PDA

View Full Version : Spring must be getting closer! What signshave you seen?

Gooftroop5
03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Anyone else seeing any signs of spring? Flowers, robins, crocuses, etc. :pick::flower::chicken:

We saw flocks of snow geese this morning while out shoveling. It was really a beautiful sight. White bodies, black wing tips against a blue sky. Both dh & I stopped to watch them. We live between 2 lakes in a lot of farm land and near a water refuge. They usually start coming back here about now which means spring is right around the corner.

The other day dd & I were out waiting for the bus & its been so quiet normally but it was noisy that morning it gave me such a warm feeling inside to hear the birds again.

I love spring just could live without the mud.

Sorry if someone has already done this. Merge them if they have. I'm just so excited a warm light at the end of the storm.:sun:

BostonChic
03-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I am starting to feel like it's Spring in some ways:cloud9: Spring ahead(clocks) and it's always sunny.Today it was 40 degrees :) My oldest DS has a birthday coming up :party2: March 29 :thumbsup: looking forward to our next trip ,too :mickey:

Dakota Rose
03-09-2008, 04:56 PM
We, too, have seen flocks of geese heading home recently. The other day the sky was nearly black with all the home-bound creatures.

And my DS reported seeing a fly in his bedroom last night. That's always a good sign!

I, too, am not excited about the muddy weeks ahead but can hardly wait to put the down jacket away!

MsMin
03-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I've seen many signs. My irises have buds and my purple magnolia is almost finished blooming. The azaleas are blooming and red bud trees. My fruit trees have buds (not open yet). We already have little plums on the Japanese plum tree. Even when we get a cold snap it's warm by the afternoon. Before long it will be too hot :(
I saw a robin last week and a bluebird and the Canadian geese have been flying around I think they are getting ready to go home but some have decided to move b/c I see them year round now. They have been very noisy lately.
My grape leaves have not popped out yet but my fig tree is covered in fresh new leaves.....
I love to get on the highway this time of year b/c you can drive north-south and literally see the vegetation change. :sun:

tundramom
03-09-2008, 05:58 PM
A sure sign of Spring here in Ohio is..............18 inches of snow!:snowball::sled:

crazypoohbear
03-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Here are my sure signs of spring
Sore throat'
itchy eyes.
post nasal drip
itchy skin
I love allergies!

merlinmagic4
03-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Definitely the mud........and lots of it! :D

I have seen robins and my daylilies are popping up in the yard.

Hearing the birds chirping in the morning is cool.

Oh, I guess the biggest thing that means spring to us is all of the birthdays: all of my children were born in the spring and so was I! We celebrate our first of the season on Friday :party:

crazypoohbear
03-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Definitely the mud........and lots of it! :D

I have seen robins and my daylilies are popping up in the yard.

Hearing the birds chirping in the morning is cool.

Oh, I guess the biggest thing that means spring to us is all of the birthdays: all of my children were born in the spring and so was I! We celebrate our first of the season on Friday :party:

Happy Birthday to everyone!!!:party:

dolphinmickey9170
03-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Our daffodills are sticking out about 7 inches. Hopefully they will bloom soon. WOOHOO!!

I was sitting staring out the window at 7pm and it was still light out!! YEAH!:mickey:

RedSoxFan
03-09-2008, 10:01 PM
So far the only sign of spring here is that my oldest, Chris, is home for spring break from Syracuse Univ this week.

As for the weather, still winter. We had snow/ice over the weekend and it's still cold.

NJ Camper
03-09-2008, 10:25 PM
we have seen the robins and hear the birds chirping friday i saw some frogs swiming in a swapy area the doves are chasing each other around and we even saw a chipmunk oh yeah and ground hogs lots of them

adoptionislove
03-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Our grass is starting to get green. The squirrels are getting frisky with one another, And the Dogwood trees are blooming. YEA!!!

BelleLovesTheBeast
03-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Greener grass with weeds. LOL - I could do without the weeds

Iris and Hyacinths have started blooming. The leaves are coming back on my Gerber daisies.

Several robins, some blue birds and a couple of woodpeckers....pecking away.

Today it was warm outside....tomorrow around 60......good sign of spring to come.

ncscgirl2005
03-10-2008, 09:24 AM
The squirrels are getting frisky with one another

Twitterpated!!!!

Here in the South, our sure sign of spring is...POLLEN:sneeze:

tinklover
03-10-2008, 09:33 AM
My daffodils are sprouting, all of the ones on teh side of my house are in full bloom as well as the back yard, the ones out front have the bllom buds but have yet to bloom. I have a patch of crocus's that are in full bloom. the irises in my back yard have begun to sprout up can;t wait for them to bloom. i have new leaf groth on my rose bush and some of the bushes in my back yard have started to sprout tehir pretty pink flowers. the birds now wake me everymorning instead of teh alram clock or the kids. it is a great time of year. although i am happy to see spring i want it to end. Only because the sooner spring gets here and starts to end the sooner i am back at the WORLD:cloud9:

Jeff G
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I shouldn't have read this post. It's been a cold & snowy winter here in Wisconsin and with a foot or two of snow still on the ground spring seems so far away. I'm so jealous of you who live in the south with the blooming flowers, robins and other birds and green grass. Could you ship some of your warm weather north?

As for signs of spring, the snow bank in my front yard had my mailbox completely buried a week or so ago but as of today it's about a foot under it and I saw 40's in the forecast. Does this count?

MsMin
03-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Happy Birthday to everyone!!!:party:

It's like Christmas here too... My kids birthdays are the 25th, 26th and 27th of this month and I'm the next week so ALL spring babies here (but I'm not quite a spring chick:blush: :cake:
But it does deplete my wallet -- just like Christmas!

Opps... sorry I messed this up a little ...merlinmagic4 --- Happy Birthday to all of you -- we are all spring babies too.
To Jeff G... I'm so jealous of all the snow... yes, we do get an early spring but we don't get the beauty of snow. The white stuff on my mailbox was left by some winged creatures not something I would want to touch!

PlutoToo
03-10-2008, 10:45 AM
This past weekend, I saw my crocus (crocuses, croci?) and daffodils up and blooming right before they were buried under 9 inches of snow. The snow is gone now and so ares the crocus, but I still have daffodils.

Magic Smiles
03-10-2008, 10:55 AM
The only sign of spring here in Ottawa is our budgie. She certainly is getting frisky. She is out of her cage when we are home and this past week is just into everything and going non stop until she conks out with exhaustion every night.
All plants and bushes are under 6 feet of snow, so no blooms nor buds around here unless they are inside. Better tell any Canada geese that are planning to return to Ontario to hold off a while. More snow in the forecast for later this week AGAIN. Right now our temperatures with wind chill in in the -20s C (-4 F)

Marilyn Michetti
03-10-2008, 11:07 AM
We have desert landscaping - rocks and cactus, but in the Spring, we have yellow and orange flowers poking up throught the rocks all over the yard. There's a mama bird in the cactus with babies, and she just sasses all the time.

Anyone want to REALLY see Spring, come to the desert. It's beautiful this time of year.:thumbsup:

Stitchahula
03-10-2008, 11:18 AM
The signs in my house is my dog is getting antsy to spend more time outside. My 4 y/o and I planted our seeds to get them started, inside of course. Oh and this over whelming need to clean. Every spring my mom used to make us wash the screens, the windows ,everything so the fresh air could get inside now I find myself doing some of the same things I used to complain about. As for buds outside haven't seen much but I have heard the birds starting to chirp when I've got my dog outside before the sun comes up. For any of the other early risers out there have you notice a difference in the sunrises they look prettier when it gets warmer. The only reason I'm up so early is the baby likes to wake up before the sun.

conorsmom2000
03-11-2008, 07:33 AM
We had our very first exciting sign of spring this weekend.....Donald and Daisy came home!!! :D

2 summers ago we put in an above ground pool. Well, last spring some of you may remember I posted a picture of 2 ducks (http://jmcmurray.smugmug.com/photos/140562777_qRxfP-M.jpg)(which someone here named Donald and Daisy! :thumbsup: ) that decided to make the top of the pool liner (which has water accumulated on it) their temporary home. Our black lab, Molly, was quite interested in them, though, she ended up being more afraid of them then they were of her! Once the pool was opened in May, we never saw them again.

Well, to my total surprise, I looked outside Saturday morning and there's Daisy and Donald on top of the pool! Unfortunately, this pair (or if it's the same pair) are now a little camera shy, as when I ran out to get a picture, they flew away. But, that was a very exciting sign of spring for us! :party:

IloveJack
03-11-2008, 08:25 AM
One definite sign that it's getting warmer... I can't do a thing with my students. Spring Fever has definitely set it. Oh well, we get out for spring break this Friday, so I'll manage.

On the "nature" side of things, our daffodils have been blooming for a week or so, and the red buds are starting to add some color to the landscape. It's fairly warm by noon, just still cold enough for a jacket in the morning. I can't wait to not dress in layers anymore!

alphamommy
03-12-2008, 10:18 AM
No signs of spring here - I'm a little envious of all of you who have things growing!

Hopefully, we'll start seeing robins and red-winged blackbirds by the end of the month, but I won't hold my breath. It always seems that we get one of our biggest snow storms of the year on the first day of spring!

Tammy

SteveL
03-12-2008, 12:27 PM
The most important sign of spring: Jimmy Buffett has released his 2008 tour schedule.
Now the Ticketmaster servers have to cooperate.

Ed
03-12-2008, 01:27 PM
'Scuse me... gotta go check out that Jimmy Buffett schedule. Be right back. ;)

Sure sign here: the grass gets its first cutting since early November tomorrow. :mow:

Last week, we were visited by a HUGE flock of white ibises, searching the sandy soil for snacks.

But my favorite sign will be another week or two arriving - - the first of the fuzzy-headed baby Sandhill Cranes tottering along behind their red-headed parents. It's almost like the parents are parading them through the neighborhood, showing them off. Incredibly cute!

:cool:

sorarail
03-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Here in the South, our sure sign of spring is...POLLEN:sneeze:

You are right about that!:thumbsup:
My black car is a sickening shade of yellow/green right now due to the layer of pollen that has landed on it today!

divinedi
03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
The only signs here are slightly longer daylight, although I now get up in the dark again what with the time change :(. Still have snow covering EVERYthing :pout:, and March is so unpredictable with weather, nice and sunny one day, blizzards the next. April will be better, and at the end, we're off to DISNEY!!!!:cloud9: Can't wait!

Love of Disney
03-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Well....the sun is finally shinning today, but we got another few centametres of snow last night. That on top of the 40 cm (18 inches) we got last weekend....we are so ready for spring!! :cool:

DisneyDog
03-12-2008, 05:16 PM
The crocuses are starting to sprout up from the ground. The cat has been looking out the window talking to the birds every morning, and it's gotten into the 50's for the past few days. There is an end to winter in sight!:party:

NJ Camper
03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm hopeing your right but til we get past march i'm still not sure we can count it over yet and this time of year it can be even worse a wet snow can do lots of damage

garymacd
03-13-2008, 07:36 PM
What have I seen? Snow, snow and still more snow!

Gooftroop5
03-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Saw more geese this morning flying between the lakes. & hearing more & more song birds. For the record I live in central NY. All my flowerbeds are covered with snow & ice. Suppose to be in the 40's today. All of those that keep seeing snow & more snow there is a light trust me. Rain today & most of this weekend.

I know the snow isn't over however I know its the end soon. This is an area that has been known to get snow on Mother's day.

As for all of those with allergies. I am a fellow sufferer & with everything pollinating in the south a good south breeze makes me start so when we start pollinating here it does me in completely. My sympathies to all & pass the tissues. :)

alphamommy
03-14-2008, 05:38 PM
It's 60 degrees here today (it won't last), and my DD (age 8) is outside wearing a T-shirt and jeans, shoveling snow into her beach buckets!

Maybe spring is closer than I think!

Tammy

Mrs. Bee
03-14-2008, 06:04 PM
It was in the upper 60's a few days ago. Although I didn't really go out and enjoy it at all. We might get some snow (not much) this weekend though.

I LOVE winter but around this time of year I start to get antsy for Spring. Everything is still really brown here. I just want it to warm up a little so I can go on bike rides and walks!

alphamommy
03-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Hurray!

DD and I saw 5-6 robins while waiting for the school bus this morning! They were hopping around the neighborhood, listening for worms.

While this is great to see, I know we can still get lots of snow between now and June!

Tammy

Dakota Rose
03-18-2008, 10:21 AM
We had two centipedes in our house the other day. The geese continue to fill the sky on their way north. And my neighbor's lawn is starting to turn a very faded shade of green. I think it's here! *knocking on wood*

princessjojo
03-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Here are my sure signs of spring
Sore throat'
itchy eyes
post nasal drip
itchy skin
I love allergies!
And the headache that comes along for the ride...ugh.

laughingplace<3
03-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Me getting sick more often than even winter because of the foul weather changes due to global warming. :ill:

My immune system does NOT work well when the weather changes drastically over short periods of time, which is what it is doing now (or at least, here in NYC). Other than that, the signs are more and more rain showers and some days of warm weather (reaching up into the mid-60's last week!) :D

poohbearlover15
03-19-2008, 09:46 PM
I know its spring because we always go to disney in the spring time! Also my birthday is March 29th!