PDA

View Full Version : Ticketing / Dining Plan Issue

mrfullwm
03-11-2008, 12:39 PM
A little background on my problem...

I secured 5 day park hopper tickets by using my credit card's rewards program so I didn't purchase them at the time I made my accommodations reservation through Disney. I want to add the Dining plan for my girlfriend and I for the duration of our trip (6 nights) in April.

I called Disney this afternoon and was told that in order to add the Dining Plan for each of us I would have to modify my room reservation to make it part of a Magic Your Way package and include a 1 day base ticket ($75) for each of us. Once that was done I could add the Dining Plan.

Does anyone see any other way around this or am I out of luck since I didn't reserve the room and park tickets together? Thanks in advance for your help!

:mickey:

offwego
03-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Welcome to Intercot!!

A few more questions and some answers if that's ok.

Are you staying for more then 5 days? If so you can use the rewards purchased cards to redeem against the amount required to purchase 6 day park hoppers at the resort on your arrival to have one ticket for the trip.

In order to have the dining you must have at least one day park tickets (hopping is not required) for each member of your party. However you do not need to use this ticket at the park to use your dining options. (In other words the ticket does not need to be used at the turnstile just presented in the restaurant).

If you don't use the ticket it will not expire at the end of your trip and can be used on your next one for park admitance (or redeemed against a purchase of an AP or other ticket in person only).

There is no way to add dining to tickets purchased outside of a room transaction, and I don't believe you can add dining at the resort arrival time either. But perhaps someone else can confirm that bit.

mrfullwm
03-11-2008, 01:26 PM
We're staying 6 nights (6th - 12th) but we'll only be in the park for 5 days (Mon - Fri).

I'm still a little confused about what I can do to add the dining plan. Do I have to go through the entire process of modifying my accommodation reservation and buy the 1 day ticket that way? Or can I buy the 1 day ticket for each of us and add the dining option but leave the resort accommodation as is?

Assuming this is the only option I'm not sure how much we'd be saving if we have to spend an extra $140 on two one day tickets.

Thanks for your help!

offwego
03-11-2008, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=mrfullwm;1571985
I'm still a little confused about what I can do to add the dining plan. Do I have to go through the entire process of modifying my accommodation reservation and buy the 1 day ticket that way? Or can I buy the 1 day ticket for each of us and add the dining option but leave the resort accommodation as is?

Assuming this is the only option I'm not sure how much we'd be saving if we have to spend an extra $140 on two one day tickets.

Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

You will have to modify your resort reservation from a room only to a package to include the one day ticket & dining. (however this doesn't mean you can't stay at your same resort and can be done on the phone) Looked at the FAQ's under the plan in dining and it must be purchased 10 days prior to your arrival..you may want to look at that area to see if it answers any of your questions.

I'm not sure (with the tip and appetizer removed) if you can save the price of the tickets either..but they will still be valid for future use so if this is not a one time trip that money could be recaptured on the next trip.

onjbj
03-11-2008, 02:26 PM
This brings up a question for me.... I have 7 days left on a non-expiring ticket but am going to WDW w/DDP in August so I bought one day tickets. The one day tickets don't expire at the end of my trip? I can just hold onto them if I want and use them next time?

Thanks-

offwego
03-11-2008, 02:46 PM
This brings up a question for me.... I have 7 days left on a non-expiring ticket but am going to WDW w/DDP in August so I bought one day tickets. The one day tickets don't expire at the end of my trip? I can just hold onto them if I want and use them next time?

Thanks-

As long as you don't use them they don't start the "14 days from first use" so yes they would still be fine on another trip.

FaithTrustPixieDust
03-11-2008, 04:04 PM
I am wrestling with this same issue. Whether you use that one day pass now or in a future trip, it still feels like a $75 additional expense.

I've run the numbers for my family, and I think it will still save us about $30 per day /per person by buying a 7 or 10 day pass from an outside vendor. (this will last us at least 2 vacations) It makes the ticket price drop down to $45-$50 a day for a park hopper. So even if we have to buy a $75 base ticket to get the dining plan . . . I see it as an additional $25 expense rather than a $75 expense. ($25 more than my average ticket price, that is.)

offwego
03-11-2008, 04:07 PM
I am wrestling with this same issue. Whether you use that one day pass now or in a future trip, it still feels like a $75 additional expense.

I've run the numbers for my family, and I think it will still save us about $30 per day /per person by buying a 7 or 10 day pass from an outside vendor. (this will last us at least 2 vacations) It makes the ticket price drop down to $45-$50 a day for a park hopper. So even if we have to buy a $75 base ticket to get the dining plan . . . I see it as an additional $25 expense rather than a $75 expense. ($25 more than my average ticket price, that is.)
Make sure you pricing that with a no expire option. otherwise you may find the ticket price changes the math. (Most tickets are sold without this feature as it is an add on similiar to park hopping)

I do understand what your all saying about the "extra expense" we had to do that for our last trip for the exact same reason as the OP (free ticket from rewards program) for DS..however we knew we'd be back so just banked it for the next trip.