PDA

View Full Version : headed to boston and it's going to rain - what do we do? :)

Tink2002
03-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey there,
My boyfriend and I are headed to Boston on Thursday and Friday to visit a friend and just poke around the city. I've never walked the freedom trail in all of the times I've been there, but it's supposed to rain Friday (the full day we'll be there) and I'm thinking that wouldn't be the most enjoyable thing to do. We've just recently been to the science and harvard natural history museums and aquarium... can anyone give me any suggestions of something fun to do in the area on a rainy day? :D

mitchsfan
03-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Went back in 1999 for EASTER WEEKEND to see the Sox vs. the Indians. It rained form tHE moment we left for Boston to the moment we got back. Both games got rained out!

The Kennedy Library isn't that far away. That was really interesting. Have lunch at Cheers. Catch a Celts or Bruins game if they are home. You could tour Fenway if they have a tour that day. It all depends on what you guys like to do.

Scrod
03-11-2008, 11:10 PM
- If you like art there is a brand new Institute of Contemporary Art, Museum of Fine Arts and Gardner museum. Also the Museum of Bad Art (google it).
-There are a bunch of other more offbeat attractions- like the 'top of the hub' at the Hancock building, Robot museum (at MIT), the mapparium (at Christian Science Center) or the Ether dome at Massachusetts General Hospital, site of the first use of anesthesia - also contains a mummy and sarcophagus.
-And there is always food and shops at Faneuil Hall

TexasPrincessAurora
03-11-2008, 11:24 PM
I was going to suggest Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. A neat place to eat, if you're into history, is the Union Oyster House. If you could take the T to some of the historic sites and that would keep you out of the rain. Or take one of the off and on tours that you can get off and historic locations and then hop back on when the next bus comes around.

alphamommy
03-12-2008, 10:13 AM
You get wet!

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for what to do in Boston, but, after reading the title of the post, I just couldn't resist my knee-jerk answer!

Tammy

crazypoohbear
03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Just wear a rain coat and boots and go for it.
Walking Boston is the best way to get anywhere.
Or you could purchase a trolley ticket and ride the freedom trail The orange and brown line is the best IMO.

I would skip Cheers I think it's too over priced and is "just pub food" Besides the original cheers is next to the Boston common not in Faneuil hall.

If it's raining there really isn't any reason to pay to go to the observation deck in the Prudential center - you won't see anything!

Go to the north end and have lunch in one of the Italian restaurants (lunch is MUCH cheaper than dinner)
Then go to Mike's pastry and get something delic.

Faneuil hall is a great place to wander around as well. lots of kiosk stores.

The new hard rock cafe is across the street. ( I'm not impressed with the decor at all, the old place was much better)

Go to one of the MANY Irish pubs nearby, you will be there St. Patty's day weekend after all!!!
The purple shamrock has awesome shepherds pie!
Go shopping at the Copley ( if you want to eat at the Cheese cake factory, put your name in when you get to the place, always a wait there)
or Downtown crossing.
The Museum of Science always has films showing in their IMAX.
Just because it is raining don't let it rain on your parade.
Bring an extra pair of shoes and have fun.

MissStyles
03-12-2008, 10:42 AM
You put on a rain jacket and walk the freedom trail!:rain: No really if it's not downpouring I still think it would be an enjoyable experience. You can take a tour of Fenway Park if you're interested in baseball. You could take the T to Harvard Square and shop, get something to eat. The Garage has a lot of shops and is all inside...going from shop to shop isn't bad in the rain, I've done it so many times. The Cambridgeside Galleria is nice too and you can walk over and catch an IMAX show at the OMNI theater in the Museum of Science. Have fun I wish I were there!

c&d
03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
I would take a Duck Boat tour. They leave from the Museum of Science. You can also spend some time at the Museum. The Alps is showing in the Omni Theater and there's a lizard exhibit going on also.

Also there's the Maporium in the Christian Science Building.

Visit Quincy Market and grab a bite to eat.

LauraF
03-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Welcome to Boston!
You can just keep going or you can hide from the rain - it's up to you.

A couple of suggestions:
Go to Fanueil Hall/Qunicy Market and look at all the nifty shops.
Then walk to the North End for lunch (do not eat at the Regina's in Fanueil - walk insetad to the real thing - it's worth the wait) and get something yummy at Mike's Pastry (Maybe stop into the Old North Church while in the area). You're also not too far from the Aquarium which is really fun to do on rainy days.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Or you could purchase a trolley ticket and ride the freedom trail The orange and brown line is the best IMO.

It's actually the Orange & Green trolley and you can get on and off all day on this one. It's a lot of fun.
Hopefully you had fun since it didn't really rain today.

Tink2002
03-15-2008, 03:47 PM
thanks everyone, we did end up hanging around the copley and ate at the cheesecake factory, very very good!!!

We also walked out bums off around the freedom trail area and hung around quincy market for quite a while, too. (I was happy to see a crocs store where I purchased some very cute little sandals for disney this summer!)

AND it didn't rain! yay! I had the fold up umbrella in my bag but was certainly happy to not have to use it.:thumbsup: