PDA

View Full Version : Disney "treasures" at thrift stores, yard sales, etc...

McGoofy
03-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Just curious...have you guys ever found any really good Disney stuff at thrift stores, yard sales, etc...?

My DH, DS, and I had a really good day today. We went to a few different thrift stores around town specifically looking for Vintage Disney stuff. We do this every now and again, and we have found some neat things in the past. Today we came home with some records (45 LP's) from the 1960's that were still in their jackets and looked really nice. We found "Pinnochio" (1960), "It's A Small World"(1964) ( this had colored pictures of the IASW from DL inside the cover), and some other Disney albums. A few years ago I had found the 45 LP of "Song of the South." I had the jacket and the record custom framed together and have it as wall art in my DS' playroom.

At one of the Goodwill stores we saw an All Stars Resort mug. That made us smile, but we weren't in the market for that, so we left it there!:)

We have fun looking for rare hidden Disney treasures. It's like looking for hidden Mickey's here at home! I'm hoping one day I'll find something really, really good that somebody didn't realize what they had before they gave it away.

Have you guys ever found anything like that?

January-2007
03-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I've gotten a lot of cool Disneyana at thrift stores. It's always such fun when you find that hidden gem. And so cheap! We haven't gone to any lately, but in our old neighborhood we would go a lot. I have plastic mugs, a really neat vintage platter, a plate, lots of neat things. I can also recommend checking out used book stores for old Disney books. I've gotten those really nice Disney theme park books that sell for at least $20 for only a dollar! And lots more. I really enjoy looking at old ones at rides that don't exist anymore and laughing over old clothing styles and such, lots of fun. Thanks for bringing this up! :mickey:

disneydeb
03-08-2008, 07:55 PM
I collect Disney cookie jars.So far I have a Dumbo turnabout,. Genie from Aladin, Donald Duck, Mrs. Potts and Mickey the Baker.

The other day I found a Mickey Mouse lunck box. I think I will go back and get that!:mickey:

eyoreswife
03-08-2008, 08:17 PM
i found a baggie in a thrift store with disney pins 2 sets of each park with the year 2000 on them for 50 cents i practically ran out the door i felt like i robbed the place:thedolls:

Lacy
03-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Nothing to valuable but I was very excited that my mom found me a monorail set for $5 at a garage sale. I've always had trouble shelling out the $100 to but one at WDW so I never ended up buying one there.

McGoofy
03-09-2008, 01:45 PM
i practically ran out the door i felt like i robbed the place:thedolls:

That's funny!:funny: Just this morning, I told a friend of mine that I felt like I was stealing. On the same thrift store run that I mentioned yesterday, I found a Liz Claiborne leather purse that looked brand new for $2.99. It does feel like you're robbing the place. Now if I could just find some great Disney deals like that. You got a great deal on those pins!! Lacy, that is awesome about the $5.00 monorail set. You never know what you're going to find!

DisneyDudet
03-09-2008, 03:30 PM
I have found some old cassette tapes of Disney music (my addiction!) now and again.

I found a post-it type pad that had pictures on the sides from the 25 Anniv., castle cake and everything, including one of those Mickey-shaped pins in it! I don't use it, but I love it! I got it for $0.25!

BedknobsandBroomsticks
03-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I bought the original long playing record soundtrack for, you may have guessed it..."Bedknobs and Broomsticks" from a guy in Canada. I'd been looking for one for years to replace the one I had as a kid. I did the disney dance of joy when I won the bid on that one. Only 11$:mickey:

Belle619
03-10-2008, 12:01 PM
I found a musical figurine of Snow White for my sister at an antique market last year. I paid $18 and later found something similar by the same artist on eBay for a lot more!

I love it - it really is like trying to find hidden Mickeys! :mickey:

biodtl
03-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Not a yard sale, but I got a great deal on an old 70's or 80 style Daisy duck hat (the kind where the bill is the hat's brim). I ended up dressing as Daisy for the MNSSHP because of it.

goofysbabe
03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
I have a glass crafe type thing with an old mickey mouse club type logo on it. It was only a dollar - I LOVE it.!

Jasper
03-10-2008, 02:37 PM
My father has one of the early Mickey Mouse watches that my grandfather had purchased in I believe the early 40's. An appraiser said it was worth a couple hundred dollars or so.

Since so many people are aware that some of the Disney stuff is worth a lot of money it is hard to really score that big find for next to nothing. Of course the other side of that coin is that some people think ALL Disney merchandise is worth a fortune and end up letting themselves get taken by sometimes unscrupulous people. I think it is that thrill of the hunt that gets people excited about collecting things.

Disneyatic
03-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I found a really cool Mary Poppins figurine for $4 and it still had the hang tag on it!
I also got an original print Mary Poppins golden book (the large ones) for $5. It has an inscription inside of it so I am guessing it was originally given as a gift and I love it.

About a year ago DH and I found a Mickey Mouse head vase or plant holder at a garage sale and were very excited! Everytime we find something Disney related at a garage sale or Thrift store we get excited!

mac badger
03-10-2008, 05:38 PM
i've found tons of disney LP's, including my favorite, the tiki room (the original)
also have a polynesian resort glass i got for 50 cents, a tin serving tray from EPCOT opening year, ashtray, mugs and plates.
i feel extra special when i find something disney at the thrift store

Diznee4Me
03-11-2008, 07:56 AM
I found a metal serving tray with Florida and many Disney characters painted on it. Definately from the early/mid 70's (it has the WDW 70 logo) and I only paid a buck.

Recently I found the entire set of etched 2000 Mac D glasses - one for each park. They are really heavy, have a nice etched park emblem on one side and a color graphic of a character at the park on the other. They were at an antique store so I paid $10.00 for the set but it was worth it and they look nice in our display case. :thumbsup:

McGoofy
03-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Recently I found the entire set of etched 2000 Mac D glasses - one for each park. They are really heavy, have a nice etched park emblem on one side and a color graphic of a character at the park on the other. They were at an antique store so I paid $10.00 for the set but it was worth it and they look nice in our display case. :thumbsup:

We have this same set of glasses. I love them!! We bought the whole set when we were at McDonalds back in 2000. We use them all the time. I am always so careful when I am taking them out or putting them back into my cabinet because I always think, "If I break these, I cannot replace them!"

JPL
03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
I have found way too much stuff to list here at Flea Markets and Thrift stores over the years and even alot during the early days of Ebay when some of the stuff was still plentiful. I Found a huge lot of old Disney Albums I think I paid like $5 for 25 of them near the end of the day the person didn't want to pack them and take them home.