PDA

View Full Version : To take or not to take... Updated/merged

#1disneyfan
03-11-2008, 10:40 PM
my niece with us to WDW? I have never taken an additional person on our vacations before. We do usually meet up with my mom and stepdad since they live in Fl, but never taken anyone. My DD is 12 and my niece is 15. They get along most of the time. We are doing 5 days at WDW and 4 days on the cruise. She will already be in WDW for a wedding so she can make an easy transition over to our hotel and join us for the trip and then fly back with us.

My fear is that they may argue. I have warned them both. My DSIL said it was up to me, and she didn't want the 2 of them to ruin our trip. My DSIL would pay for my DNiece's portion of the trip since we cannot afford to pay for another person. I think it would also be nice for our DD to have someone more her age to "hang out" with, she is an only child.

Any suggestions? Comments?

bouncer
03-11-2008, 10:48 PM
I say go for it. If they start to get on each others nerves maybe they can split up a bit. Niece goes on different ride or back to room depending on where you stay. That may be even easier on the cruise to split up. DN is getting older you may soon run out of chances to do a memorable trip such as this. Have a great time! :thumbsup:

tennantsrwe
03-12-2008, 08:29 AM
I was the only child and usually always took a friend on vacation with us. Sure there were times we argued but it usually wasn't a big deal, that's what friends do...aruge and then get over it, quickly. I liked having someone my age to hang out with, especially since my parents weren't in to all the rides. I think it could be great for your DD and neice. I would just sit the girls down and really discuss things with them. They're old enough to understand your concerns and will be very receptive to making the effort to get along more often than not. Besides, it's kinda hard to stay mad at Disney. :mickey:

BigRedDad
03-12-2008, 08:54 AM
I would take her along. There will be the arguments. The age difference is not drastic and they can do most of the same things. As long as your niece minds you, then there should be no real issues.

I would definitely find out if she wants to do the same things as you. It would not be good to have her miserable because of the likes/wants are drastically different.

Love of Disney
03-12-2008, 09:22 AM
It would probably be great for your DD to have some company. Just set the ground rules out ahead of time!! When I was in my teens my parents did the same thing for me and it worked. Good Luck!!

MarkC
03-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Our last 4 trips we have let one of the kids take a friend. We find that everyone gets along better, and the two cousins will have a lifelog memory to share. Unless there is a history of some big blowups, I would take them. Your niece will undoubtedly appreciate you for it as well. Mark

WriteDisney
03-12-2008, 11:59 AM
I agree with the above posters. I think no matter what company you take to WDW there is a chance of arguing with them, be it family or friends. Just try to plan and set guidelines for them to avoid fights. And it is true.. it's hard to stay mad in disney! :mickey:

Taja
03-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree with everyone!

Just be sure to set the ground rules with everyone present--including your niece's parents--well before leaving for your WDW visit.

How arguemnts will be handled, if niece wants to go off with others closer to her age or not hang with the family, if niece and DD are allowed to separate from adults, what are their responsibilities and repercussions if not met...

You get the idea!

#1disneyfan
03-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Well I went to the travel agent today to find out about adding my niece. Turns out she can't go since the cruise is completely sold out. We are in a category 6 room, but it is a triple not a quad, so there is no room. We were told to check periodically with her for cancellations, but it doesn't look good. Both girls are really bummed out :(!

Thanks for all the great input though, it would have been great for the two of them.

#1disneyfan
03-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks for all your great input! Unfortunately it seems that we will be unable to take her with us.

I went to the Travel agent today and it turns out that the cruise is completely sold out. We only have a triple room, not a quad, so there is not enough room. We were told to check periodically to see if there are any cancellations, but it doesn't look promising. :(

The girls were really looking forward to this and are both really bummed out.

Here's to hoping for a cancellation :(!

Love of Disney
03-12-2008, 04:57 PM
That's too bad :( Hopefully things will work out for you!! :blush:

BluewaterBrad
03-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Bummer. Good luck!:mickey: