PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Know Anything About Freezing Apple Pie?

mjaclyn
03-08-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm baking pies this morning and I'd like to freeze an unbaked apple pie so I can use it next week. My question is - what kind of pie pan should I freeze it in? I always use glass pie dishes for fresh pies - I've never frozen an unbaked pie before so I'm not sure if the glass will break in the freezer. Should I go ahead and use the regular glass pie pan or get a disposable aluminum one? Has anyone done this before? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

MsMin
03-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't think the glass would break b/c the pie has room to expand in the dish. It's the expansion that breaks most glass like an overfilled jar. I've never tried to freeze one but if it's sealed real well I don't see a problem. Especially if you use it in the next couple of weeks you won't have to worry about freezer burn-- but do protect it.... and let us know how it comes out..

bouncer
03-08-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't think that you can take a glass pan directly from freezer & put into oven. I use a stone (Pampered Chef) pie plate and if you put something frozen in it and bake it the pan will break. I found out the hard way. I believe that it is the same with a glass dish. If a cold dish goes into a hot oven it will break. I recommend going with a metal or foil pie plate.:thumbsup:

Gooftroop5
03-08-2008, 03:51 PM
You wouldn't be able to take a glass pan right from the freezer into the oven unless its like pyrex or something that is made for that. I've never frozen an unbaked pie. We always bake then freeze let it thaw in the refrig and its just fine the next day. If you want it warm then microwave one slice at a time.

The thing with al pan is instead of washing it you can throw it out.

Dakota Rose
03-09-2008, 05:32 PM
As long as you let the dish come to room temperature before putting it in the oven, you should be fine.

Wrap the unbaked pie in two layers of plastic wrap, being sure the whole dish and pie are covered. Then wrap in foil, label and freeze. If you want to be extra secure against freezer burn, you can put it in one of those giant ziploc bags too.

crazypoohbear
03-09-2008, 07:50 PM
an apple pie wouldn't last long enough in my house for it to be frozen :mickey:
My DS is one of two things.
HUNGRY
TIRED
Sometimes he's both at the same time:)

I would use the foil pans to freeze though