PDA

View Full Version : For those living in Central Florida

murphy1
03-12-2008, 12:31 PM
This is good news, I have been driving by when down there to see the area, glad you have some options to shop at. This land has been so underutilized:

Target was the first of five major stores slated to open this month at Posner Park, the $500 million mixed-use project in Polk County.

Two more openings are expected this week at the 280,000-square-foot retail element of the 368-acre Posner Park, a redevelopment of the former Baseball City complex and Kansas City Royals' spring training facility at the corner of Interstate 4 and U.S. Highway 27.

Belk is expected to open Wednesday and Books-A-Million debuts on Friday, while Staples is set to open April 12 and Best Buy on April 25.

Other openings planned for late summer or early fall are J.C. Penney, Dick's Sporting Goods, Ross Dress for Less, Michaels, and PetSmart, which total 225,562 square feet.

Posner Commons, an 80-acre piece of Posner Park, involves 630,000-square-feet of retail space valued at nearly $100 million. The center includes 11 anchor tenants and smaller specialty retailers.

Posner Park is being developed by a joint venture formed by Dallas-based Trammell Crow Co., Boardwalk Land Development Inc. and Met Life. The project was approved for 1.5 million square feet of retail, more than 1 million square feet of Class A office space, 2,600 upscale hotel rooms, and nearly 2,000 luxury multifamily homes.

Ed
03-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh, yeah. There's LOTS of commercial development going on all over Central Florida. A little east of WDW along Osceola Parkway surrounding John Young Parkway, "The Loop" (which is only about 2 years old) is being greatly expanded with stores including JC Penney, Circuit City and Belk. Across the street a new Best Buy opened not long ago, followed by an Olive Garden, a new Perkins is under construction, and a little west of that a new Publix is underway. Farther north on JYP, the new headquarters of Darden Restaurants (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Bahama Breeze, etc.) is going up.

On the down side, however, is a huge glut of brand new but unsold housing and an enormous supply of existing homes for sale with very few buyers. Couple that with high property taxes and ridiculous homeowners insurance costs and it kinda makes you wonder just who is going to support all these new businesses. :confused:

kbean
03-12-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm thinking about moving to that area just for the fact that there's not much around. I see all these areas to live going up and it's much cheaper than where I live.

murphy1
03-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Ed, can you guys still get homeowners ins down there?? My parents have been lucky and not dropped. The ins. co. I worked for did manuf and mobile homes which was dumb b/c Andrew wiped that out. I am amazed at that area you mentioned off JYP and how much it's grown. I am afraid Clermont is growing faster than I like, I used to love seeing nothing but hills through there. But that area on the corner of I-4 and 27 has been so sad since they closed Circus world/Boardwalk, so it's nice to see something there. I am kind of excited about the hotels going in there, b/c there is nothing really there and I like to stay off property and get over to Tampa, too away from the touristy spots.

Flower
03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
I am excited that the stores are opening there as well! The in laws live south on the 27 so we pass that area frequently, especially on the way to WDW.

The traffic now seems to be congested turning from the 27 to the 4, the mall is going to make that area a mess I think, but I will still go shopping!!!

It will be nice to have so much in that area.

And Shari...I remember Circus World....good times!!! I have pics of me with my face painted as a clown, and I remember how I wanted to be one of those acrobats. When did that close?

And speaking of growth...is there a Great Wolf Lodge going in near Busch Gardens?

Ed
03-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Ed, can you guys still get homeowners ins down there??

Oh, yeah. As long as you're willing to give up a few insignificant luxuries. Like eating, or wearing new clothes.

What I'm paying in insurance offsets what I'm NOT paying in state income taxes like in my old home state.

All things considered, though, I'd rather be here. Only thing I shovel out of my driveway now is sand.

:cool:

Flower
04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
A friend is going to Florida in a couple of weeks and is looking for some shopping, her husband loves shopping at Dick's.....does anyone have any updates on what is open? Any possibility any of these stores are opening early? (I doubt it!)

Terra
04-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Yes!! I'm loving that there is a target about 20-25 minutes from me now instead of an hour!!!!

Shoot even in little Lake Wales we finally have a Chili's! :haha: Big news!! LOL...

I really hate to see some of the groves and natural land going though and do hope that they keep some of it off limits just to preserve the "beauty of Florida"
But I am glad to see new industry coming [new jobs and all!]
Oh they even opened a Hampton Inns [I think that's the name] Hotel in Lake Wales!

Ed
04-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Yes!! I'm loving that there is a target about 20-25 minutes from me now instead of an hour!!!!

Shoot even in little Lake Wales we finally have a Chili's! :haha: Big news!! LOL...

Oh they even opened a Hampton Inns [I think that's the name] Hotel in Lake Wales!

Wow! Next thing you know, they'll even have indoor plumbing in Lake Wales! ;)

Just kidding... that's a very nice area. :thumbsup:

Yep, there's still a lot of "wide open spaces" all over the state, but occasionally we'll be driving through some of those areas with absolutely no signs of civilization and we'll remark "I wonder what this area will look like in another ten years? A Wal-Mart over there, a 7-11 here, a CVS down the road (with the obligatory Walgreen's right across the street), and of course a Starbucks every two miles." I hope it never comes to that, but you need only look at the proposed new city of Destiny in south Osceola County to see that the days of the beautiful huge ranches, farms and orchards are numbered. :(

murphy1
04-28-2008, 09:32 AM
She's not kidding!! There's Spook Hill, Bok Gardens and Tower and a tiny mall! LOL. I love LW Terra, I still remember the Donald Duck OJ plant. Glad you have a nice shopping area near you, especially with #2 on the way. This is great for people like me who travel on I-4 from Orlando to Tampa and need to stop off, but I agree Ed, I still love going through Ocala and Gainesville b/c of the rolling farms and ranches. Clermont used to be like that, I loved it there.

Flower
04-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Shari - there is still a Donald Duck on top of the Florida's Natural Factory on the East Side - we wave to him every time we go past!

Terra - we actually ate at the Chili's when we were there! I knew they were building a nice looking hotel on the 27 but did not know it was a Hampton Inn!!! Have they ever done anything with the 'Grand' downtown?

murphy1
04-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Lea-Ann, The Grand Hotel is so sad, it reminds me of a big green Tower of Terror, Terra and I were talking about it last time I saw her. They still don't have a developer for it, there are so many cool hotels from the 20's in Florida that are gorgeous today. When I grew up in St. Pete, the Vinoy sat vacant for years, friends of mine would sneak into it. Now it's gorgeous! We got to go into it when the City wanted us to vote not to tear it down, the details were incredible even prior to restoration. I really hope they don't tear down the Grand! I love the old stuff.

Flower
04-29-2008, 01:05 PM
I think I first saw the grand about 5 years ago and it has always stuck with me - the exterior marble and the windows look so fascinating.

It could totally be a beautiful boutique/spa/restaurant on the main level and I am sure the hotel levels could be converted into stunning condos.

Such a travesty that it is rundown, vacant, and painted hospital green.

Does anyone have a few million dollars they could lend me so I could develop it? Mr Trump, would you happen to be reading this and would fork over the cash???!!!!

**EDITED TO ADD**
I just did some online checking - the city now owns it but "The city wants to find someone who can guarantee renovation of the 1926 building. The city would sell the building for $10." I can afford 10 bucks!!! I just don't have the money to renovate it!

murphy1
04-29-2008, 03:37 PM
I have jokingly said to dh I would totally buy it if I won the lottery when I saw it again last Summer. The downtown area, I think it's the Arcade, is really cool. I used to see an insurance agent in there I was a martketing rep for. That area of Polk County was where alot of the seasonal Northerners would stay to escape the cold back in the 20's and early 30's.

Flower
04-29-2008, 04:39 PM
:offtopic: My inlaws winter/own just South of Lake Wales in Frostproof (That is why I am so familiar with the area). Local legend has it that it was named Frostproof because the area never received frost during the winter - which explains why Floridas Natural is there and there are so many groves. I love the name of the Orchard Roads - so homey and small town!

If you win the lottery you can hire me to oversee the project and if I will you can do the same for me!

There is another building, it may be the arcade, that looks totally Spanish/South West and I think has an inner courtyard area - beautiful buildings there anyway!

ILoveLegos
04-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Nostalgia - I like the Murals in Lake Wales and I bring my out of town friends over the experience Spook hill for fun. The Bok Tower marks my mental "halfway point" to Disney World and let's not forget the nostalgia of Cypress Gardens! A little more shopping areas are welcome in my book, because compared to my NJ home - I live part-time in the boonies in FL (Avon Parks Lakes). The cool thing is that we've got a local Olive Garden now - so with all the development a lot more dining options are finally opening up out my way. I always welcome the opportunity to "slow down" and enjoy the smell of the orange orchards and the orange juice rinds burning (at least that's the best way I can describe the smells comming from Florida Natural's plant on 27) and I hope that never changes.