PDA

View Full Version : How is Boma?

dumbo ears
03-09-2008, 01:00 PM
:mickey:Im goin to wdw at the end of the month and Im staying at the Animal Kingdom lodge. We have never eaten there and we were thinking of boma. I have some questions:

1. How is the food and isnt it a buffet?
2. Is it pricy and is it worth the price?
3. How is the service?
4. How is the experience?

Well thats all my quesitons right now and just so you know we will have a mom and 2 16 years old kids going on the trip and Im one of the 16 years olds in case this helps.

wendy*darling
03-09-2008, 01:07 PM
We love Boma and make a point of getting over to AKL on most trips to eat here.
It is a buffet- and they serve breakfast and dinner.
The current prices for adults are:
Breakfast- $16.99
Dinner- $26.99

The food is wonderful! There is a nice variety of African-inspired foods and foods you commonly eat. Their soups and stews are especially yummy. And the best part of a buffet is that you can just get a "taste" of something new. If you don't like it - fine; but if you do- you can go back and get more. :tasty:

Here are some photos (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/foodphotos/deluxeresorts/aklodge.asp#bcmarket)of the food there (we took several of these pictures)

The last time we dined there as a family, my sons were 15 & 18. The older one enjoys trying new foods and the younger one likes his chicken strips and mac & cheese (note the American food photo;)) !

We think Boma is well worth a visit (or 2)- especially since you are staying right there in the Lodge. :thumbsup:

bc002k
03-09-2008, 01:42 PM
It's awesome, I urge you to try it. There's definitely an African influence, but it's not like you need a really adventurous palate for it. The amount of options is almost overwhelming.

MMouse6937
03-09-2008, 04:18 PM
We tried Boma for the first time last year and it was great. The wait to get in was a little frustrating (our pager went off and by the time I got to talk to someone it stopped flashing so they asked me if it actually went off. Then DH had to ask them if we were still on the list, seems like they forgot us and we were seated next :mad:) anyhoo...the food was great, interesting, different. It is a buffet and has something for everyone. My DH and dad are somewhat picky but mom and I were way more adventurous, everyone found something to fill up on. I have to say the best part were the desserts. They were WONDERFUL!! A huge spread of all different kinds of things. I would have saved more room (and will this year) if I had known they were so good!! Service was good, quick refills, clearing plates, etc. I think you all should try it and should like it very much. Take care!

Pop Centurion
03-09-2008, 04:56 PM
The dinner buffet is excellent and I highly recommend it. Haven't tried breakfast........yet. ;)

tiaramom
03-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Boma is our very favorite disney restaurant.
The very BEST !!!
I have eaten the diner buffet and loved it
4 years in a row - rated my top pick.
I am a very picky eater. The food is so fresh.
Next trip- I am eating there 2x in our 6 day stay. It is worth every penny. I am a mother of a 3 year old , whom also enjoys it.

IloveDisney71
03-09-2008, 05:44 PM
We ate at Boma's for the first time in December and LOVED it! We really enjoyed the soup selections. The butternut squash was wonderful. There were all sorts of new things to try so we sampled lots of different things and liked most of them. Make sure you save room for desserts. My favorites were the zebra domes and upside down pineapple cheesecake - YUM!!!
The atmosphere is very family friendly. Our service was great. He was very helpful explaining how the buffet areas were set up and giving us tips on things to try.
He was quick with drink refills and with clearing empty plates.
We will definitely be eating here on future trips!

Hull-onian
03-09-2008, 05:58 PM
:mickey:Im goin to wdw at the end of the month and Im staying at the Animal Kingdom lodge. We have never eaten there and we were thinking of boma. I have some questions:

1. How is the food and isnt it a buffet?
2. Is it pricy and is it worth the price?
3. How is the service?
4. How is the experience?

Well thats all my quesitons right now and just so you know we will have a mom and 2 16 years old kids going on the trip and Im one of the 16 years olds in case this helps.

The food is great:thumbsup:
It is worth the price.:thumbsup:
Service for us was excellent.:thumbsup:
We loved the experience.:thumbsup:

As a matter of fact, we are going twice on this trip. Really looking forward to it.:cloud9:

EmmMOM2
03-09-2008, 06:28 PM
We LOVE AKL!!!

Though i don't like Boma much. If you are a picky eater it will be hard to find a good portion of things you will eat. But if your taste is somewhat adventurous then you should be fine.

DakotaDisney
03-09-2008, 10:20 PM
I love AKL and Boma !

Both breakfast and supper are very good and worth the price.

But breakfast is the best of the 2 meals.

Try the special juice they have at breakfast. It is really good. I forget what it is called. I think it's Jamba Juice????

I am going back in May and can't wait!

Shugoondola
03-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Try the special juice they have at breakfast. It is really good. I forget what it is called. I think it's Jamba Juice????

I believe it is called Frunch and it's wonderful :tasty:

I love Boma for both the dinner buffet and breakfast. I think Boma has the best breakfast in all of WDW.

:mickey:

DakotaDisney
03-09-2008, 10:41 PM
I believe it is called Frunch and it's wonderful :tasty:

You are right it is wonderful, but "Frunch" doesn't sound right.

I think it was called something else when I was there.

tennantsrwe
03-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Hey. We really enjoyed Boma....food was great, price is worth it, service was fantastic and friendly and overall a neat experience. Give it a try at least once.

pox24
03-10-2008, 08:37 AM
It's great...:thumbsup:

Krystal_Rose
03-10-2008, 11:15 AM
We also got to eat at Boma's last year. The food was great. It was our favorite restaurant that we ate at the whole week. I have a six year old too and I was very impressed at the variety of non african food available for kids. The adults however tried everything we could, even though we couldn't read what it was. Hehe. I highly recommend Boma to anyone visiting WDW.

MissStyles
03-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Another :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Make sure you're really hungry when you go there for dinner!

MickeyChick
03-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Based on everyone raving about it here on Intercot, I tried Boma last month and really didn't like it. Really really. The soups were good and so was the hummus, but everything else was just unappealing due to an overwhelming amount of strange spices.

xipetotec
03-10-2008, 12:03 PM
We stayed at AKL for the first time ever ( thanks to DVC ) and tried both Boma and jiko. Both were fantastic experiences. I loved the unique food, I loved the atmosphere, and the service was excellent ( we went for both breakfast and dinner and both were great ).
Albert is one of the best servers in all of WDW.

Floridian Yeti
03-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Ah, we love Boma too -- in fact we usually make a trip there to eat even if we're staying at another DW resort.
There's a LOT of variety, and not everything is that exotic by any means...you can be as adventurous as you want.
I think it's the best breakfast (including the Kenyan coffee) we've had onsite, period. I love the bobotie, brioche and frunch (yes, it is called that! made from o.j., lemonade, and papaya, guava and pineapple juices).
Thumb's up here:thumbsup:

Belle_0717
03-10-2008, 02:01 PM
DH and I just got back.

We stayed at AKL and took the "Culinary Tour" - a free event for guests to understand and try Jiko with a side tour of Boma.

Chef Lance was great with his walk through of the buffet. Our dining experience changed because of the change in menu - they rotate 3 menus based on the day. The bobotie was great with the side rice - probably my fave next to the cole slaw and DESSERTS! DH was too full but I saved room.

We also had breakfast - WAY TOO MUCH FOOD for so early in the day. The bobotie on the breakfast bar was great as well but LOVED the french toast and pastries even more.

Laughin' place
03-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I think Boma is a "must try" for anyone who is willing to try something different (i.e. something that doesnt come with a side of fries -- I love fries, dont get me wrong...but after a few days on vacation...)
Anyhow...
the recipe for frunch is here on the boards. I made it a couple of weeks ago for our "100 Days Dinner" (counting down to our trip), and it was a big hit:cheers:

snowflakegirl
03-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm so happy to see so many good reviews here...I've been intrigued by Boma for a while and made ADRs there for our next trip in August. Now I'm looking forward to it even more. :mickey: