PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mary Florida?

GrandFlo
03-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Anyone familiar with this area? I was told that it is a very good neighborhood and was voted the #4 place to live in the US last year.

We are planning to move in 2-3 years. We won't be buying a house, want to rent for a year or so to make sure FL is where we want to be.

What about schools, DS will be approaching HS by then. What about jobs, DH has a pension, so he wants to work at Disney and I'm an RN.

Thanks for any info. :mickey:

MauiMouse
03-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I have a dealer/friend who lives in Lake Mary during the winter. She always invited me over but so far I've only stayed on Disney property. I know that she really likes the area. She's lived there in the winter for as long as I can remember.

Tinksalot
03-09-2008, 08:40 PM
We lived in Florida for almost 10years and now live in Northern Virginia. The schools don't compare! The Florida schools aren't up to the standards of our schools here. My husband almost took a job in Florida after living here, and we had decided if we were to move back to Florida the kids would attend private schools.

Stan
03-09-2008, 08:51 PM
We've been in Orlando (from PA) for 13 yr and I wouldn't be anywhere else- DW might prefer someplace a bit calmer. :blush:

The route from Lake Mary to WDW is I-4 right through downtown Orlando. Granted it's not NYC, but it's a congested and unpleasant drive most any time of day or night. :sick: :ack: Or you can take the longer 417 route- higher speed, 10-20 miles further (I need to check), and tolls. :( So if you're serious about working at Disney even part time, I'd think hard about going the other direction, west of WDW on I-4. Good luck on your move and your choices. ;)

murphy1
03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Right around there you also have Longwood, which is a great family area and other towns like Heathrow and Altamonte Springs. You might also want to check out South of Orlando, like Winter Garden and Clermont. I really like those areas and we look around there, also Ocoee. Windermere is really nice, but one of the more expensive areas. Orlando is getting more and more congested. I have friends and family there and I am amazed at the growth in the last ten years. I agree totally with Stan on that I-4 commute, it's a crazy area where business commuters meet vacationers and Snowbirds. I used to have to travel that route when I was there from Tampa on business and would plan my travel time accordingly. As a nurse you will have excellent employment options.

Flower
03-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I agree that the drive west of Disney is much more pleasant than coming from the East.

DH's parents live between Lake Wales & Seabring right off of Hwy 28 in Frostproof. The drive from #28 to Disney is not usually that bad, unless there is construction or accidents, it takes about 45 minuted from their place.

TigChatt
03-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I hope that I can shed some light on Lake Mary for you. My grandparents have lived there since my dad was a teenager. I have grown up visiting that area for all my life. I dont think I have ever seen Lake Mary with heavy traffic. It's normal, its way less busy than NY. Yes I-4 is bad during rush hour, but that's really more towards downtown Orlando. It has a nice mall there that is well done, plus another mall that is upscale as you get closer to Orlando. I love the Lake Mary area. If my grandmother didnt live there, then that would be my first choice of area to buy a house(long story). About the job field, you will always have a job there due to large amounts of retired old ppl there. My grandmother was a visiting nurse and always had a job. If you have anymore questions please feel free to PM me.

GrandFlo
03-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the info and great tips. So much to think about. :thumbsup: