PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West

McGoofy
03-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I am looking for some opinions of Old Key West. I ran a search because I didn't want to post a question that had been posted a million times before, but I couldn't find any discussions regarding Old Key West. I have a friend that is letting me buy her DVC points, and we are going to stay there in May. I was kind of bummed because we were trying to get Beach Club Villas, but that was all booked already. Our only options were OKW or SSR. I chose OKW because the price with her points ended up being the same amount as what I was going to pay for a 5 night reservation at POR with the AAA discount. We will have a one room studio at OKW. Are the rooms nice? The pool is a biggie with us. What do you think about the feature pool? Tell me any pros or cons that you can think of. If anybody has stayed at OKW and SSR, can you tell me which did you like better and why? Thanks!:mickey:

disneylovinmom
03-10-2008, 09:06 PM
We enjoyed OKW very much when we stayed in December '07. We had a one bedroom villa, though. The resort is lovely and quiet. The room we had was very nice, clean and spacious. It was wonderful. You can take a boat to Downtown Disney from the resort. There are several pools, tennis courts, and other activities. We did not use the pools because it was a little cold, but we did walk around and check it out. The main pool area looked very fun. I believe you will not be dissappointed. The only thing we had an issue with, which was a very small issue, was that the bus stopped at the hospitality house last and we had to ride all around the resort before we reached our stop since we were in building 11. But that was so minor, it didn't ruin our trip or anything. When you can get more for your money , that is the way to go.:thumbsup:

McGoofy
03-10-2008, 11:36 PM
We enjoyed OKW very much when we stayed in December '07. We had a one bedroom villa, though. The resort is lovely and quiet. The room we had was very nice, clean and spacious. It was wonderful. You can take a boat to Downtown Disney from the resort. There are several pools, tennis courts, and other activities. We did not use the pools because it was a little cold, but we did walk around and check it out. The main pool area looked very fun. I believe you will not be dissappointed. The only thing we had an issue with, which was a very small issue, was that the bus stopped at the hospitality house last and we had to ride all around the resort before we reached our stop since we were in building 11. But that was so minor, it didn't ruin our trip or anything. When you can get more for your money , that is the way to go.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the boats that go to DTD are the same boats that go to and from POR and FQ as well? Just wondering because my DH and I really want to go to the lounge at POR one night while we are there so we can catch Bob Jackson (the crazy piano player) perform. Also, what locations would you recommend regarding the bus stop? We also want to be convenient to the main pool. We're getting a one room studio, so I don't know if that makes a difference in where our location will have to be.

Luthien Tinuviel
03-11-2008, 01:29 AM
Hi,
I really liked Old Key West. It seemed very quiet and sort of secluded from the rest of Disney World. Maybe it was just the time of year that we were there, but it seemed that layout and design of the resort gave it a very relaxed and uncrowded feel. On a side note, I really enjoyed the fact that there was a washer and dryer in the room as I was a college student at the time and arrived at Disney World with a suitcase full of dirty clothes!

sloslo
03-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Never stayed in OKW but for the past two years, stayed in the SSR, one bedroom villa. My DW and DD love the hotel as do I. Boat rides to DTD, Artists Palette for breakfast and a great zero entry pool. Would stay there every year!

Maleficent's Dad
03-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Do you know if the boats that go to DTD are the same boats that go to and from POR and FQ as well?
No they are not. OKW shares a boat with SSR. You could take the boat to DTD from OKW, then wait for the PO launch to head there.

Also, what locations would you recommend regarding the bus stop? We also want to be convenient to the main pool. We're getting a one room studio, so I don't know if that makes a difference in where our location will have to be.
The studio won't make a difference with regards to your building location.

There is a new classification for booking rooms closest to the Hospitality House - and these book up the fastest!!! We have always loved buildings 23-26 as they are very close to the HH, and are the first bus stop when coming into the resort.

The pool at OKW is nice. It has a sand castle slide that goes pretty fast.
We love the whole area over by the main pool - there's a small boardwalk-ish area that houses Olivia's, the marina, Gurgling Suitcase (bar), Goods to Go (take out window), the Community Center (a really overlooked benefit to the resort, offering many free activities), as well as the fitness center and locker rooms.

OKW has free laundry machines near all the pools. This is handy as you're in a studio.

By the main pool, the locker room is very convenient as there are showers to use as well as lockers - this is great on the last day if you check out of your room earlier and your flight's later.

Nice resort, very spread out and relaxed. We do not care for the rooms down South Point Road or Turtle Pond Road - they're so far removed from everything, and several of the rooms have views of highways...

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-11-2008, 01:55 PM
OKW - I've stayed at this one and really liked it. It is beautiful and the rooms are really nice. We had a great view of the trees and would sit outside at night. The pool was also nice. We spent a couple of nights just hanging around the pool.

jwallace378
03-11-2008, 02:17 PM
April will be my 4th time staying at OKW and we love it. We usually get a studio by the main pool area. Even these buildings are pretty quiet and peaceful. I especially enjoy relaxing on the patio overlooking the golf course.