PDA

View Full Version : Considering DVC: a few questions

DisneyFan1979
03-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi DVC Members,

We just returned from a WDW trip and heard the sales pitch for DVC at Saratoga Springs. At its basic level, we think we'd like DVC as we travel to Disney every year, always stay at a deluxe resort, and would enjoy the extra space of a 1BR villa. But, we have a few questions that I was hoping some current DVC members might be able to answer:

1) If we plan to primarily vacation in off-season, such as January and early December, realistically how early will we need to make our reservations?

2) Do you need/is it a good idea to buy insurance for the property?

3) Are there any hidden costs? Other than annual dues, can DVC charge members special assesssments such as fees for capital expenditures? Like when condo owners that get charged a onetime assessment to fix the roof of their building? It's possible that there haven't been any need for such an assessment yet as the resorts are still quite new, but I'm trying to think long-term.

4) Was there anything you wished they had made clear at the sales pitch that you were later surprised by when you read the contract and deed or actually started vacationing as a DVC member?

Thank you in advance. We're trying to make a quick decision to get the extra points for booking within a certain number of days after our trip.

dolphinmickey9170
03-10-2008, 10:38 PM
1) If we plan to primarily vacation in off-season, such as January and early December, realistically how early will we need to make our reservations?

We book at the 11 month mark for our home resort. We have booked in as little as 3 months at SSR. It is a very large resort. But I would recommend the earlier the better. Especially if you wish to request Congress Park. That is our favorite area as you get a fabulous view of DtD.

We have not, but I'm sure someone else might have a different opinion.

3) Are there any hidden costs? Other than annual dues, can DVC charge members special assesssments such as fees for capital expenditures? Like when condo owners that get charged a onetime assessment to fix the roof of their building? It's possible that there haven't been any need for such an assessment yet as the resorts are still quite new, but I'm trying to think long-term.

Not that I am aware of, but we have only been owners for 2 years. I'm sure someone with a longer history would be better suited to answer that question.

4) Was there anything you wished they had made clear at the sales pitch that you were later surprised by when you read the contract and deed or actually started vacationing as a DVC member?

Everything was spelled out from the beginning. Our tour actually took about 4 hours. We had a lot of questions and every one of them were answered. NO pressure, just answers. We signed right then and there.

I hope this has helped.

mook3y
03-11-2008, 12:49 AM
We are relatively new owners and have only vacationed on DVC points once.

1) We primarily vacation off season. We have no desire to fight huge crowds on our vacation.
Last year we booked BWV 5 months out for September and got a 2 bedroom suite (took friends) no problem.

2) No insurance, not really concerned about - maybe someone out there might change my mind.

3) We have not seen any hidden costs. They are very up front about everything.

4) everything was very clear.

Here is how we look at DVC. We know that we will take vacations at Disney for the rest of our lives. DVC allows us to stay at deluxe resorts for moderate prices.

The only downside (if you can call it that) is that we really enjoy spending time at the resorts and spend a little less time in the parks. :D

Maleficent's Dad
03-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Early December would require making ressies at the 11 month mark for your home resort, and then waitlisting at 7 months if you want a different resort. It's about the most popular time of the year for DVC members to travel (between Thanksgiving and Christmas).

Traditionally, it's not usually needed. There are some exceptions.
Will you be travelling with someone who may have health concerns? (If you have to cancel last minute, you don't want to lose your points.)
Also, we DO buy the insurance if we travel during hurricane season - you could very easily lose a day or more if a hurricane hits and you're travelling at that time. Flights around the US get all messed up when hurricanes hit the southeast in August...

3) Are there any hidden costs?
None that I'm aware of and none that I've heard of. I'll have to re-read the contract about special assessments...

The only thing that comes to mind would be the increasing difficulty in getting into non-home resorts. The waitlist, once a sure thing, has become less and less reliable. Of course, I don't believe even they could foresee the increased numbers that they've had...
Other than that, they were upfront and honest about everything.

rsumrall
03-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't have years of experience with DVC, as we only joined in May 2007. However, our experience up to this point has been wonderful. From your post, your outlook and position sounds an aweful lot like ours. We knew we would be going annually to the World and we enjoy the nicer accomodations. Given that, DVC has saved us money and provided us with a wonderful experience. I can't wait for our upcoming 10 days there in May-June!

Donald A
03-15-2008, 06:14 PM

I went in earlier Jan. 08. We got our reservations at the 11 month window (SSR) and switched to the Beach Club at the 7 month window. We got two 2-bedroom villas at a high demand resort but probably would not have if we waited much longer. I imagine at some of the lower demand resorts like SSR you could probably get in on very short notice.

I did not use it but looked at it. The reimbursement for the points seemed low to me. If you are staying at a DVC resort with points I figure me or someone could use them from the holding account should something "bad" happen.

The contract reads that the most dues can increase is 15% a year. This is still a lot if they do it every year, but at least it lets you know what can potentially happen. (Hasn't yet I don't think). The only way dues can increase more (according to the contract) is if the Florida Legislature or some governing body would pass a property tax increase.

Not really. I mean they answer all your questions and really didn't say anything or try to hide anything.

lockedoutlogic
03-15-2008, 06:53 PM
i just noticed the original post....

"we plan to vacation in the offseason - january/early december"

while january is typically good....early december is not an offseason for vacation club.....

for some reason the vacation clubbers are now going heavily in that window and it's getting harder to get anything....no chance really at Wilderness lodge, beach club, and boardwalk....

just an fyi

wendy*darling
03-15-2008, 08:18 PM
for some reason the vacation clubbers are now going heavily in that window and it's getting harder to get anything....no chance really at Wilderness lodge, beach club, and boardwalk....

just an fyi
Early December is THE most popular time for DVC members. Great weather, low points needed, DVC Annual meetings take place then, Christmas decorations are up.

Yes- you would need to book right at 11 months for this time period.

Just checking- did you mean "property" insurance? or Trip insurance?
You do not need to buy property insurance.
Everyone has answered you in terms of "trip insurance" and I agree- it depends on when you are traveling, health concerns, etc. as to whether you would find this necessary or not.