PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on FoodTV...

JanetMegan
03-11-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm adddicted to the Food Network, I openly admit it. I love Paula Deen, I used to love Rachael Ray, now I'm more of a Tyler Florence fan, you know, stuff like that. Here's my thoughts though, how come none of the newer shows seem any good-or is it just me?

I have been a fan of the Next Food Network Star, yet I don't feel that show has produced any real ounce of talent or a good show. (Although I admit I perfer Guy Fieri on Diners, Driveins and Dives over his own show.) But that Party Line with the Hearty Boys-ick. That newest chick-whose name I forget who left her kids to have her own show...that show is not so good.

Also some of the other newer programming I feel has been pretty rough-Jamie Oliver's new show just isn't doing much for me, the Neelys are over the top (although some of the recipes have been good), that Recipe Showdown is just plain bad bad.

What has happened to my favorite network? Comments?

tennantsrwe
03-11-2008, 08:07 AM
I, too, am a Food Network fan and the only newer show I like is the one with Duff...Charm City Cakes. Other than that I like Iron Chef, the Challenge series, Next Food Network Star and Diners, Drive Ins & Dives. I don't know why I haven't really been able to get in to the newer shows either. I agree that some of them are a little 'off.' I caught a few minutes of the Neely's and thought it was too over the top, almost verging on being corny. Haven't tried a recipe b/c I can't watch it, lol. I don't know why the network is going in another direction....I wish they'd UTURN though. :mickey:

offwego
03-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Funny we get in Canada some US programming some brit programming and then some Canadian as well.

I like the Nigella stuff, Giada & some Paula Dean (mostly cause she's sweet but I can't say I've cooked any of it).

Iron Chef is good, but I agree on that "party boy thing" yuck.

What I find (here) is the overprogramming of a show with few episodes..I do agree that some of it seems to forget it's not just a personality we want but also a decent food approach.

murphy1
03-11-2008, 08:46 AM
I agree and I also find myself not watching HGTV lately as much as I used to. I do like the FN specials like the challenges (Cake, Disney), but it seems like they just want to get the next star who can sell cookware or books out there. I just read Paula's autobio. book she did a couple years ago and it was funny and good.

TheDuckRocks
03-11-2008, 11:49 AM
I love Paula,
can't stand Racheal,
really like Guy's Dives,
completely disappointed with the Neely's new show (they were great on Paula's Party),
enjoy Giada,
wish Sandra Lee would knock off all the booze (is it really needed for a kids B-day party?),
miss Sara Moulton,
will be missing Emerile's live show,
wish they would get some new contestants for the cake challenges,
bored silly by Ina Garten barefoot or not,
if Amy from Network Stars has a show I wouldn't know - didn't like her enough to tune in if she does,
...........well I guess that's it. Just my thoughts.

PirateLover
03-11-2008, 12:24 PM
I haven't seen some of the shows you are mentioning yet. I don't cook too much right now, although I like to. I'm still living at home and while I'm a picky eater, my family is even less adventurous so when I finally move in with my fiance, I'll probably start cooking a lot more.

But I love all the "reality" style programming and non-recipe shows if you know what I mean. Love love love Diners Drive-ins and Dives, Ace of Cakes, all the challenge shows, Unwrapped, Next Food Network Star, Throwdown w/ Bobby Flay... stuff in that vein.

I do not like Rachel Ray, and actually I don't really like Alton Brown either, I find him kind of annoying. I do like Giada and Paula and have tried some of their recipes from the Food Network website and they are great.

ChipnDaleGal
03-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Love love love Diners Drive-ins and Dives, Ace of Cakes, all the challenge shows, Unwrapped, Next Food Network Star, Throwdown w/ Bobby Flay... stuff in that vein.

Those are the shows we love to watch as well. And we enjoy that new one on Sunday with the three rounds of recipe challenges.

Disneypixie513
03-11-2008, 01:18 PM
I like watching the Food Network too!
I don't really watch that many shows though. The only ones i watch regularly are Good Eats( my all time favorite!) and Diners,Drive-ins, and Dives. I watch Everyday Italian and 30 minute meals if there's nothing else better to watch.
But i can't stand Emeril..Something about him i just don't like.

JanetMegan
03-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Those are the shows we love to watch as well. And we enjoy that new one on Sunday with the three rounds of recipe challenges.

Now see I think it's funny almost everyone is kind of opposite of me, I like the actual cooking shows, the instructional ones and I can't stand all the competition shows.

Scar
03-11-2008, 01:58 PM
I like to watch Giada. I'm not sure what she makes but ... ;)

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-11-2008, 02:42 PM
I always watch Boy Meets Grill, Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Iron Chef America, Jamie at Home, Dinner Impossible and Feasting on Asphalt (when it's on). I think it's so funny how Jamie refers to food as Mister....Broccoli or whatever it is.

I want to see that new show with Danny Boome and I don't really care to watch the Neely's show. They used to have BBQ at the Sommet Center (where the Nashville Predators play) and it was just okay. Southern food really isn't my favorite.

Dracula766
03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
I can watch GOOD EATS for hours at a time :thumbsup:

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-12-2008, 01:14 AM
I can watch GOOD EATS for hours at a time :thumbsup:

I just love Alton Brown. He is so entertaining. I really hope he does another Feasting on Asphalt.

disneydrmr
03-12-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm a Food Network junkie... I LOVE Paula Deen.. have made numerous of her recipes and LOVE them all! I like Giada and Bobby Flay. Love to watch the Throwdowns...Dh and I love to watch Iron Chef... and I enjoy Unwrapped. When I"m home sick or 'bored' I turn on Food Network and 'veg' in front of the tv watching...I do agree with the Party Boys - don't like them at all. And I've never seen that Amy's show - can't seem to catch it so not sure about her. Also love Dinner Impossible.. it's a shame what happened with him. Wonder if they will find a new 'host' for this show or just let it die out?

offwego
03-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Also love Dinner Impossible.. it's a shame what happened with him. Wonder if they will find a new 'host' for this show or just let it die out?
What happened? We get most of these shows a year or so behind & I'm just starting to get into it.

JanetMegan
03-12-2008, 10:38 AM
What happened? We get most of these shows a year or so behind & I'm just starting to get into it.

Well from what I hear they found out he had lied on his resume about both his expierences and background so they are canning him. They said they will continue to show the episodes that have already filmed, they just aren't re-newing his contract.

As an aside I think it's crazy famous people think they can lie about stuff like that and get away with it. He claimed he had worked for Princess Diana and he was some kind of count or something and owned a castle.

disneydrmr
03-12-2008, 10:59 AM

Well from what I hear they found out he had lied on his resume about both his expierences and background so they are canning him. They said they will continue to show the episodes that have already filmed, they just aren't re-newing his contract.

As an aside I think it's crazy famous people think they can lie about stuff like that and get away with it. He claimed he had worked for Princess Diana and he was some kind of count or something and owned a castle.

Nat - I just saw your request in JQ to come here to answer your question - but Janet beat me to it! Thanks Janet! So I guess to answer your question Nat - "What Janet said"... :D

To clarify further... none of what went on with his resume issues 'affect' the show.. as in .. what you see on the show is still real.. he's still doing the cooking and such and meeting the mission/challenge... I really do hope they find someone else to 'host' the show... I really enjoy watching.

offwego
03-12-2008, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=disneydrmr;To clarify further... none of what went on with his resume issues 'affect' the show.. as in .. what you see on the show is still real.. he's still doing the cooking and such and meeting the mission/challenge... I really do hope they find someone else to 'host' the show... I really enjoy watching.[/QUOTE]
How silly is this? Why would someone not think once your out in the public that this won't show up.

murphy1
03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I was looking forward to going to Irvine's restaurant in St. Pete next time I was there if they opened. They need a few more nice places to eat, it's a nice area where he was going in near the Pier.

tinkerbell04
03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
I LOVE the food network, I really like Iron Chef America, Diners Dives and Drive Ins, Rachel and Giada and Paula, Throwdowns and of course Ace Of Cakes since it is based here in Baltimore where I live. :)

wdwgrl377
03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
I absolutely LOVE Paula Deen! Her voice and southern accent sounds just like my Momma! :D

I like Jamie & Bobby's "Road Tasted" shows and I love Tyler Florence. I also like Rachael Ray, although some of my friends think she's so annoying? Idk, I don't think she is to me, but I like to watch 30 Minute Meals b/c she has tons of meals I can fix for myself.

Diners, Drive-in & Dives are really cool to watch as well. I like to go to Diners too. I like Robin Miller too!
I wonder if they will ever bring back the Next Foodnetwork star?