PDA

View Full Version : Lenght of Stay and Waitlist

pluto 77
03-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Does the length of your stay affect the chances of getting your waitlist? As an example are you more likely to get into your waitlisted resort if you are staying for a shorter period of time? We are currently waitlisted for a 10 nnight stay and I am starting to feel that due to the lenght we will not be able get any of our waitlisted resorts. :(

Aurora
03-11-2008, 12:51 AM
I couldn't tell you for sure but it would seem to me your chances of getting your waitlist choice would depend on the season as well as how many days you were staying. Obviously holiday periods will be harder to get.

Our waitlist came through for BWV for early summer (June 9-15) and we are staying for seven nights. We booked SSR in February (home resort) and went on a waitlist for BWV and BCV. We got BWV within weeks. I wasn't optimistic but it did happen.

lockedoutlogic
03-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Some of the DVC people suggest that you go on the waitlists on a day by day basis...i.e. switching over to your choice as each day becomes available....

that has worked well in the past...apparently....but it seems a little high maintenance for most people's tastes....

I would experiment with it....as the entire dynamic of waitlists is changing by the day as they continue to pump more people into the system for a finite number of rooms

Maleficent's Dad
03-11-2008, 11:17 AM
The length of stay can affect your chances for the waitlist. I'll attempt to explain...

Let's say you want a studio at the BWV from Saturday to Saturday.

They might have Saturday - Monday available, and then Thursday - the following Saturday available; you'd then have to decide if you want to "waitlist" for Tuesday and Wednesday nights. A very risky proposition. If that waitlist doesn't come through, you'd have to "move" from the BW for two nights, and then back to the BW. However, if it does come through, you're all set. It's a gamble in this scenario.

The waitlist used to be a good thing; now it's much more of a risk with the growing numbers in DVC membership.

The more nights you want at a more "desirable resort," the better the chances are that someone else has already locked up those accomodations. The hardest resorts to get into are BCV, VWL, and BWV in my experiences. The BCV and VWL are smaller in terms of the number of rooms available - plus the location. The BW has a great location. Thus, more people want to stay there.

Some of the DVC people suggest that you go on the waitlists on a day by day basis...i.e. switching over to your choice as each day becomes available....

that has worked well in the past...apparently....but it seems a little high maintenance for most people's tastes....

I would experiment with it....as the entire dynamic of waitlists is changing by the day as they continue to pump more people into the system for a finite number of rooms
I completely agree with this assessment - there are only so many rooms available at the more desired resorts - and with more and more people competing for these locations, it's tougher and tougher to get in.

There really is no perfect solution. Disney has sold DVC on the premise that you can stay at any of their DVC resorts on points - and whereas that used to be the case, it's becoming more and more difficult to get into some of their resorts.

The good news is that you can usually get into SSR or OKW - two very fine resorts. You just may not be able to get into what would be your first choice.

By experimenting, you'll find out for yourself if the waitlist works. You may also find yourself moving from one resort to another - which is not the worst thing in the world, although some people want to "stay put" where they first unpack.

lockedoutlogic
03-11-2008, 08:56 PM
The length of stay can affect your chances for the waitlist. I'll attempt to explain...

Let's say you want a studio at the BWV from Saturday to Saturday.

They might have Saturday - Monday available, and then Thursday - the following Saturday available; you'd then have to decide if you want to "waitlist" for Tuesday and Wednesday nights. A very risky proposition. If that waitlist doesn't come through, you'd have to "move" from the BW for two nights, and then back to the BW. However, if it does come through, you're all set. It's a gamble in this scenario.

The waitlist used to be a good thing; now it's much more of a risk with the growing numbers in DVC membership.

The more nights you want at a more "desirable resort," the better the chances are that someone else has already locked up those accomodations. The hardest resorts to get into are BCV, VWL, and BWV in my experiences. The BCV and VWL are smaller in terms of the number of rooms available - plus the location. The BW has a great location. Thus, more people want to stay there.

I completely agree with this assessment - there are only so many rooms available at the more desired resorts - and with more and more people competing for these locations, it's tougher and tougher to get in.

There really is no perfect solution. Disney has sold DVC on the premise that you can stay at any of their DVC resorts on points - and whereas that used to be the case, it's becoming more and more difficult to get into some of their resorts.

The good news is that you can usually get into SSR or OKW - two very fine resorts. You just may not be able to get into what would be your first choice.

By experimenting, you'll find out for yourself if the waitlist works. You may also find yourself moving from one resort to another - which is not the worst thing in the world, although some people want to "stay put" where they first unpack.

I agree with your assessment....

I would also like to add that i think that OKW and SSR...particulary Saratoga.....are now the "Default" locations....

people are "alright....i'll take it...put me on the waitlist"...with these two

In this...OKW is a more attractive option....because you get pretty much the same as Saratoga.....but saratoga is inexplicably more expensive

I do think this will change in the next two years....hopefully freeing up some other space

AKL....when the new building is complete....will almost always be available....mark that down....

they will not have demand to fill 500 units over there

hopefully....when the logistical nightmare contemporary tower opens....that will pull some people from Wilderness lodge...in particular....but hopefully beach and boardwalk as well....

of course.....more units....more sales.....hopefully the california and hawaii units will not add to burden on the WDW locations....which is probably not going to happen

I fully expect GF and Poly to open wings within 10 years....also.....the Four Seasons allows this....

and if they continue to sell like wildfire....they will most likely build and entirely new location as well....perhaps one of the open tracts that had been slated for hotels on the seven seas lagoon back in the early days of WDW....

fun times....lots of profits...yeah, disney

(i am interested in seeing what they do during the likely impending recession....i'm guessing resales flooding the market and sales stagnating at the "less" desirable location availabe)