PDA

View Full Version : Pixar Play Parade Debuts 3/14

Carol
03-11-2008, 07:50 AM
PIXAR PLAY PARADE’ WILL BRING BUBBLING INTERACTIVE FUN TO DISNEY’S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE BEGINNING MARCH 14, 2008

ANAHEIM, Calif. – March 14, 2008 - All the exciting and colorful worlds of the Disney•Pixar pals – from “Toy Story,” “a bug’s life,” “Monsters, Inc.,” “Finding Nemo,” “The Incredibles,” “Cars” and “Ratatouille” – will come to life in the all-new “Pixar Play Parade,” debuting March 14, 2008, in Disney’s California Adventure as part of the Year of a Million Dreams celebration at Disneyland Resort.

Characters from every Disney•Pixar motion picture will appear in the magical immersive parade, which will invite guests of all ages to take part in the playfulness of a whirling, spinning, fun-for-all animated playground. The parade features acrobatics, bungees, high-energy choreography, interactive surprises and lively bubble and water effects.

“Pixar Play Parade” features a dozen parade floats up to two stories tall, themed to Disney•Pixar movies and equipped with fun and surprising movement and effects. The cast and crew number more than 100, and behind the scenes is a creative team of top entertainment professionals including Emmy-nominated director Fred Tallaksen (a choreographer for Madonna and numerous television and stage productions), puppet designer Michael Curry (of “The Lion King” on Broadway), costume designer Mirena Rada (“Avenue Q”) and composers Matthew Girard and Robbie Nevil (“High School Musical”).

Girard and Nevil composed brand new tunes for Pixar Play Parade, including the “Countdown To Fun!” theme, which brings the show to life as it travels through Disney’s California Adventure.

Encouraging everyone to dance, play and clap along, Mike, Sulley and their monster buddies from “Monsters, Inc.” will lead the procession. Even sourpuss Roz will put in an appearance – and what an appearance! She’ll be the drum major, slithering her way down the parade route.

Next up is a flowerbed of hopping, swinging bugs: the colony from “a bug’s life.” Then “The Incredibles” will zoom into view, superhero style, aboard amazing hovercrafts. But watch out! The sinister Omnidroid is on the loose and baby Jack-Jack could burst into flames at any moment!

From there it’s into the bubbling world of Dory, Marlin, Crush, Bloat and the colorful underwater friends from “Finding Nemo,” who invite everyone to “play in schools” (schools of fish, that is). “Ratatouille’s” Remy and Emile are serving up fun, too, turning their kitchen into a super soapy pool of creativity with kids and families as the main ingredients.

Woody and the “Toy Story” gang arrive next to encourage guests to kick up their heels, while Buzz Lightyear and the Little Green Aliens celebrate just how “universal” play can be, in any galaxy. Finally, after the parade has been revving up guests throughout the route, lovable Mater and his flashy buddy Lightning McQueen from “Cars” will bring up the rear.

Melanie
03-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Woohoo - thanks for the details, Carol. Sounds like a lot of fun, and almost as high energy as Block Party Bash. Michael and I were just discussing the other day how there was a lack of info on this parade. I'm anxious to hear first hand accounts after the show debuts.

MegaDisney
03-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the scoop! I can't wait to see it in person, cuz the photos aren't all that exciting. Although the Jack Jack that shoots fire from his head is pretty cool. I hope the music is fun.

NotaGeek
03-11-2008, 06:10 PM
I can't wait to see this parade ... :mickey: but I think it might be the parade snack food that helps add to the excitement!

Melanie
03-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Although the Jack Jack that shoots fire from his head is pretty cool. I hope the music is fun.

Oh my! hahahahaha!!!

Yes, music can make a huge difference.

BrerGnat
03-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Hmmm...this Friday? I might check it out with the boys.

If I do, I'll take pictures and provide a first hand account of what I thought of it.

Mufasa
03-12-2008, 08:36 AM
The new Pixar Play Parade has been in soft-opening/public previews already this week- it is a very colorful, dynamic and kinetic parade and different from Block Party Bash.

All of the motion on the parade floats really stand out- take some of the impressive floats from a parade like the Parade of Dreams (like the float that features the bungie-cord toy soldiers) and expand that sort of movement to the majority of the floats in this parade and that will give you a good sense of what to expect.

You won't find the elaborate show stops that Block Party Bash had with the party zones or at least they weren't featured in the public preview although I believe they have practiced the parade with possible show stops but I'm not sure how they will be integrated into the final show.

It is more like a traditional parade, but the parade floats and vehicles like the hovercraft type of pods for the Incredibles really are impressive and the show is full of a lot of energy- especially some of the acrobatics and a good sign of what to expect with future parades and entertainment on the way for the resort.

Jack-Jack is a neat sight, especially when he's shooting some tall flames out the top of his head.

In the summertime, there's the possibility you may get pretty wet- enough to the point where trailing the end of the parade are custodial CMs with mops in hand to wipe up the excess water/foam that might be left behind on the street. (the block party style zones have been replaced with splash zones that are unpredictable along the entire route of the parade).

Then the Ratatouille float- well, it appropriately has a bit of a European feel to it- shooting foam bubbles into the crowd like those crazy Ibiza foam parties but without the thumping euro/techno dance beat.

The music is very upbeat- you can tell there's a high school musical influence on the main theme, but they also work in an uptempo take on "you've got a friend in me" from Toy Story and other bits into the parade soundtrack.

The parade goes by quickly though- seems like it's a pretty short parade, maybe because of the lack of the show stops that were a part of Block Party Bash.

Melanie
03-12-2008, 08:45 AM
You know, the more I think about it, the more I don't like the name of this parade. Or maybe I just don't get it. :confused:

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
03-12-2008, 08:58 PM
I agree. The name doesn't make me want to hop in my car and go see it Mel.

Carol
03-17-2008, 08:00 AM
I'd like to see it next month - but it runs at 5:15. Not sure I can get there at that time. :unsure:

christna03
04-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I can't wait to get to see the parade. I'll be in DL at the beginning on May for the first time so everything is exciting for me to see!! :party:

cora
04-03-2008, 09:13 AM
We were just at Disneyland (March 16-23), & were disappointed that the Pixar Parade was cancelled the 3 days we tried to see it (Thurs, Fri, Sat).
--cora

NotaGeek
05-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Ok, so I saw the parade back in March ... and I really loved it! The crowd seemed to really like it, but there IS water involved. It was really chilly the day I saw it, so the water wasn't really great. Even the kids weren't into the water so much ... but the parade rocked. The big floats shoot water, the people shoot water, but it is supposed to be toned down for the cooler months. This parade is going to be VERY popular when it's warm!

NotaGeek
05-11-2008, 01:16 AM
More pics...

NotaGeek
05-11-2008, 01:17 AM
Continued...

NotaGeek
05-11-2008, 01:22 AM
And more...

NotaGeek
05-11-2008, 01:24 AM
last set...

Melanie
05-11-2008, 01:51 AM
OMG - did Roz pose just for you? She must remember you from the Monsters, Inc. ride. :D

Great pics! The parade looks very fun, and I can't wait to see it. Those hover things the Incredibles are on look cool!

NotaGeek
05-11-2008, 02:47 AM
OMG - did Roz pose just for you? She must remember you from the Monsters, Inc. ride. :D

Great pics! The parade looks very fun, and I can't wait to see it. Those hover things the Incredibles are on look cool!

YES! She came RIGHT up to me and said "Hello young man ..." I tell you, she loves me.

The hover crafts were my favorite thing, besides the dog from Toy Story. It was SO cute at the end of the parade.

Blue Genie
05-11-2008, 10:36 AM
I've seen this Parade and I didn't like it at all. Alot of people I have talk to don't like it as well. I almost got my eye poke out from the water they shot out at us. It was also to cold for it to have water coming out. The song was boarding and what I have hear there has been alot of problems with this parade. So I give this parade a 1 out of 5.