PDA

View Full Version : Sci Fi at the Studios

disneyduggan
03-14-2008, 10:28 AM
I'd like to hear more about Sci Fi...

How many people can fit in a car? We are a family of 5 (kids 13, 11 and 8).

My husband is a big guy (6-4)...and doesn't like to feel cramped, would this seating work for him?

I looked at the menu...not overly impressed but to folks have a dish they love?

It really looks fun! Just want some more information.

Kidsmom
03-14-2008, 10:40 AM
We ate there last summer. Family of 6, but my husband and I are small and our kids were under 10. We filled the car. I don't remember feeling tight at all. Three rows of 2 people. You could sit at one of the other tables that aren't a "car".

The food wasn't that memorable, but my kids did like the ribs and we all enjoyed great milkshakes. We liked it more for the kids...something different and they liked sitting "alone".

We are going again this year, it is a trade-off for not doing any character dining.

BriarRose0708
03-14-2008, 10:43 AM
You're going to get a wide variety of responses to this one! Sci-Fi is one of those places I've quickly learned that you either love it or hate it.

Personally, I like it. The atmosphere is the biggest draw, I think most people can agree on that. The seating is unique, there is a picture of the car tables on the Sci-Fi menu in Info Central. As I recall, most cars seat four people, two in the front and two in the back. It can be a bit tight. There may be some cars that fit six, but I am not positive. You don't face each other either, everyone sits facing forward to view the screen, so you have to crane your neck around the talk to the people behind you. As a single person I don't notice these things, but I do hear a lot about how Disney is not very accommodating for families larger than four, so you may have to check on this.

The food- is it California Grill? Of course not. It's your regular diner fare, and it can be hit or miss. The general advice most people give is to stick with a burger and fries. I have seen good reviews about the strip steak, Italian chicken sandwich, and penne pasta with shrimp. The spinach and artichoke dip appetizer was very tasty. They have delicious milkshakes and desserts. I am not a fine foods person, so I don't expect much when I go there. It's an enjoyable meal to me, and that's why I like it.

I hope you have a great time!:mickey:

moe513
03-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Fun, fun ,fun........... I compare it to a chilis,Friday or Ruby Tuesday. We always go for lunch. They also have traditional table style seating that looks like cars if your not interested in the "car" type table.

NJGIRL
03-14-2008, 11:58 AM
We were a party of four adults, two teenagers, and two toddlers one year and we all fit in one car. I think they have different sizes. We have eaten there each trip and gotten all types of things and no one has ever had anything that has not been good. Fun atmosphere. I think it's Disney' most creative place to eat.

DISNEYFIX
03-14-2008, 12:34 PM
We didn't like it.
I'm not 6-4 and there was not tons of room.
I would suggest 50's Primetime. Superior food.:thumbsup: Have a great trip.

bleukarma
03-14-2008, 12:39 PM
There are 3 row cars. I think you guys might feel a little cramped and with a family of 5 it might be weird since the rows fit 2 people. Your husband might want to sit in a row by himself, but I don't know how he would feel about that.

I have ate here a few times and I can remember liking the spinach artichoke dip.

This is a place I don't hate...the atmosphere is really unique...but it will be awhile before I go back.

tennantsrwe
03-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi.
We ate at SCIFI back in Dec of 2005. Let me start out by saying the atmosphere was neat. We had a party of 3...myself, DH (6'3) and DD (8 at time. The car wasn't very room. To be honest with you the leg room was little and the table top was worse. My husband sat by himself and still didn't have much comfort. The worst thing about it was the food. Never had anything worse than that in Disney. Some people like it, we would never go back. They managed to mess up my salad, believe it or not. I agree that there are other places with much better food and just as good of atmosphere. I would try 50's Prime Time Cafe...I think you'll be happier. IF you really just want to see what SCIFI is about, go for milkshakes, just not food. :mickey:

goofiecrazy
03-14-2008, 12:58 PM
We eat there every trip and have fun.We make it for lunch and my husband gets the burger and I get the pasta dish..We like the food and its the only place we eat while in the park.

dfamasb
03-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I've been twice; I remember loving it as a kid. On our last trip we were a group of 6, 3 adults, 2 toddlers and a baby and I don't remember being cramped at all (DH is 6'2" and didn't complain). It's a decent meal as long as you're not expecting gourmet fare. I agree with others that lunch is the time to go. I think it's definitely worth a try if you've never been, great atmosphere and a fun time!

crazeedizneefinatic
03-14-2008, 05:09 PM
We are sci-fi fans. Like others have said don't expect gourmet food. I also agree do lunch instead of dinner, there burgers are very good. IMO, your husband will be very cramped in the traditional car seating. They do have a few "cars" that have tables and regular chairs, that will probably be your best bet and would probably mention it when making an ADR. I would not recommend the tables in the back, they are round picnic benches and not very comfy. I think the kids will love it, it really is a neat atmosphere.

chicklittlemom
03-14-2008, 05:43 PM
You will usually get a wide variety of reviews on Sci-Fi. Before our last trip, I read many of the posts and almost didn't book it.

We went for lunch and the kids an DH loved it. DH said it was the best burger and shake he had at WDW. I enjoyed the artichoke/spinach appetizer, but did not like the pasta entree. The desserts were great. We are going back this year.

The atmosphere is neat, unique. Lighting is very dim (of course, it is a theatre). Consider that if you don't like eating in low light. The kids had a blast watching the SciFi movies and really ate well (even my picky eater).

I would try it. It's not my favorite restaurant, but if you like burgers or sandwiches and milkshakes, you will be happy.

Duchess99
03-14-2008, 06:38 PM
I make a point to go every trip for lunch. It's not the best food in the World but the atmosphere is worth it and the milkshakes are great! Where else can you sit in a car and what old movie trailers...it's so fun!
The cars seat 6 (3 rows of 2). Your husband will probably be most comfortable sitting by himself as there isn't a ton of leg room. You can always sit at one of the round tables in the back, but it's not as fun.
I definitely recommend it for lunch...have fun!:mickey:

disneyduggan
03-15-2008, 09:35 AM
I appreciate all the feedback. For the most part folks seem to feel food is fine, atmosphere fun. Pretty much what I thought. It is such a gamble with my DH. Even sitting by himself in a row. If he feels cramped he would not be happy.

Maybe we will do what some have suggested. Shakes and snacks.

Still thinking...

Duchess99
03-16-2008, 02:43 PM
I think they have one of the "car" tables out in front of the restaurant, so have your husband test it out before you go. You can always make an ADR and if he thinks he will be uncomfortable when he tries the table out, cancel the ADR at the desk and go elsewhere. :mickey:

Hull-onian
03-16-2008, 03:00 PM
We are going first time ever. Special request by DD. Couldn't say no to her. I am looking forward to a milkshake and maybe a burger. No sure yet. DD is looking forward to the whole experience. I think she thinks we will be in outta space,:funny:.

Narawen
03-16-2008, 09:43 PM
I went with a party of 5 (2 adults, 2 15 yr olds, and a 4 yr old) and we all fit in one car, but someone had a "row" to themselves. I know I was sitting with the other 15 yr old, the 4 yr old was with mom, and dad was in the back, but no one was particularly tall. I'd guess 2 fit in each row, and your DH could have a row to himself.
I've heard alot of people don't like sci-fi, but I did. The atmosphere and theme were cool, and the food was good. Nothing stellar on their menu that I remember, but it wasn't bad. I'd return but it's not a "must go to" for me. I think everyone should eat there at least once for the atmosphere.

snowflakegirl
03-16-2008, 10:50 PM
DH and I had the backrow of a car on our honeymoon in 2004. He's a larger man and he says that he felt like it was a little tight. He says he wasn't uncomfortable exactly but that he was aware that it was exactly spacious. That said, we already have our ADRs for our upcoming trip this August at his request ... and he highly recommends the ribs. Says they're some of his all-time favorites.

applecore72
03-17-2008, 08:02 AM
What about a highchair for a toddler? Will we be able to sit in a car and still have a highchair for our 2 year-old?

Does anyone know?

elmjimmlm
03-17-2008, 09:12 AM
We ate there in June and we have 5...I thought for our group that there was plenty of room...I loved it...I thought it had the best atmosphere...I did notice beside our car was another car that had seating in the car and also seating on the other side of the table...There are so many different ways to sit that I dont think that you will have any problems...Have a great time...:mickey: