PDA

View Full Version : I need your opinion!

DisneyFreak23
03-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Ok, so I am going to WDW in June 9-13 with my friend sara and both of our grandmothers. I am determined to have fun but i have a teensy problem. My grandma is pretty much going to blatantly refuse me and Sara the right to go ANYWHERE without her. She is convinced i will be lost, kidnapped or something else. I am a 14 year old girl who is very responsible, and I know the Magic Kingdom like the back of my hand. My mother and Father( who are normally very strict) have told me that its perfectly alright with them if Sara and I were to hop on the Monorail (were staying at Poly) and got to the MK as long as we stuck together and both have cellphones. My mother has even tried speaking to my grandmother, but she told my mom that she even had a dream i got lost in Disney. If i know my grandomther, then she will basically have on a leash, and a very tight one at that. I dont know how to show her that I a resposible enough to go on my own in MK for maybe a few rides or something.

I just need her to see that I'm resposible and not somecareless personm who knows nothing about Disney. She knows just as well as I do that the MK is practically my house and i can give turn by turn directions to anywhere in the park.

I'm not asking to ditch my poor grandmother, who is also familiar with the parks, I just want a little independence, and only in the MK at that. Personally, a Disney trip would be just fine with me if it were all spent in the Magic Kingdom. :cloud9:

Help Me!:thumbsup:

MsMin
03-12-2008, 01:01 PM
I understand your concern and need to have some free time. I agree with you that MK is very safe and I have let my own kids go off even when they were younger than you (when I was in the park).
It sounds like (from what you have written) that your grandmother is not mean and controlling but just is very worried. What we do to desensitize a person is to start in small doses. Are there rides that she doesn't like to ride?
Try to do things to develop her trust and to build her confidence for your safety. Does she have a cell phone too?
What does she enjoy doing? What will she be doing when you are gone? Does she think she will be alone?
Try to be patient with her and see it as a fear and not control. Sounds like she loves you very much and is so afraid something could happen to you.
Good luck with your planning.... :minnie:

tennantsrwe
03-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi.
Do you think maybe you could suggest hanging with Grandma in the morning at the park and then splitting for the afternoon. Even if you aren't allowed to leave the park you're in, it would give you a little freedom. Maybe what you need here is a compromise. I can understand grandma's concern...as will you once you're a parent and grandparent. ;) But I also relate to you wanting a bit of independance. I think your parents, you and your grandmother need to sit and talk about the situation so everyone is on the same page. Maybe you all could invest in the walkie talkies, if you don't have them, that have like a 3 mile range so while you're in the same park you all can communicate with each other at all times. We take those even if we stick together, never know when you might accidently loose someone in a crowd. Make suggestions to help ease her mind and continue to show her you're a mature young lady. Things might change, be positive.

Tiggerlovr9000
03-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I know this is not what you want to hear but as long as you are under your grandmother's care then I think you should cut her alot of slack. Maybe the way to get her to lighten up is to not whine on this trip at all about getting to go on your own. I know if I had someone else's child on a trip, that I would be totally over protective. Sorry, I also think your mother is wrong, she should have stood by your grandmother. When you travel with your parents then you go by their rules. You are so lucky to have a grandmother that wants to spend so much time with you. Those will be some of your best memories when growing up. Have a great trip.

LauraF
03-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Whether it's right or wrong, your grandmother cares about you and worries about you, so you may just have to live with it.

But a couple of suggestions from when I was your age and had to deal with it with MY family:

1. Carry a cell phone or walkie-talkie and make sure your grandmother has everything she needs to contact you whenever she needs to. (Just don't be like me and accidentally leave it on while on SM and let it pick you up screaming for fun. I nearly killed my mother with that trick. :blush: )

2. Try to do shorter periods apart and come back with a compromise. Try 'Hey Grandma, we've only got an hour until lunch and we're in the same area as the restaurant. How about I go off with my friend in this area and meet you at wherever for lunch? That way you know we can't go far.'

3. Tell her EXACTLY where you're going and stick to it. If you say you'll be in Fantasyland do not go to Tomorrowland without contacting her and letting her know. That way if the worst were to happen your grandmother could at least give the authorites an area to start in.

Remember that you want to show her you're acting and thinking like an adult, not a child who's more upset that she can't go play.

mrsgaribaldi
03-13-2008, 04:40 AM
I like all the suggestions of the previous posters. Remember, it doesn't matter how responsible you are and how well you know your way around the MK. I think alot of people get a false sense of security when they are somewhere like the parks. It's not you, it's the people in the parks. Enjoy the time with you grandmother, even if it's ALL THE TIME. Before you know it, you will be totally grown, grandma will be gone, and you will be wishing for the days when she took you and your friend to Disney. Go enjoy it, let grandma have some peace of mind;) Believe me, your day will come when you will be on your own and loving it:thumbsup:

thrillme
03-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I agree with "mrsgaribaldi"

You only have a short period of time to be a kid and be with your Grandmother. Have you thought that maybe in addition to her fear of losing you at Disney...she's afraid of "losing you" to growing up.

I fully believe that you are a responsible 14 year old and right now that seems sooo old. You aching to reach out for independence and to fly. My DS is 12 and I have dozens of pictures on my wall from infancy on up. Before long he'll be at college as you will be and I know I'll pretty much be replaced by friends and a wife. The greatest gift you can give us as parents and as a grandchild is to let us love you and hold you as a child for as long as possible. My grandmother was the same way.

My son's grandmother wants every moment she can get to see him smile and to experience the things he's doing. If you want to go out with your girlfriend on this trip consider little trips to the pool. Or maybe going on a couple of rides and planning on meeting up with grandma at a specific time. Be early, not late and carry walkie talkies or cell phones. I have a feeling if you don't push the issue too hard Grandma will "lighten up" when she gets there. (My grandmother was always really TIGHT with me but once she got to whereever and "relaxed" herself my binds were released a bit)