PDA

View Full Version : Rope Drop?

MickeyChick
03-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Tell me what happens at rope drop at the Magic Kingdom? Someone told me Mickey comes along on the train and drops the rope.

valjane
03-12-2008, 11:13 AM
They let you in the gates but hold you off in front of Main Street. Shortly before park opening, the train rolls in and there's a little "Welcome" show up on the platform. There are lots of characters in attendance but I don't specifically remember one of them being Mickey Mouse. They seem to rotate different characters through at different times.

Once the show is over, you can go through Main Street, but there's usually an additional delay of a couple of minutes before the various lands open, and you have to wait behind a rope.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
03-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Chip and Dale, Jimminy (sp?) Cricket, Mary Poppins and Bert, Daisy, Donald, Clara Bell... They all opened MK when we were there in Jan early enough to actually see it...lol

Here are my pics from then-- http://www.flickr.com/gp/55707445@N00/842LE2

The from the opening around about 1/3 of the way in or so.

Quasimodo
03-12-2008, 11:20 AM
They also sometimes (maybe always) pick a family from the crowd to participate in the opening.

My DD got to do it AK one time. They put a AK cast member shirt on her and gave her wand or something to wave. Afterwards the CM that chose her gave her a Magical Moments certificate.

DisneyDudet
03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
They no longer do a "rope drop" per se, they walk the rope.

You will be let in, they will have a show on the train station, and I have seen Mickey (and a lot of other characters and a family chosen) open the Magic Kingdom. You will then be allowed to enter Main Street. From there, you can go to the entrance to the land you want. This is where they walk the rope. You cannot pass the CMs at this point, until you reach the attraction you are wanting.

We do this a lot at Epcot for Soarin'. I have managed to get the first fastpasses AND ride B-1 on the first "flight" this way!