PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom - Just Not Loving It!

jakeybake
03-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi all,

Just got back from a week long confrence (all expenses paid, WOO HOO!).

I am a long time WDW visitor who has never had the desire to visit the Animal Kingdom in the past. Since I was traveling solo I had a lot of free time on my hands. Because of that I thought I would give the AK a shot my last day in the World.

I have to be honest. I found the park boring, poorly laid out and uninspiring to say the least. There was no one there so the ride waits were all minimal, and this includes EE, Dinosaur and Tough To Be A Bug.

I hit the three previous rides in less than an hour and then left the park do to the lack of appeal.

I would love to hear if others feel the same way I do. After it was all said and done I was happy I rode the rides that I did but I wished I had devoted that time to MK, Epcot or DHS.

Jay

NJ Camper
03-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Guess its a desired taste and not yours i happen to love it yeah the paths are small and could have been layed out a little better but i love the animals and safari the rides are not as plentiful as other parks but it is animal kingdom not ride kingdom if your into the rides then one of the other parks would probably be a better choice sorry it was not as good as you would have liked still i love it and hopefully next time maybe you can get more time in the parks you like instead :mickey:

bc002k
03-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I liked it, but it is certainly exhausting due to the sheer size of it. It's not at all like Magic Kingdom where there's rides/attractions all over the place. It's a lot of walking, a lot of scenery.

chicklittlemom
03-08-2008, 12:40 PM
In a way, I can see what Jakeybake is saying. I thought my kids would love AK for sure. But it was their least favorite and we left after lunchtime. DH says he doesn't want to go back to AK. For one thing, it is the only park where my kids were turned away from rides because of their sizes. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for safety and not mad that the CM enforced it. :mickey:

But for my positives....IMHO AK has one of the best CS restaurants- Flame Tree BBQ. And I love the Tree of Life. The safari was great. Also, very cool shops. There are characters there that you don't see at the other parks.

I think it all depends on the person and circumstances. Maybe next time we go it will be better...the kids will be bigger and have different interests. Maybe next time you go, the circumstances will be different and you can give it a try again?

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-08-2008, 12:40 PM
I know that there are so many people who just love AK, but I'm not one of them either.

On our last trip, DD was worn out, so she slept in one morning while DH went to AK. Much like you, he did EE, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, and was back by lunch.

I don't know what it is...we love wandering the countries of Epcot, but we don't love AK...

Davyjones
03-08-2008, 01:04 PM
I LOVE AK, but I know it's not for everyone. I know a lot of people who love going to zoos, but are not thrilled with AK because there are rides in the park. Then there are the people who expect there to be more rides in it, but are not happy when they realize there are very few rides. Oh well.

I love AK! It may be because I am an animal person (Davyjones = Zookeeper), so I like staying there the whole day. I have never seen any of the shows there except for the bird show, and that's okay for me. I just like walking around, observing the animals, and reading the signs. I also like Rafiki's Conservation Station (I think that's what it's called), although some people find it boring. To each their own. :mickey:

I, personally, haven't been to MGM for a LONG time. I just don't have the desire to go since the last time I went. I prefer to go to MK, AK and EPCOT. :)

bringbackhorizons
03-08-2008, 01:05 PM
We always decide to give AK a miss too, its so disappointing because we love the other three parks, but AK just does nothing for us.:(

JPL
03-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Sorry need jump and defend AK here.

Animal Kingdom is not your typical Disney Park in most of the other parks you are running from attraction to attraction without much time to relax. AK was designed as a park to explore. It is full little of details and areas for you to discover. So yes if you run from EE to Dinosaur and Primeaval Whirl and say I'm done you missed the point. I see too many people walking the 2 trails Pangani Forest and Maharajah Jungle check looking at an animal for 10 seconds and moving on like it's a race to the finish. They are trying to check it off their list of things done like at MK. I like to hang back talk to the guides along the trail watch the animals and get a fresh new experience every time I walk down the trails. This past January I spent a good hour watching the Gorillas and enjoying their antics. I watched the Flights of Wonder show and then walked the trails again to observe the animals later in the day. The Park is beautifully landscaped and the architecture is very authentic. But I have noticed most people who don't like AK think they need to run through get everything checked off their list and then head for the exits. The park is about animals and they are the entertainment and main attractions the rides are secondary in this park. So next time you visit AK take a slow pace relax and try to take it all in spend a few minutes watching the Gorillas or Tigers, take a look around at the lanscaping and explore a little.

BronxTigger
03-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I see where you all are coming from, but I don't agree with your opinions of AK at all!

I love AK! I love to stroll around and enjoy the atmosphere. I love to watch the animals on all the hidden trails, nooks, and crannies. I love the architecture of the buildings around AK. I love E:E and yes, even PrimEVIL Whirl. The safari is great for the animals, although the story line is a bit cheesy. And I can't forget my favorite parade!

My AK days are the ones where I use up all my memory cards and batteries. I live within walking distance of the Bronx Zoo and I rarely go. AK and a typical zoo don't compare.

AK is not a typical theme park; it's not meant to be "attacked" in the same way as MK, Epcot, or DHS. It's supposed to be taken in slowly. It's a good park for mid-trip, when you want to slow down a bit and recharge.

That said, I do understand the "different strokes for different folks." DHS is the park that I find very little that interests me. I can go for a few hours and consider myself "done" there.

Tinksalot
03-08-2008, 01:37 PM
We never seem to spend the whole day in AK. We do everything we want to do, sometimes twice and we always end up leaving before it closes.

NJ Camper
03-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I agree i think if you just want rides then you will get bored and want to leave early from this park but as said its about the animals and the only way to really enjoy this one is to make it a slow and relaxing stroll best when you have done other parks and need some time to recharge take the time eat at some of the different places take a break on a bench and people watch disney has some of the best variety of people in the world its suppose to be a vacation not a race go slow and relax and enjoy you never know when some day the only place to see some of these animals maybe in a zoo or place like this never take for granted what you have there because some day it maybe gone

crazeedizneefinatic
03-08-2008, 01:39 PM
I agree with you, we are not AK fans here either. Don't know exactly what it is about it, but we spend half day at best there. There are a few attractions we like we will go over to see. We give it a try each visit but a few hours are enough for us.

NJ Camper
03-08-2008, 01:52 PM
We find this with HS me and DW only stay part of a day we go on select rides maybe eat a little something then leave the only time we stay later is to to fantasmic or if we are doing dinner

Marilyn Michetti
03-08-2008, 02:12 PM
You didn't say if you visited Festival of The Lion King or Nemo. They're both fabulous.

AK has lots to offer. The Safari takes some time as well as the shows, but it's "sittin down time", like off your feet. That's worth a lot ! I know AK doesn't have all the rides, but where else can you see a Broadway type production, then go watch a Cheetah get it's teeth cleaned?

I love AK. It's not my #1 favorite, but I can't imagine not spending a day there. :thumbsup:

auntfrannie
03-08-2008, 02:40 PM
AK has grown on me. It's definitely a moseying around kind of park. It can be brutal in the hot summer months but very enjoyable to meander through the paths when it's not so blazing hot outside.

I think they have the best afternoon parade. The creativeness and vivid colors of the floats is amazing.

IC10
03-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Wow our first time ever going there was last year and I found it breathless!!! We loved walking around and the safari and the plays were the best in all of WDW. I find it a not miss in fact I know we were there 4 times in 8 days most of tied around Flame Tree but we were there and will be there in September.

disneylovinmom
03-08-2008, 03:53 PM
My family is not loving AK either. There are a few attractions there that are fun, but for the most part, it is not for us. The first time we went was in July 2003 and I thought we didn't enjoy it because it was so hot, but then of course we enjoyed all the other parks. We just went in 2007 and still don't like it. We had to leave after lunch because my kid got sick from riding EE three times in a row. We could have gone back another day, but chose not to. We have been to several great zoos, including the National Zoo at Washington D.C. and felt that we enjoyed the animal exhibits there more.

caryrae
03-08-2008, 04:01 PM
I like AK too, heck we even have a membership to our big Zoo here in Minnesota. I like it cause like some have said it's more relaxing not a constant standing in lines for a ride. Just a nice break from the faster pace the other parks can have, except for World Showcase. I also like to take the time to look at and enjoy the animals. I still like MK and Epcot better but AK is still a very nice park.

Gooftroop5
03-08-2008, 04:04 PM
I have to agree with you. The first time we went we did it all. After that we do the favs like the safari, camp mickey minnie (have kids otherwise I'd skip it seen it all), & the dinosaur area then we leave. I really believe its a half day park. This year we will spend a little more time there cause we have newbies this year & we are going at christmas time & I want to see the parade but otherwise I'd hit my favs & leave by lunch.

My mom doesn't care for it because she's not into animals. I think its like any of the other parks you either like it or don't. You will have a bunch that just won't agree then those of us that feel like you.

Tink2002
03-08-2008, 04:32 PM
We don't necessarily dislike AK, it isn't our favorite (I've personally always been an Epcot girl), but we enjoy it.

AK was actually my sister and parent's favorite on our first visit, back when it hadn't officially opened and the resort guests were getting the preview. It fell off of the top spot after we returned with high crowd levels as we got older and have had to go during school vacations. The paths are very narrow and the layout is such that there are a whole lot of people tripping over each other and fighting to see animals on the trails during the busy times.

Gotta love festival of the lion king, though, and I'm very excited to try Everest this summer!:D

big blue and hairy
03-08-2008, 04:33 PM
DW and I absolutely love Animal Kingdom! There are a lot of things to do, just not all ride oriented. I love the rides, but I can enjoy myself just strolling trough the incredible theming and looking at the animals. The shows in AK are also extremely good. We both thoroughly enjoy ourselves every time we visit, which is pretty often.

:sulley:

Scrod
03-08-2008, 05:04 PM
More than any other park, AK is for exploring at more leisurely pace. We had never taken the time to do this before, but the last two times we were there we saw a lot more and enjoyed it a lot more. The maharaji trail was a first for us last trip, plus I know there was more to see and do that we did not get to. :number1:

Having said all that, I don't think my DW is interested in anything but EE, safari ride, Dinoland and the Flame Tree.;)

IloveDisney71
03-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I personally love the AK. It is a big park and requires a lot of walking but I like to take my time and enjoy all of the scenery.
I love the safari ride, EE, & dinosaur. I really enjoy seeing Bug's Life, The Festival of the Lion King & the new Nemo show. I also like to walk around and see the animals, especially the gorillas.

I do wish they would add some more rides since I think that is what a lot of people would like to see increased at AK.

Kurtoon
03-08-2008, 09:20 PM
2 words
Tumble Monkeys
The Festival of the Lion King is the best show in the WDW.
Oh yes I enjoy Pocahantis and her furry forest friends.
....and there are lots of great rides, attractions , animals, food, a parade, Mickey Mouse, Pluto, Minnie, Donald, etc....:mickey:

so whats not to like?

Genie1953
03-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Although Animal Kingdom is not my favorite park, we did thoroughly enjoy it...especially the safari...I highly recommend that! Our next trip I am going to try to do that at various times during the day. I am sure that I will see something different each time!

Gator
03-08-2008, 09:44 PM
When I first went, I wasn't a fan either. However, it has grown on me. The rides are getting better, they're getting more dining options (a few more). By my 3rd trip, it moved past the Studios into third place. It will never be as good as MK or Epcot, but I love the theming and the natural habitats. Plus,

Genie1953
03-08-2008, 10:01 PM
I do have to say that I enjoyed Animal Kingdom much more than I did MGM but that is probably because we spent more time at AK. I forgot to mention that we ate at Flame Tree Barbecue and it was awesome....and that is a pretty good compliment coming from someone who lives very close to Kansas City with all of it's wonderful Barbecue.

Yano
03-08-2008, 11:10 PM
I have to say AK is our family's favorite,
the parade is one of the best in WDW. and the safari is my DH favorite.
we usually take a late flight to go home so we can spend the last day enjoying AK before we head to the airport. so we defiantly visit AK at least twice during our stay at WDW.
our least favorite is Epcot. sorry:blush:
:flower::flower:

ChipnDaleGal
03-09-2008, 09:39 AM
I just love the Animal Kingdom Park. In some ways it is my favorite park. I just love the vibe there and it keeps getting better and better all the time. :thumbsup:

SurferStitch
03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
DH and I love AK! We know how to do things at a leisurely pace and soak everything in, and you can definitely do that at AK. We loved it from the first time we went in 1998. There is so much detail in everything, that if you just run from ride to ride, you never get to appreciate any of it.

We love animals, so we can spend many hours watching the gorillas, bats, tigers, etc. The rides are great, of course, but we really enjoy the shows and the animals. That's what AK is really all about.

I can see where more ride oriented people would find AK boring, and to each his own. We like everything, so that's why we love each park in a different way.

We easily hit AK 3 or more times in an 11 or 12 day trip. Since it is such a relaxing park, we never tire ourselves out. It's a great way to take things slow in WDW.

trennedy
03-09-2008, 01:39 PM
I will admit that AK isn't my 1st, 2nd or 3rd favorite park, but there is something about it that is special. I love the safari, cheesy as it is, being so close to the animals :elephant::gator: is just relaxing and a nice change of pace.

Polynesian Dweller
03-09-2008, 02:22 PM
If AK is approached as a theme park rather than as a park about animals, it could be disappointing. But as JPL said, then you miss the point. Its about discovering the animals and taking slow walks on the trails and learning about them. There are lots of interesting touches if you do that.

That said, it depends if that's what you are looking for. There are years we just don't have the same interest in that so we give it a lot less time. Other years, for whatever reason, the vacation works out that way and we spend more time. If you pause an watch animals you can see amaxing behavior. Watch the tigers (for example) for more than the 3 minutes most people give them and you'll see what we mean.

So, not our favorite park but a nice one when you are looking for something other than just rides, though those are getting better too with EE.

jszczur5
03-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm not a huge fan, although we always hit AK at least once each trip. My philosophy - in at opening, out by 1:00. There's just not that much to do there. My teen and pre-teen sons are not keen on any of the shows, so that leaves Dinosaur, EE, and KS. If you get there early enough, you can hit all 3, even ride EE 3 times, and still get out before the heat becomes unbearable.

cal5755
03-09-2008, 11:13 PM
We love AK. I agree with twhoever said that it is a day for relaxing and recharging. The shows are fabulous... Lion King is our favorite. We all love the slow paced walking and stopping to observe the animals etc. We never miss AK when we make a trip to the World :mickey:

tennantsrwe
03-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Hey.
Well I have to say I'm not overly thrilled with AK either. We always go because our DD enjoy it but usually are more than ready to go before park closing. I understand the concept of it being more of an animal park and not a theme park...but even still it doesn't compare to the other parks in Disney. Just my input...:mickey:

JPL
03-10-2008, 09:43 AM
As far as more traditional rides and attractions right now it can't compare to other parks. But on the other when it comes to Theming and attention to details it is far superior to the other parks at WDW. It totally emerses you in the story and setting. All of the other parks at WDW have lost their focus while AK is still on track. On the other hand they do have 2 of the best shows in WDW Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo the Musical as well as the best coaster EE.

ChipDale2708
03-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I used to feel the same way about AK. We went the year it opened and proabably the second year and after that I think we skipped it for a couple of trips. Then two years ago we went and it just completely overwhelmed us. We kept discovering new things and spent loads of time just watching the animals and taking in the surroundings. Before we knew it we had spent the entire day there. :thumbsup: It was such a relaxing and magical day with the animals. But then, we love animals and can sit and observe them for hours.

I can't wait to see Festival of the Lion King again this year!

BigBaloo
03-10-2008, 10:59 AM
The problem I have w/ AK is it always seems crowded. The walkways just always seem jammed. We usually go in off times of year to avoid the crowds & we just always seem cramped at AK.

The best part of AK is that they have a HB (Hidden Baloo!!!!):secret:

snifflesmcg
03-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Of the 9 day vacation we has last year, only ONE day was dedicated to AK.

I find the park way too hilly to navigate on a 100% humidity day and agree with the original poster that the park is poorly laid out. I'm not into animals too much so I feel that spending time watching them is a waste of time and money since I can hit the Philadelphia Zoo for half the price. Althought I have to admit that in the past 2 years they added EE and the Nemo show making it harder to skip this park, I'd rather be in one of the other 3 parks.

Imagineer1981
03-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Give it time, lots of people found MGM (hollywood) studios boring at first too!

Disney Doll
03-10-2008, 11:18 AM
We never miss AK. I really like all the attention to detail and I like just wandering around the different trails. It's a welcome change of pace. I absolutely love the Lion King and Nemo shows! I really think they are the best shows in all of Disney.

MarkC
03-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I can understand everyone's differing opinion. For instance, we saw the movie Vantage Point recently. My wife really liked it, and I thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. If everyone liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring place.

I will add that I am one of the people who really enjoys Animal Kingdom and do not miss it on our trips. We usually find time to see it at least twice so we can re-ride our favorites. But again, I can see where it does fit everone's tastes. Mark

biodtl
03-10-2008, 01:17 PM
I love AK, but then I love all the parks. It's not MK or Epoct, but that's the point. I woulnd't want another of those (even though they are my faves). One of the things I love best about WDW is all the different things you can do and see.

Jeff G
03-10-2008, 03:48 PM
As far as more traditional rides and attractions right now it can't compare to other parks. But on the other when it comes to Theming and attention to details it is far superior to the other parks at WDW. It totally emerses you in the story and setting. All of the other parks at WDW have lost their focus while AK is still on track.

I agree with this 100% except the Chester & Hester area. To me this area has no relevance to the rest of the park.

As for AK I can understand how people fall both ways for it. The rides are very good but have a limited few which, besides Kilimanjaro Safaris, really don't have broad appeal.

If you are an adventurer coming for just the rides the park is very limited unless you want to do the same few over and over again. If you like animals and nature this park has so many options to offer that can really eat a day away. And if you are like me I love the rides, enjoy exploring the many trails and taking in the shows the park has a lot to offer. Last year we arrived at 8:45 and left at 4:30 and didn't have time to make it to Conservation Station (I would guess the 5 EE rides didn't help but....).

After my first trip to AK I vowed not to go back but several visits later it has really grown on me. In my opinion it is the best themed park and can be really peacful, it also has two of my favorite rides in WDW (EE & Kilimanjaro Safaris) and a great stage show in Finding Nemo. I hope overtime they do more with the land they have becuase as much as I like it the park it still feels incomplete and could use a little more.

JPL
03-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I agree with this 100% except the Chester & Hester area. To me this area has no relevance to the rest of the park.

I can't stand this area either but yet if you read the backstory it makes sense for it to be there. Remember Dinoland USA grew out of Chester & Hester's Discovery that brought the Dino Institute to the area. The theming for what is suppose to be is dead on a cheap cheesy roadside attraction. The local tourist trap eyesore everyone loves and hates at the same time.

LilHooligan74
03-10-2008, 07:26 PM
I must say,I was not too sure about this park the first time we went. But it did grow one me. Now I consider It a must visit. It is very nice to walk through the park and enjoy the scenery. I love the conservation station. our family loves the kali river rapids....so much fun, especially at the end of the day.

Hull-onian
03-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Animal Kingdom for us. All of it.:thumbsup:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-10-2008, 10:16 PM
We went to AK the first year it opened and we were not impressed with it at all.

We skipped it the following year.

Once we had our two sons we decided to give it another try and we love it now. :number1:

Festival of the Lion king is my favorite show in all of WDW. My DH and kids love EE. They are huge Kali fans as well. DD and I love the walking trails and seeing the animals.

We really enjoy AK. We spend at least two days there each trip. DHS is our half day park.

acetate
03-10-2008, 10:22 PM
We plan on skipping it when we go in May. The reason It doesn't "work" for our family is that instead of being an escape from reality, it seems very real indeed. I know it's all part of the "magic", but by making things appear worn and run down it seems kinda, well ..blahhh. At least to us anyway. The other parks are so bright and pretty, that by comparison the Animal Kingdom seems drab or run down. Plus as others have mentioned, the poor layout and a seeming lack of breezes make it downright miserable. Last time there was 2005. We basically ran in and out in about 3 hours.

ASweetLov
03-10-2008, 10:35 PM
I liked Animal Kingdom. I have only been there once and it started poaring so had to leave early from the park. The only thing I didnt like was that because there were so many plants and trees there were also lots of little bugs, and i hate bugs!