PDA

View Full Version : Paper Drinking Straws?

dntccc
03-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I am almost certain I have a memory of being at the Magic Kingdom when I was a child and getting a paper drinking straw as opposed to a plastic straw. Did the MK have paper drinking straws at one time, and if so, does anyone know when they stopped using them?

valjane
03-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Yes, they certainly did, but I can't remember when they were discontinued.

Good news, though: you can now find the paper straws at Animal Kingdom (they used to not allow straws at all).

Personally, I can't stand the things. :humph:

threeh
03-12-2008, 02:54 PM
I was just going to post the same thing, paper straws at animal kingdon and animal kingdom lodge!:thumbsup:

Von-Drake
03-12-2008, 03:08 PM
I do not like buying drinks at Animal Kingdom. I understand the no lids no straws policy, but just don't like it. Drinks to easy for my son to spill or for stuff to get into drink. :sick:

McGoofy
03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I can't stand the new biodegradeable straws at AK. I still drink without a straw there. While the new straws are animal friendly, I feel like they are going to dissolve right in my mouth. I just don't like them.:down:

mac badger
03-17-2008, 12:53 AM
yes, they definitely used to have paper straws, i remember them from visits in the 70s. it goes along with memories of the powder soap they used to have in the restrooms.
if youve ever been to the restaurant chain ted's montana grill, they have both paper straws and powder soap, and it always reminds me of childhood

McGoofy
03-17-2008, 10:35 AM
yes, they definitely used to have paper straws, i remember them from visits in the 70s. it goes along with memories of the powder soap they used to have in the restrooms.
if youve ever been to the restaurant chain ted's montana grill, they have both paper straws and powder soap, and it always reminds me of childhood

Ewwww...powdered soap...I remember that from the early Disney days. I didn't like that either. I didn't like the feel or the smell.:(

baby minnie's mommy
03-17-2008, 11:28 AM
I do not like buying drinks at Animal Kingdom. I understand the no lids no straws policy, but just don't like it. Drinks to easy for my son to spill or for stuff to get into drink. :sick:

Last time at AK I walked under a walkway and thought something dropped in my drink...maybe my imagination, but I still had to throw it away. :sick: That's one reason I prefer lids, but I'm ok with it at that park, as I know it's better for the animals. :thumbsup: I try to buy the drinks in bottles at the little stands when I can.

Imagineer1981
03-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I can't stand the new biodegradeable straws at AK. I still drink without a straw there. While the new straws are animal friendly, I feel like they are going to dissolve right in my mouth. I just don't like them.:down:

I hate that feeling...its like rubbing wet paper on your lips...gives me the chills and it kinda makes the soda taste like a roll of paper towels:ack:

McGoofy
03-17-2008, 01:48 PM
I hate that feeling...its like rubbing wet paper on your lips...gives me the chills and it kinda makes the soda taste like a roll of paper towels:ack:

You got that right!! That is the exact feeling that I was trying to describe. You nailed it!:ack:

MickeyChick
03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
I think it's interesting that people have developed such strong feelings over something as insignificant as a straw.

Taja
03-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Once upon a time in a land far, far away...

All straws were paper!

I think the serious conversion occurred in the 80s throughout the land. I distinctly recall using paper straws through the early 80s, although many restaurants had converted.

IloveDisney71
03-19-2008, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the memories! I hadn't thought of the paper straws or powdered soap in a long time! That seems like a long.... time ago.

lindique
03-19-2008, 05:35 PM
The problem with the old paper straws is that they would collapse in your mouth after they got wet. Made drinking very difficult. I found the new ones in Animal Kingdom to be much sturdier.