PDA

View Full Version : My little boy is my hero

Stitchahula
03-10-2008, 10:45 AM
My son William is so great he handles things so well. Yesterday we spend the whole day in the emergency department. We were sitting at home in the morning when he looked at me and said mommy my heart is beating really fast. It was racing and I could feel his murmur really well so off we went to the hospital.:medic: I knew in my heart he came out of remission, he has Diamond Blackfan Anemia he doesn't make his own red blood cells. Some of you might remember myself or my sisters asking for pixie dust for him. Well they hooked him up to an EKG to check his heart and they sent a nurse in to draw his blood to check his numbers. We always let him pick which arm he wants to do and give him the option of sitting on my lap or not. This nurse wasn't going to let him do any of that so I said he always gets to pick which arm he wants to do it gives him some control over a situation that he has no say over in other ways. So she allowed that but she can't have him sit on our lap she needed him to lay down that's the way she does it. I know I should've said right then to get someone else but I didn't want to get William upset so I let her talk us into having him lay down. I will never again go against what I feel is right he was crying and yelling he didn't want to do this he has never acted this way before or I should say not since he has been a baby. Thankfully she got it on the first try and he was ok and settled down right away and we didn't see her again after that. We waited for the longest time for the doctor to come in and the first words were that he spoke to the hemotologist so I knew he was in for a transfusion the first one in a year. Sure enough he's come out of remission and needed his tank filled. They called down and ordered the blood while we waited for another hour(they have to defrost the blood). When they finally hook him up it's for another 2 and 1/2 hours to put the blood in meanwhile he's been so good watching tv and playing with his dino's. He's such a good little kid. It wasn't until we were 1/2 way threw the bag of blood did he start getting antsy saying he wanted to leave but I think that's because he was getting energy again and had to sit in bed. We finally were done and got to leave after spending the whole day and part of the night there. I can't believe how good he was for such a long period of time. It kills me that he has to go through this but his strength is so amazing for one so small. So now we have to start over with blood checks in 3 weeks to see if he needs another transfusion or not but this time it will be with the nurses that know him and love him. He had nightmares last night and was crying in his sleep. That was a 1st and I hope a last, I will never again think twice about saying no you will do it this way or you can get someone who can. If you can spare a little pixie dust for him and say a little prayer that he goes back into remission we would appreciate it.

SBETigg
03-10-2008, 10:53 AM
:pixie: for William! How great that he handles all this so well, Coreen. :hug:

DizNee143
03-10-2008, 10:56 AM
i am sorry to hear that your little boy has to go through all this..but it sure seems like he handles it all mostly well...i would be so proud of the little guy!!
heres pixie dust..for him and this tough journey hes been on..

:pixie::pixie::pixie:

ElenitaB
03-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Here's a lot more than the "little pixie dust" you've requested:
:pixie: :muscles: :pixie: :muscles: :pixie:

Prayers are being said that he goes back into remission. And do follow your intution. It's daunting to be in that situation, but, unfortunately, you are the only one who can advocate for your child at that moment. :hug: to you too, for being such a great mom!

Jeff G
03-10-2008, 12:21 PM
William is quite the little trooper and sounds like an amazaing little boy the way he handles this. More :pixie: and prayers heading your way.

merlinmagic4
03-10-2008, 12:33 PM
What a great little guy :hug: I'm so sorry he has to go through that. It makes me mad about the nurse with the blood draw but there have been many times I have accomodated the wishes of the medical staff when I knew there was a better way for my son. I know just how you feel about that. I try to advocate for mine as well but sometimes you just don't have the strength to rock the boat. The thing that makes me mad is that nurse should have had enough compassion to a) try to draw the blood with him in your lap or b)get someone else. We used to always do blood draws the same way. I can't imagine it was any easier for her with him being so upset.

Anyway, I am so sorry he is no longer in remission but maybe the next one will come quickly.

Tinksalot
03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son.
:pixie::pixie::pixie::hug:

MsMin
03-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Sending :pixie: for your son and you. I know as a mom what it's like to watch them get poked and stabbed in the hospital and it's hard to watch them go through it and can feel so guilty... My oldest dd went through a lot as a toddler.
I had one episode very much like you describe w/ my younger dd now 22 who was made to lie on the table and the doctor came in and told her how painful it was going to be and had the nurse hold her down and said she just didn't want her to hate her for doing it -- basically got her so upset that she freaked out--- it was her aunt! She still remembers that episode.
More :pixie: and I hope he is back into remission real soon...:(

MMouse6937
03-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Coreen, bless you and William and for what he's going through!! :pixie: and :hug: to you both. Take care and let us know how things go. I spent a lot of time in the hospital when I was a child so I know how difficult it is to be there when your little and want to be out and about!

offwego
03-10-2008, 02:13 PM
What tough thing to go through. I hope that he is going back into remisson really soon. Please keep us updated.

Prayers and pixie dust on their way.

Gooftroop5
03-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Prayers & pixie dust that he goes into remission soon.

Dsnygirl
03-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Coreen, I'm sending loads of :pixie::pixie: to your sweet little boy... what a trooper!! I'm so sorry that nurse was difficult... I had a similar situation years ago w/ a new pediatrician, and needless to say, we changed offices after our first visit!! (I'm a nurse, and just cannot understand the lack of empathy some nurses show!! :()

Anyway - I hope things go well for William on his next visits - give him a big hug from our family!!

crazypoohbear
03-10-2008, 04:20 PM
So, William had to do this to get the attention away from Justin???
Couldn't he have come up with something a little less dramatic!
Ummm, I wonder why everyone in the family has stress related medical issues.
I'm sure that this is a one time thing. Maybe him needing a yearly transfusion in March is a way of knowing that spring is here

Kat said he was full of color and energy yesterday afterwards so he should be all wound up for St. Patricks day!

Give him kisses for me.

Kairi_7378
03-10-2008, 06:02 PM
What a brave little man you have there. Prayers and pixie dust for you all!!!

Melanie
03-10-2008, 06:23 PM
More :pixie: on the way for William!

disneydeb
03-10-2008, 06:45 PM
He sounds like a terrific young man and you are his Super-Mom.:thumbsup::pixie::pixie:

KarenP
03-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Sending my prayers and good thoughts for you and William!

PrincessErin
03-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Aww, sorry to hear about your little man going through all of this...

Sending lots of :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: for both of you!!

Bethis26fan
03-10-2008, 07:28 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son.

RenDuran
03-10-2008, 07:29 PM
:pixie: for you both!

Dakota Rose
03-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Prayers and pixie dust coming your way!

mrsgaribaldi
03-12-2008, 03:02 AM
William sounds like a great little boy and I'm sorry that he and you have to go through all this. It's a shame that the nurse was not more caring about the patient. Prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie:on the way for his speedy remission.

Stitchahula
03-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Thank you everyone the prayers and pixie dust mean the word to us. It's helped to put him into remission in the past hopefully it will again. He's fighting a cold right now he seems to always get one after being transfused. I'm still so mad about that nurse and that I didn't just say to find one that can do things the way he's most comfortable.
As my sister said it seems be a new type of march madness for us, him coming out of remission. I thought about it and both time someone in his school has had fifths disease which is known for knocking them out of remission.
Again thanks everyone.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-15-2008, 01:03 AM
"My" baby will go back into remission, I just know it! He's a great little boy and it really stinks that he has to go through this. But I know he'll be fine soon. After he and the rest of the family get over the flu that they have now developed, a result of spending time in the ER I'm sure!
Prayers and Pixie dust for my Sweet Pea.
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: