefit to you starts to drop.

JUst my two cents - if you don't stay a high-end resorts and only travel to WDW once every year/two years - it may not be worth it.

TexasPrincessAurora
03-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I would have to agree with JPL. I think resales probably happen for the same reasons home sales happen...life changes and financial challenges. I don't think it really has anything much to do with the quality of the DVC or whether people are happy with it. I would read that into it.

lockedoutlogic
03-15-2008, 04:29 PM
I agree with all points that have been stated....

and would add that the consumer credit crunch was bound to affect things like DVC purchases in a big way....

if someone walked into a bad mortgage they couldn't afford a few years down the road....or are not getting the selling price they counted on from their home to make a move....or were forced to put more things on credit or take out home equity loans to make improvements or pay for major purchases....

then when the ecomony starts to slide...as it has....many people who thought they could swing everything can't and now have to throw ballast overboard....

In that kind of scenario.....DVC should logically be the first thing to go.....

Donald A
03-15-2008, 06:02 PM
I agree with all points that have been stated....

and would add that the consumer credit crunch was bound to affect things like DVC purchases in a big way....

if someone walked into a bad mortgage they couldn't afford a few years down the road....or are not getting the selling price they counted on from their home to make a move....or were forced to put more things on credit or take out home equity loans to make improvements or pay for major purchases....

then when the ecomony starts to slide...as it has....many people who thought they could swing everything can't and now have to throw ballast overboard....

In that kind of scenario.....DVC should logically be the first thing to go.....

This is probably exactly it. When my wife and I have had our financial discussions we have agreed that if need be the DVC would be first to go.

Deesdisney
03-15-2008, 07:46 PM
That is what I was hoping for. I have dreamed of this for a long time and I really want to buy in. Thank you.

Johnno52
03-16-2008, 10:22 AM
I agree exactly with what has been sad. If your situation is the oposite and you do have financial security and the ability to visit DVC once or twice annually, this would be the perfect time to buy as through re-sales you can not only buy into whichever resort you want, but get a good bargain as well! :thumbsup: