PDA

View Full Version : Big Decision - Stay at the Grand Floridian?

Princess'Mom
03-10-2008, 11:44 AM
In the past, we stayed at WL and loved the atmosphere. We went to dinner at GF and fell in love with its beauty. Now I need some help in planning a trip.

I have lots of questions!

Does GF play outdoor music, especially around the pool area?

What's the best garden view room?

Knowing it is apples vs. oranges - should I stick with the familiarity of WL or go for a change at GF? Or throw another choice in like Poly?

In advance, thanks for your opinions and suggestions!

SBETigg
03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
The GF is our favorite resort since our honeymoon stay there in 1990. If you're taken by the beauty, I think you should go for it and try a stay there. I don't recall about music, but you can see the fireworks from the courtyard pool at night. Actually, the courtyard pool and hot tub area is my favorite, but both GF pool choices are great.

There isn't really a bad building, either. You could stay closer to the pools or closer to the main building depending on what you prefer. We like Boca Chica. The garden views are all lovely. We even enjoy just spending time in the lobby, wonderful shops, restaurants, and places to sit and relax. Gasparilla Grill, the quick service option, is open twenty-four hours, and the marina is a great place to watch fireworks, plus you have the Electric Water Pageant at the end of the boat dock near Narcoossee's.

wilshade
03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I've visited both WL and GF many times althoigh I have yet to stay at either resort. But, that will change very soon.

I can tell you that they are totally different experiences. I think you would enjoy the GF. Look at it as an adventure to Grand Old Florida. I think you will love it. Dont deny yourself the experience because of familiarity at WL. Go ahead and try it!

A morning or evening walk around the GF is one of the most relaxing things you can experience. Have fun!

pox24
03-10-2008, 01:52 PM
The best garden view rooms, I think, are in Boca Chica, facing Narcoosee's. From all floors you can see the lagoon and the CR and still pay the garden view price. Just request that location. Its also a 30 second walk to the pool and equal distance to the MK boat launch. "Wishes" can also be viewed from the east side of Boca Chica and its quiet. Soft Jazz is played by the adult pool. Going ourselves in July, can't wait. Gonna try a tower lodge room this time.

Kairi_7378
03-10-2008, 06:13 PM
If price is not an issue, and you want to spend some time enjoying your resort... try something new!

TammiMcMan
03-10-2008, 08:19 PM
If you can request a specific room, as Pox mentioned, the best garden view is Boca Chica, high floor, overlooking Narcoosees. There's a pretty good chance you'll see the castle through the trees. Conch Key has the best overall room views.

The GF's pools are lovely. They do have some music by the courtyard pool and this is where they have the kids games in the afternoon. The theme pool is zero entry, it has a slide and there are private cabana's that you can rent by the day or half day.

The GF Orchestra plays in the lobby every night and they have a piano player in the early afternoon.

They are 2 very different resort experiences though. Some people feel that the GF can feel cold and the CM's a little snotty. I've had people ask if they'll be looked down upon if they aren't in designer labels. All I can say is that we've never once felt out of place staying there.

GrandFlo
03-10-2008, 09:24 PM
I am going to have to say stay at the GF!!!! We have stayed there over 10 times and we love it. DS has been staying here since he was 3 and the GF is very kid friendly just like all the other Disney resorts.

It's funny that you always stay at WL and are thinking of the GF because we always stay at the GF and want to try the WL. We will probably split a stay between the WL and GF. We did this with AKL and it worked out well.

As far as music, besides what above posters mentioned, the music is pipped in by the marina where you can watch Wishes.

We usually stay in a garden room, and the only difference between them is the view, but there is nothing like a parking lot view or anything like that to worry about. You may want a specific building if there is something you want to be close to, ie the pool, the main building, the boat launch, the Gasperilla Grill, etc.

Have a great time!!!! :mickey:

Princess'Mom
03-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Thank you all for the information. I guess we REALLY need to stay at GF!:mickey:

Price is always a concern, especially in the days of $4.00 a gallon gasoline, but making memories is priceless - so GF it is!

Now if I can only get a discount code for the time we want to go! :thumbsup:

SurferStitch
03-11-2008, 01:03 PM
If you can swing it, DO IT!!

The Grand Flo is our very favorite resort. We stayed there for our honeymoon in 1996, and have returned many times over the years.

This will be the first time we are staying in a garden view room (5/4 - 5/10), and we are looking forward to it. We've always had lagoon view or concierge main building, so this will be a nice change. We got an AP rate, and it saved us a big chunk of change.

We've always found the Flo to be very elegant, yet very comfortable. We love to listen to the orchestra or the pianist, shop, and just relax.

I hope you give it a try, and if you do, have a wonderful stay!