PDA

View Full Version : Say it isn't so....aaaaargh!

Briansmom
03-11-2008, 11:24 PM
I just read the updated list of closings and refurbishments..... omg, the carousel will be closed while we are there.

Our DS9 who has autism lives for carousels and has talked nonstop about it ever since we started telling him we were going to Disney. When I read the new list, I started crying.:sob: How in this world am I going to explain it to him that he won't be able to see, much less ride, his beloved carousel. I am just sick about it....

TwingleMom
03-11-2008, 11:32 PM
OMG!! I'm soo sorry. Maybe you'll luck out and it won't happen. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Beast_fanatic
03-11-2008, 11:34 PM
There's a carousel at Downtown Disney. Maybe that will help soften the blow?

adoptionislove
03-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Isint there a carousel of some sort at Downtown Disney? I think I remember seeing something there sort of like it?

I am so sorry that it will be closed.

Years ago my sister and I went to Disneyland and the ONLY thing we wanted to do was "It's a Small World" and low and behold it was closed. We were so devistated! Still are come to think of it!!!!

Maybe it will be open. One can hope, right?!

Briansmom
03-11-2008, 11:46 PM
There's a carousel at Downtown Disney. Maybe that will help soften the blow?

Where would the carousel in DD be?

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. :grouphug:

Followthatmouse
03-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Oh, no. Cinderella's Carousel is one of my mother's favorites. I'll have to break it to her gently.

Disneyfun
03-12-2008, 03:13 AM
The carousel at DTD is in the marketplace on the far east side - if it truely runs east-west. If I remember, it is near the Pooh store. There is a small cost associated with riding the carousel, but I have no idea how much.

You could tell him that Cinderella was so disappointed that her carousel was in need of repair, that she constructed this one as a small replacement.

Von-Drake
03-12-2008, 07:36 AM
We have a 4 year old Autistic son. His favorite last time was Peter Pan, I could only imagine his disappointment if it were to be unavailable when we we go back.
When something he plays with it broken now, he looks at us and tells us "Pop Pop fix it" (Pop Pop is his granddad, who has CJ convinced he can fix anything.) Hopefully you can find another ride or attraction he really likes and can use as a substitute. Best Wishes.
:pixie:

Main Street Jim
03-12-2008, 07:41 AM
The carousel at DD is between the Pooh store and Disney's Days of Christmas (near Wolfgang Puck Express, Pin Traders, Pooh, Goofy's Candy Co.). It's a small carousel.

tennantsrwe
03-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Sorry to hear your delima. Hopefully if you can take your DS to DTD for that carosel he won't mind as much about the one in MK. I hope it all works out for you all. God Bless. :mickey:

baby minnie's mommy
03-12-2008, 12:33 PM
The carousel at DTD is $2 per person, except one free adult for each small child.
It's a small carousel, kinda like a mini version of the MK one. :mickey: We love to ride it on our last day. If we decide to skip the MK one, we tell DD we can ride the DTD one later. :thumbsup: They also have a little train there, same pricing.

Take cash. You put it in a machine to get a token. :)

wilshade
03-12-2008, 01:07 PM
How about trying the Backstage Magc Tour?

Yeah, it's long and its expensive. But, it will take you back to the Central Shops and it is very likely you will be able to them working on some of the horses. There are usually two or three of them in there for minor touchups and repairs anyway.

I went on that tour in 2005 and we were able to get pretty close to them.

It's just a thought. Maybe it would work and maybe it wouldn't.

Autism is frustrating for parents to deal with and when something that has worked consistently well is suddenly unavailable, it can take a parent's spirit to the breaking point.

Another idea is to go Guest Relations, tell them your situation and give them a chance to work some magic. CMs can be a very creative lot.

Again, maybe they can and maybe they can't. But it might be worth a try. You never know.

Briansmom
03-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Autism is frustrating for parents to deal with and when something that has worked consistently well is suddenly unavailable, it can take a parent's spirit to the breaking point.

Another idea is to go Guest Relations, tell them your situation and give them a chance to work some magic. CMs can be a very creative lot.

We are lucky in the way that this is the first time our sweet little man has been able to go (handle) our magic place, so he doesnt know where exactly the carousel is. It is good to know that there is another one and we will surely take him to see that one.

I had not thought of saying something to a CM...not that I would expect them to be able to magically fix everything, but things I have read on here have me realizing just how wonderful some of them can be, and how they will go out of their way to sprinkle some pixie dust on the guests. I hope that since this is our special DS9's first trip that some of that pixie dust will come our way, for his sake.

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas and support!

CaptSmee
03-12-2008, 10:25 PM
I hope you still have a great time! Definitely visit the carousel at DTD & I would also mention your situation to a CM maybe at City Hall in the MK. Who knows what kind of magic can be worked by Disney?!?