PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary vs. Wilderness Lodge

Patty
03-08-2008, 03:41 PM
DH has put his foot down and is not going to Disney World with our 2 kids and me, some people just don't get it! After dragging him there twice, I have no problems going without him. I guess if you are one of those born without "I LOVE DISNEY" gene in your DNA, you are born with the "I CAN MAKE EVERYONE MISERABLE IF I WANT TO" gene.:mad:
Anyway, this is what I am thinking! With the money I will be saving, (airfare, food and park tickets for him) maybe the kids and I can upgrade to a deluxe resort instead of a moderate. I would love to stay at the Contemporary because I think it would truly make you feel like you are always in the middle of it. Not to mention the monorail. I have always thought that the Wilderness Lodge looked like a really great place to stay too though. Just wonderding what you thought?
Also, while I was looking up prices, I was wondering what catagory a "park view" would be under?

wilshade
03-08-2008, 03:50 PM
The price for "park view" at the CR is right between "OUCH!" and "BOOIIIIINNNNG!" But, if you can get it, than it's probably the best view from any of the hotels as you would also be looking toward the Poly and the Grand Floridian. Best "Disney" view by far.

Wilderness Lodge is a completely different experience. Here, the "OOOOHS and AWWWWS" are for the hotel itself, especially if you are approaching it in one of the boats from the MK.

Also, other than the boat to the MK, you are limited to the bus.

Pikea
03-08-2008, 05:45 PM
I have one of those too - I am going alone with a friend this year - actually in three weeks - we are staying off-site and I can't wait. I love the Contemporary and have never stayed at the other one. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Jenemmy
03-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, you have picked my two favorites! I myself have a hard time choosing between the two.

If money is a consdiration, you might lean toward WL as it is MUCH more economical than the CR.

If not and the sky is the limit....why not go for a park view in the tower of the CR?? It really is magical. I have stayed in both the tower and the garden wings and my most memerable stay by far was being on the 10th floor of the tower and having the castle be the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing at night. My DS loved lying in bed and watching the fireworks each night! Also, I don't know the ages of your kids, but since it is just you alone with them, the CR might be a tad more convenient.

That being said, if you want a more laid back, tucked away, relaxing escape, then WL fits the bill. CR puts you in the middle of the action and you never leave, WL gives you a respite from the hustle and bustle and is really lovely. You are much more immersed in the theming here.

I adore them both and would jump up and down at the chance to stay at either!!! Take a look at some of the pictures here on intercot under the resort section and see what suits you and your kiddos the best :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
03-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I have stayed at both and if I was to go it alone with my kids, I would probably pick the Contemporary. We stayed tower, MK view at Thanksgiving time and I couldn't believe the view. No kidding. This is one resort that I would pay for the view over and over. I literally felt like I could reach out and touch the MK. With just a glance the other way I looked across the lagoon at the GF and the Poly. Hands down, the best view on Disney property. The ease of getting anywhere was terrific. I even walked to the MK one day by myself, just for an hour to shop on Main street without my family, while they swam in the pool. Can't beat that. You are in a Disney classic. Right in the heart of it all. Definitely worth trying at least once, makes the vacation easy..getting places is a breeze! Not to mention that we saw the characters constantly as Chef Mickeys was below us and each time we left or came to our room, we saw the characters dancing and interacting! So much fun for the kids, and Mom too!:blush: Well, as I mentioned, you are in the heart of it all. Its a high energy place to be. The WL is terrific too, that is the opposite of high energy (unless you are in Whispering canyon Cafe!) The WL is all about kicking back. Its so highly themed, you truely feel away from it all. We love the WL so much, but if I was alone with my kids, the Contemporary would be my pick out of those you mentioned. However, out of those not mentioned, the Poly would be my number one choice.

scootch713
03-10-2008, 03:22 PM
This year will be my FIFTH trip leaving daddy at home. I have been doing it since my girls were 2 and 4. He teaches and thus could only go during holidays or summer and isn't a theme park guy. We have a blast. I too stay at deluxe since I am saving on "his" portion. The contemporary is great for the monorail and closeness. I usaully get a wing room to contain costs a bit. We stayed at the WL last year and although my kids missed the monorail a bit... they absolutely loved the pool, it was a huge hit. We also found that the although the boat was slow, they had a Magic Kingdom bus and it is so, so fast. It does not stop anywhere, so it is about a 3 minute trip. We did take the boat one night over to the Contemporary and then took the monorail to the GF for dinner.

We had a MK view room at the Contemporary that was just out of this world. We got it as a free upgrade from a wing room since my neice was with us and she was dying of cancer. I cannot justify the cost though otherwise. Even without hubby going, I take the girls every year and would prefer to keep taking them yearly.. so I haven't splurged on the MK view room. It is in the WOW range though.

At the WL, view really isn't importan(IMO)

Have fun...

TanyaB
03-10-2008, 04:03 PM
hi there!
I just made the same decision between resorts!
I chose WL for two reasons:
1) because it was less expensive
2) the theming is just so much better, IMO

I heard that some Standard view rooms have views of the service roads and sometimes you can hear trucks backing up at 4 am...so I upgraded to a WoodsView for about $150. I also requested an upper floor because if you're near the Whispering Canyon Cafe, they are noisy until about 10 pm.

Enjoy your trip!
Let us know what you decide!

sloslo
03-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Never stayed in the WL but stayed in the CR twice. Last December, I stayed in a deluxe room in the Garden Wing. Loved it. Room was big, kinda like a mini-suite. Plenty of room for me, my wife and daughter. It was right next to the pool and you can walk to Magic Kingdom from the hotel. Takes only about 8-10 minutes! Also, you have the monorail taking you to EC and MK. I would never pay for a Magic Kingdom view. I think it's overpriced and the money can be used elsewhere. In addition, you're in the same hotel as Chef Mickey's, one of my favorites.

DawsonAR
03-11-2008, 09:24 AM
We have stayed at both and love both. If we are going with the kids we choose WL because they like it much better. If it is just the two of us, then we go with the CR. You can't go wrong either way.

Auntie
03-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Wilderness Lodge..love it. Have stayed Poly, Beach Club, FW cabins, Caribbean Beach. WL is our favorite resort. Your kids might like the option of bunks also. Just personally don't care for CR...seems sort of cold to me. That being said the WL is wondeful. The stream that starts in the lobby and meanders outside through the rockscaped scenary eventually leading to the themed pool, and Bay Lake. Where there is the replica of the Old Faithful geyser. Childrens pool, themed pool, hot tubs. Then you have the quiet pool at the Villas. Electric Water Pagent each eveving ..and playground on the beach for the kids. Bike rentals where you can take them over to FW via a bike/walking trail. The Roaring Forks is perfect for quick bites..good kid selections and reasonably priced. Whispering Canyon is a perfect spot for a good time with the kids..located in the WL lobby. The lobby itself is just spectacular..and a fun place to people watch. Pool games each afternoon for the kids.
Water launch to the MK...which I find is a both a lovely, and liesurely way to reach the MK.

c&d
03-12-2008, 10:17 AM
We've stayed at both and my favorite is WL. I just love the feel of it. I love the boat ride to and from the MK. The resort when it's lit up at night is beautiful.

What we also like is the exercise trail. If you walk along it at dusk you can see all the deer feeding. It just added to the fun of being there.

I didn't like the Contemporary when we stayed there. We were out in the wing part and it just felt like any other motel. I didn't get the "Disney feel" when we were there. We are going to give it another try in a tower room.

King Triton
03-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Tough choice:

For the Contemporary:
- more luxurious
- easy monorail access
- can walk to MK

For the Wilderness Lodge:
- better theming
- better pool
- much less expensive
- kids may enjoy more

You can't go wrong with either...for the money, I think I'd go with Wilderness.

Tygger7
03-12-2008, 12:42 PM
We love the WL and would choose it in a heartbeat over the Contemporary because:

1. Price/value - It's the most economical of the deluxe resorts
2. Proximity to MK - Not really an issue since you're considering the Contemporary, but we love taking the boat to the MK. Takes a little longer but is soooooo relaxing.
3. The WL pool. Okay, I'll say it...the pool at the Contemporary leaves a lot to be desired. Very plain & boring.
4. Bathroom counter space - I know this sounds weird, but feedback from my friends that stayed at the Contemporary was that there was NO counter space in the bathroom to put your stuff. The redesigned sinks look nice, and are very modern, but not at all functional for families trying to get ready in the mornings. Your best option is to use one sink as a counter to put your stuff on.
5. Theming - I'm not a "modern art" type of person and prefer the "lodge" atmosphere.
6. Food - All the restuarants in WL are fantastic. Depending on when you go, I know there has been construction at the Contemporary centered around the Concourse Steak House & The Wave.

Hope that helps!

#1donaldfan
03-12-2008, 12:54 PM
IMHO, I think the CR is too "hotelish"...I like it, and yes it's in the middle of it all......but if I were to upgrade I would choose WL.....now that is a beautiful place.......????:mickey: