PDA

View Full Version : Lifegurad saved kid at pool

linedropper
03-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Forgot to post about this, I was just reminded reading a trip report from someone. When we were at pop from jan 18-27 of this year i was swimming in the 80's pool with my dd6 and ds5. A little boy was swimming around us and I noticed he was alone but was so intent on watching my kids I just didnt think much more of it assuming someone was watching. % minutes later the lifeguard comes crashing in the pool to save this little boy who was fighting to stay above water! Pulled him out and started yelling for the parents! Looked over and this guy takes his head out of his book and says , oh thats my son! Then never thanked the lifeguard! Kid had to be about 4 years old and was swimming without any vest! Terrible story but thought I would share! I would have felt terrible if this little guy drowned right next to me! I dont remember the kids named who saved him but he deserves some credit, it was a chilly day and he had to finish his shift soaked! Could not have felt good! But he did save a life!

Steve:mickey:

yjgirl715
03-14-2008, 08:44 AM
I agree the father should have thanked the lifeguard for paying attention since he wasn't. That was great of the lifeguard and I hope he didn't get sick from that the cold. Great Job Mr. Lifeguard whereever you are.

disneymom15
03-14-2008, 09:26 AM
I have to add, the lifeguards at Disney are top notch. My husband and I were there in Dec and spent some time at the pool, we were really impressed at how intently the lifeguards watched the pool.

wilshade
03-14-2008, 12:56 PM
I agree that the lifeguards are extremely good, very well trained, and are take their jobs very seriously. It is one of the very first things I noticed about WDW.

Nascfan
03-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Major kudos to the lifeguard! :thumbsup:

BluewaterBrad
03-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Right On!!:mickey:

irish1967
03-15-2008, 06:49 PM
I've had the "opportunity" to see the WDW lifeguards in action (my DH and I were at the CR for our 10 year anniversay - our kids stayed at home) and that one involved a hugely pregnant woman who was letting her toddler (no more than 2 1/2 or 3) swim by herself. :mad:

We saw it as we approached the pool for an afternoon swim. The lifeguards handled the situation extremely professionally and very competently. :thumbsup:

RedheadWriter
03-15-2008, 09:47 PM
:( what a story

linedropper
03-16-2008, 08:22 PM
One thing I did not add that was when the mother came out like 30 minutes later. A stranger went up to her and told her what had happened and she immediately went over and did thank the lifeguard! But the father was clueless! Like he didnt even know what just happened!

Steve:mickey:

SgtTigger
03-16-2008, 08:58 PM
At Typhoon Lagoon I once saw a life guard save 2 brothers on a slide at one time..... they came down back to back and both had major problems once the hit the pool...... Before I could move she had one under each arm and was out the pool..........

Very good job.......

:cop: :tigger:

Tinkerfreak
03-17-2008, 11:50 AM
I agree they are very well trained and seem to have a good system. When I was at the AKL in November a little one had come down the slide and hit pretty hard. Not only did the lifeguard recognize right away that the little one was in trouble and jumped in, but in seconds another lifeguard who was standing by had moved in to take over the station the first lifeguard had left to help the child. It went so smoothly they must have practiced it before. The minute the first lifeguard jumped in the second one immediately ran to the station to replace him. I was totally impressed.

faline
03-19-2008, 06:36 PM
It's good to hear that the lifeguards reacted so well and quickly. It's a very hard job to keep so focused for such long periods of time.

kakn7294
03-19-2008, 10:21 PM
I know it's their job, but they take it very seriously and do a great job. :thumbsup:

Love of Disney
03-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Excellent story and very reassuring. Makes you wonder why some parents act the way they do.

cal5755
03-19-2008, 11:37 PM
That is great to know how safe we are in Disney pools and waterparks!! Thanks for sharing this story...

Tink#64
03-19-2008, 11:54 PM
The life guards at Disney made a huge impression on me with our 1st trip. No - I've never (Thankfully) seen them in action. But, have you watched them when they change shifts or take breaks? When it's time for a break, the new team of life guards come out, they take a turn around the pool. Not just walking around it, they stand & take it all in. Then they trade places with the guard that was on duty. Then, the guard that is being replaced takes a turn around the pool, walking & looking at everything! They are very impressive!

This is definitely something Disney has done right! I always make sure DH or myself is watching DS's (10 & 12), but I feel very secure knowing these aren't your run of the mill, gossiping & busy looking bored teenage guards! These guys & gals take their jobs very seiously & I think it's awesome! :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
03-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Wow glad everything worked out. I don't understand how someone could take the eyes of their child for a second when they are in water.

disneylovinmom
03-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Isn't it amazing that you have to have a license or a permit to do most things anymore, but any idiot can have a child. I saw many people on our last trip to Disney who were not paying the least bit of attention their children. I mean LITTLE kids probably 2 or 3 years old. I just don't understand. I am so glad that the child involved was o.k. I guess that is what is important. Hopefully it was a wake-up call for that dad.

c&d
03-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Having been a lifeguard it never ceases to amaze me now that people don't watch their children in a pool.

They expect the lifeguards to be watching their child, sorry, your child is not the only one in the pool. Parents need to keep an eye on their children.

When DS was little as long as he was in the pool I was watching. If I left for a minute he had to get out of the pool. He always complained, I told him, it goes back to my lifeguarding youth, if I'm not here, no water. I was forever saying, you could drown in an instant and then you'd be sorry. :D

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-21-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm glad someone told the mother what happened. She needs to know that her husband shouldn't be left alone with the kid! I'm glad that it turned out well. I cn imagine sitting in the hot sun makes you sleepy so the life guards really deserve extra credit for being so observant.

tomatoe pie
04-22-2008, 10:03 AM
my daughter is a swim instructor and qualified life guard and she has commented many times on the great job the disney guards do.

i have been very impressed with the guards at sab. that pool must be very difficult to handle since there are so many areas to watch at all times. you can hardly see from one area to the other.

they should be rewarded in some way.:thumbsup: