PDA

View Full Version : Gum On Planes

PeterPansMagic
03-12-2008, 02:06 AM
I will be flying on Delta. Someone suggested that I chew gum. Do I chew it on the way up, in the air, when Im coming down or all three? Which gum would you suggest I chew?

mrsgaribaldi
03-12-2008, 02:46 AM
We chew Orbit bubble gum on the way up and the way down. I don't think they sell gum in the airport so bring some with you. You cna just swallow alot to pop your ears too.:mickey:

playdead88
03-12-2008, 06:13 AM
if you are worried about ears popping try "ear planes" my dd's ent doc recommended them - you can get them at most pharmacies and they are over the counter - dd had just got her second set of tubes and had soooo many problems with her ears right before our first trip so we used the ear planes and she was the only one who had no issues with popping ears - they were wonderful :mickey:

Von-Drake
03-12-2008, 07:43 AM
I am not a gum chewer, so I just end up doing a lot of swallowing.:beer:

Mommy2boys
03-12-2008, 08:04 AM
On the way up and down. DS whos was 4 at the time was complaining about his ear hurting and gum did the trick.

Tinksalot
03-12-2008, 08:31 AM
It's not really the gum that helps its the swallowing. You can have something to drink with you and it will work well.
(I'm a former flight attendent)

Love of Disney
03-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Any kind of gum will do the trick. I find my ears get most sensitive at take off and landing. Another thing that helps is to do a few fake yawns...it always helps me and the family!! :cool:

poeticeclipse
03-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Any kind of gum will do the trick. I find my ears get most sensitive at take off and landing. Another thing that helps is to do a few fake yawns...it always helps me and the family!! :cool:

Yep! I do lots of yawning on purpose. I'm sure people look at me and think "Wow! She's really tired!"

divinedi
03-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Gum works for sure, or you a hard candy will work, just don't chew it. As some have said, it's the swallowing that does the trick, so anything that will make you swallow a lot will work. And, it's mainly going up and down that's the problem, once you are levelled out in the air, you should be fine.

My DD18 has a lot of trouble with her ears on the plane, and the swallowing doesn't work, I'm going to try the 'ear planes' for her, and see if they work! Thanks for the tip.

laprana
03-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Definitely try Ear Planes! They're great and really work well for me and my family. My sister gets really bad ear problems when she flies - they usually get stopped up and don't open back up fully till a couple of days after we've arrived. We tried Ear Planes 2 summers ago and she had no problems with her ears at all! They were totally clear when she walked off the plane. We've all used them ever since! Have a great trip!! :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
03-12-2008, 12:20 PM
You will experience the pressure differences more on descent than ascent. This is due to the increasing air pressure on the outside of your ear drum compared to the inside. As others have said, its yawning or swallowing that will force air into the tube leading to the inner ear and equalize the pressure.

javamama
03-12-2008, 02:08 PM
First thanks for flying Delta:thumbsup: and any gum works but since I'm partial to Wrigley products I love the new 5 stuff. It lasts flavor wise forever, otherwise I love the Orbit stuff. As a Wrigley stockholder they sent us a ton of the 5 stuff for christmas this year so I love the green/Rain flavor. I also keep a bottle of water w/me, just ask the flight attendant for one during service and keep drink during landing--that's when my ears bug me the most. Have a good flight!