PDA

View Full Version : Completely torn about use of points

Aurora
03-12-2008, 01:45 PM
My dilemma:

We're staying in a 1-bedroom at BWV from June 8-15 for a total of 264 points. We can get a 1-bedroom at SSR for 237 points, but we would rent a car for the week, whereas if we stay at BWV we'll need a car for two of the seven days (for Atlantic Ocean trip and Universal :secret: ).

I'm feeling really guilty about using all these points at BWV. We have three kids -- 12, 9 and 3, and I know it would be ideal to be at the Boardwalk, but I'm having a hard time justifying the point use.

What to do??????

JMTStone
03-12-2008, 01:54 PM
My HOME is at SSR and we stayed there last year around Thanksgiving. My trip in June (14 - 22 - Maybe I'll see you?) will be at the Boardwalk. One of the reasons I chose DVC is the opportunity to stay at the other resorts. I want to try them all!!!!

This may not help you but I'm thinking being within walking distance to one of our favorites (EPCOT) would make a difference for us. We spent a LOT of time on a bus last trip with SSR.

sloslo
03-12-2008, 03:20 PM
I've stayed in both but really do love the SSR. Great one bedroom with full living room and kitchen. Short boat ride right to DTD. It's getting tougher and tougher to park there so taking the boat is a real time saver. Artists Palette for food is excellent and they have a great zero entry pool. Also, Community hall is a great place for kids.

Johnno52
03-12-2008, 03:25 PM
If you feel guilty for spending extra points for BW then don't. The DVC resorts are there for us to use and enjoy. Its no different than going to a other hotels, they all have something different to offer for a price. My home DVC is BW and I stayed at SSR first before I used it for BW and liked it very much. Like JMT said try them all. My DW and I get studios which allow us 2 trips per year. You have to use the points whichever way suits your needs.
So go and enjoy BW and try the sticky buns at the bakery, its a meal, well almost! :D

doodleboy
03-12-2008, 03:35 PM
I bought a resale at BCV just for the location and the pool. We love being able to walk to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios (not as far as you think it is if you have never walked it). You seem to be having an issue with the number of points being used for the location. I understand that but there is a reason for the additional points, location, location, location. Of course I'm not sure of all your details. If you have to borrow from following year to stay at BWV, then I would be considering the same. But if not, that's what the points are there for. I'm probably no help, but that's just my two cents.

wendy*darling
03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Do you have the points to use? Or are you borrowing from future vacations? If you have them- use them. But if staying at BWV means not going next year- then go with SSR.

Honestly, as much as I love the Epcot resorts- I would go with the 1 bedroom at SSR, but still only rent the car for the same days as you have planned. The bus service is fine- and you can walk or boat to DTD. To get to MK and AK, you have to use buses at BWV anyway, and they share with other resorts. SSR at least has it's own bus service (last time I stayed there anyway).

I think all of the DVC resorts are fun. Just decide how those extra points would be used if you stayed at SSR instead.

Aurora
03-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I've stayed in both but really do love the SSR. Great one bedroom with full living room and kitchen. Short boat ride right to DTD. It's getting tougher and tougher to park there so taking the boat is a real time saver. Artists Palette for food is excellent and they have a great zero entry pool. Also, Community hall is a great place for kids.

I've stayed at SSR but not the Boardwalk (my parents have). When you say "full" living room and kitchen, does that mean the BW unit is smaller? Also does the BW pool not have zero entry? It doesn't make a huge difference for us, since we'll always be there when the kids are in the pool, but it's nice to know in advance.

Do you have the points to use? Or are you borrowing from future vacations? If you have them- use them. But if staying at BWV means not going next year- then go with SSR.

We aren't borrowing, but it means we won't be using them for anything else this year, and we've gotten used to multiple trips with various family members in four short years. :blush:

I bought a resale at BCV just for the location and the pool. We love being able to walk to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios (not as far as you think it is if you have never walked it). You seem to be having an issue with the number of points being used for the location. I understand that but there is a reason for the additional points, location, location, location.

We've stayed at the Beach Club and DID make the walk to the Studios, which was very nice. Of course that's when the two older ones were only 5 and 3 and strapped into a double stroller. :D

Frankly the only reason we are staying at the BW is the location (and the fact that since I'm trading off being close to DTD at night, I want some sort of nightlife nearby). Otherwise we definitely would stay at SSR. I think the resort is just beautiful.

Sharon1026
03-13-2008, 07:56 AM
I really like SSR. The bus service has never been an issue for us and you can walk to DTD.

Personally, I prefer to be a little bit away from the parks... I do like some downtime and you can get that at SSR.

Good luck with your choice. Don't worry about the bus thing - it's not a big deal.

wendy*darling
03-13-2008, 10:49 AM
I've stayed at SSR but not the Boardwalk (my parents have). When you say "full" living room and kitchen, does that mean the BW unit is smaller?
No, they are the same size.

Also does the BW pool not have zero entry?
No, their pool does not have zero entry.
(Plus it has that hideous (to me :D) clown!

We aren't borrowing, but it means we won't be using them for anything else this year...
Frankly the only reason we are staying at the BW is the location (and the fact that since I'm trading off being close to DTD at night, I want some sort of nightlife nearby). Otherwise we definitely would stay at SSR. I think the resort is just beautiful.
How important is that?
I would go with SSR.

Sharon1026
03-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Wendy - yes, that clown is sort of scary, isn't it??

:)

Aurora
03-14-2008, 07:12 PM
... it has that hideous (to me :D) clown!

We have a garden/pool view room and for the first time ever I hope we're looking at the garden instead of the pool!! :D