PDA

View Full Version : Planning ADR excitement, they just don't understand.

Jeff G
03-12-2008, 02:00 PM
We are going to WDW in September with my entire family. We're on the bounce back free dining promo and our 180 day window is coming up soon. The other day I contacted everyone and asked for their dining choices and shared mine. The response I got was its to early to think of dining and they would prefer to wing it (being a group of three families and 13 guests coupled with the possibility of free dining in September not a great idea but what do I know).

The dining is now becoming a major point of contention because we have different agendas. My suggestion was we all pick our restaurants and the ones that overlap we get together with and the ones that we differ on we split up for. It seems simple enough and it's impossible to think four families will all have the same priorities for a nine day trip. I don't think it was popular.

The most recent dilemma is we'll be at WDW for my nephews birthday and we want to get together for diner on his special day. When I sent out our original plans we had the Hoop De Doo on Monday as one of our meals which my parents indicated they also wanted to do. The response I got back was that the other family wanted to do the luau and move it to my nepshews bday on Tuesday thus forcing us to abandon the HDD. My kids will be 11, 9, 3 & 1. I can't picture the show holding the Luau interest of the two younger ones nor can I see them sitting through this show. Being a two credit meal I would hate to ruin the show for others there with antsy young kids so I can already picture spending a good portion of the show with the young ones out in the lobby. Plus my DW & I really have no interest and had originally planned the hoop de doo which better suits our kids(we can only do one two credit meal though). When I suggested the HDD I was told no. I then asked to switch the luau to another night and do a different restaurant that we planned to do together, like Chef Mickey's or the Sci Fi which an 8 year old would love. This would offer a chance to be together for my nephews b-day and yet allow us to do the Hoop de Doo while they could do the luau but I was told no to this idea as well. I was toald they asked what he wanted to do on his birthday and he choose the luau(did they explain he could do it a different day?). My family really wants to spend his special day with him, my kids are buddies with him, so I feel like I should sacrifice and do the luau.

It's all such a buzz kill.Planning the trip out and making the ADR's is one of the aspects of the trip my DW & I love most, the trip starts to feel so real at this point and we get excited doing it. We, like so many others here, count down the days until the 180th day before our trip so we can start making our ADR's. I'm sure I'm not 100% normal in the real world but here in Intercot I know I fit right in :mickey:.I just wish they got it like we did and would be more flexible.

Sorry to vent.

offwego
03-12-2008, 02:13 PM
It is tough when it's so many different goals and levels of understanding.

However I'm sure your nephews excitement over the choice being what he really really want's to do will make that a worthwhile thing for you in the end. (and if I'm not mistaken there are some chances for kids to interact there so perhaps that will help your little ones to have a better time)

What's that old saying..you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink? If you feel you must you may want to make some ADR's for the group as a fall back position and cancel them if everyone doesn't choose those spots. (like say one at some of the other places you've mentioned). We told my DB & DSIL that "you had to do ADR's with the free dining cause it was a part of the deal" hey they didn't know better and we told them the truth after we did it.

WriteDisney
03-12-2008, 02:22 PM
First of all, I've been planning my ADR's for September since last year.. It's alot of fun thinking about all the possibilities you have and its something I enjoy alot... :mickey:

You made a wise choice in allowing each family in your party to decide their dinners on their own. I had originally planned a March trip with extended family this year, and that was our plan. DBF and I do what meals we want do to and we coordinate any meals we want to share.. making ADR's in advance for us was great because all dinners were settled and there wouldn't be any problems in choosing

I can really understand your situation in terms of the luau, its his birthday, so its important to spend time together as a family, but since your children are young, this might not work for them. I would say put your foot down, explain to them that the children would not enjoy it (and neither would you if they don't enjoy it) and the HDR would work out better for you guys. You could always do a lunch together someplace special on his birthday (or another day whatever works).

While it is his birthday and you don't want to hurt his feelings, I would say do what's best for your family. Because if your all miserable (or at least unhappy) at the luau, it wouldn't be good for anyone. I would think kids that age at a luau might get bored and antsy, and the HDR would be much more fun for them.

This way everyone can have fun! :mickey:

MMouse6937
03-12-2008, 03:01 PM
I just made my ADRs this morning and I can totally relate to your frustration. I was trying to go over them with DH last night before I called this morning and there was this glazed look in his eyes, then he looked like he was in pain. :confused:

Planning where we're going to dine is one of my favorite things about planning. It's tough when people think your going way overboard.

I hope you have good luck in the rest of your planning! Take care! :thumbsup:

diz_girl
03-12-2008, 03:32 PM
If the other families don't want to make reservations, then that's their problem. Just make sure that your family has reservations. Give the other parties the WDW Dining phone number so that they can make their own reservations and leave it up to them. Just gently remind them that because it will most likely be free dining, the restaurants will fill up fast, so they may have problems getting a table if they wing it. You can then tell them that if the can get a table that's great, but you don't want them complaining to you about it if they don't. That's all that you can do.

As for the luau, just go - since it's a birthday celebration for your nephew. You'll have the other nights to do what you want to do. Just ask that it be the early show so that it's not past your littlest one's bedtime. You might be surprised at how much your little ones show interest in the luau, as music and dancing can really keep their attention. And it's only 90 minutes long, so hopefully it won't be a really long night. Maybe you'll be able to catch some fireworks from the Poly beach after the show.

Good luck!

phillydan
03-12-2008, 04:03 PM
I can totally relate. I enjoy trying to plan out ADR's (with flexibility, of course) but no one seems to be concerned about the importance. Then, when we are in the World and can't get in for an unplanned stop, there is much whining and nashing of teeth.

My rule now is to just set it up for the majority, because you can't please everyone all of the time. Remember, the ADR's are to reduce the stress and hassle of your trip, not increase it by worrying about everyone else.

Best of luck.

mdhiggin
03-12-2008, 04:35 PM
My extended family doesn't even understand why we keep going back to WDW much less the intricacies of dining. I'll tell them we're going on vacation. They ask where to. Where else? Disney World.

WelshieLover
03-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I can understand you feelings on the luau however this is not about you, it is about your nephew and his special day. I would NOT try and convince him or his parents to change their minds. How would you like to have that done to you or your children on your or their birthdays? I know I wouldn't. I often find the the things I have the lowest expectations of, turn out to be some of the best experiences. It may turn out your children have a fantastic time. Be positive about it and you may be surprised.

Deesdisney
03-12-2008, 07:10 PM
I have the opposite problem. Everyone looks at me like I am strange and tells me pick whatever. So I am sitting here looking at the menus to see if there is something there for everyone. DD only eats chicken, DH would rather have meat and potatos, DS eats anything that is not done with alot of seasoning, and of course there is DD who is 5 and does not like to have chicken all the time but is very picky. So I told them I am trying my hardest to make everyone happy.

khkymanager
03-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Is your family related to mine? We just returned from our trip to WDW and I ran into almost exactly the same issues. I got some general opinions from the extended family of their general food likes and dislikes. Then being the seasoned Disney veterans we are DH and I selected and booked the ADRs we thought would suit our large group. We also had someone insist on the Luau for a birthday celebration. My DH was less than thrilled to go to the Luau but to appease everyone we went with the flow. Well needless to say everyone was glad we had gone ahead and made the ADRs. We had to change one ADR to accomodate the six year olds melt down. And much to my DH surprise he loved the Luau. My suggestion is make the ADRs and go to the Luau. Enjoy your vacation you will be with your family and you have many more years to do it your way.

Duchess99
03-12-2008, 10:02 PM
My extended family doesn't even understand why we keep going back to WDW much less the intricacies of dining. I'll tell them we're going on vacation. They ask where to. Where else? Disney World.

:ditto:

I'm sorry this is such a bummer for you...planning is totally part of the fun! Like others have said, I think it's a good idea that you decided to make your other ADRs separate. This way everyone will be happy.
As far as the Luau goes, the last time I went was about 20 years ago :jaw: so I can't really comment on how fun it is now, but it's probably best to **** it up this time to avoid family conflicts. You can always hit HDDR next time you're at the World.

Jeff G
03-12-2008, 11:17 PM
This is so frustrating & I shouldn't have set myself for anwers I didn't want to here.

Last year we wanted to do the Hoop de doo but it was booked and we've been planning to do it this year. Both my parents and my older two kids both want to do it and have been looking forward to it. When I sent out my original plans the HDD was included. I then was told the Luau was the other families prefernece and they didn't want the hoop de doo. Rather than going with the majority they put the luau on my nephews b-day forcing to abondon our plans. A 8 year old would have found a meal at Chef Mickey's or Sic FI or any number of other places awesome allowing us to split up and they could do the luau another day while we go to HDD. Why does the b-day have to include the luau. Am I wrong to think that them not bending and holding us hostage to their desire not the majorities desire is incorrect, remeber 2/3 don't want to do it? If you had a 3 year old and 15 month old would you go to the luau? I wouldn't. My DW & I did the luau on our honeymoon 14 years ago and said we would never go back.

Our plan is to spend the day at the AK with them and ahve lunch and then at diner go our own way.

Sorry for venting.

Mickey91
03-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Wow! What a delemma. I can see your point of view. I totally get not wanting to spend 2 TS credits on something you don't enjoy. We are going for the bounce back in Sept as well and I wouldn't give 2 TS credits for anything. They are way too valuable for me. And, even though we go at least once a year, I don't want to spend one moment of our time doing stuff I don't like.

That being said, when it comes to birthdays, the birthday boy calls the celebration. So, since it is his birthday, I figure you have a couple of choices.

A. you can go to the Luau ( I think your kids would be okay. Ours loved it) and go to HoopDeeDoo next time.

B. Bow out of the festivities and plan another time during the day to see your nephew and then head over to the HoopDeeDoo.

C. See if you can have a breakfast at Chef Mickey's as well. Your Nephew will get a great start to his special day, you get to celebrate with him AND you are off the hook at the Luau.

You may also want to let them know that there won't be a special celebration at the Luau. They do a generic stand up if it's your birthday, honeymoon, anniversary kind of thing.

I hope this helps some. :mickey: Make those other ressies ASAP!! You will be glad you did and the others will wish they had. Also, once the birthday is resolved, make a huge effort to keep peace of mind by reminding yourself that you are not responsible for them having a good time. Make sure your family is happy and let the others do their own thing.

GOOD LUCK!

Oh sorry, I missed the part where you had already decided to spend dinner your own way. Hey, that is fine. And, since you will be at AK, how about the new Donald Safari breakfast? That might make a fun start to a birthday!

tennantsrwe
03-13-2008, 07:36 AM
We had a lot of the same issues last Dec when we went with our inlaws. I, being the biggest Disney fan, was in charge of all the planning. I got soooo ticked off trying to do it we vowed to NEVER vacation with other people again. Sounds harsh? No, first they want you to plan all this for them and then they complain constantly. Then they want to hang with you in the parks and complain some more about the rides you like. I agree with the splitting up thing, it really help get a break from everyone. Wish we could have 'lost' our inlaws for a bit while we were there. And I was more tolerable than my hussy, and it was his sister and her family. I agree with your philosophy about the 2 TS credits. I think a better choice given the large number and the little ones woud be Chef Mickey's or maybe even H&V for a Playhouse Disney lunch. (I think it's still there.) Why does it have to be a birthday diner? Maybe this is an option not considered? I know 8 may seem a little old for the Playhouse Disney thing but out DD (10) still has a blast :blush: (She'd die if she knew I told ya!) Good luck with everything, I hope you have a better experience than we did. :mickey:

offwego
03-13-2008, 08:09 AM
This is so frustrating & I shouldn't have set myself for anwers I didn't want to here. Our plan is to spend the day at the AK with them and ahve lunch and then at diner go our own way, if this isn't popular well live with it.

My fault I guess for asking and venting.

Sorry that it wasn't helpful. Hope you have a good time on your trip.

chick20679
03-13-2008, 08:34 AM
I agree with you that an 8 year old would probably have liked chef mickey's or sci-fi as a birthday dinner, but you can only do so much and if they've decided that the luau is what would be best for their family, then you have to decide what will be best for yours.

C. See if you can have a breakfast at Chef Mickey's as well. Your Nephew will get a great start to his special day, you get to celebrate with him AND you are off the hook at the Luau.

I agree with this post.
What about having breakfast altogether on the nephew's b-day? That way, you'll get to help him celebrate, and still get to do the HDD. Sort of a win-win?

Hope you can figure everything out. And I hope you enjoy your vacation. :mickey:

Duchess99
03-13-2008, 06:49 PM

I also think this is the best idea. It's the best way to keep everyone happy. Just be honest with your family and tell them you don't think the Luau will be good for your young kids. They should understand.
Good luck and hopefully you'll be able to enjoy your vacation! :mickey:

Tinkerfreak
03-14-2008, 12:58 PM
My family doesn't mind planning for ADR's they just hate having to do it so soon. They were all fine doing it 90 days in advance but when they changed it to 180 they all kind of thought it was rediculous and that it had gotten out of hand.