PDA

View Full Version : How bad will crowds be april 19-26?

thumperbug
03-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Going the week schools in north east are out (and maybe half the country), how bad will the crowds be?

momof3+twins
03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
We go that time of year alot. It isn't too bad. But, check the grad nights, they may be going on then. If so, it is usually smart to stay away from the values.

Goofy-n-Alabama
03-07-2008, 03:34 PM
We will be there the 13-20 of April. This is our 1st time to go in April and am also afraid of large crowds. We usually go in late October or early November and the weather is really nice and the crowds very manageable. Hope we both have a great trip!!!!:joy: :cheers:

pooh0601
03-07-2008, 04:28 PM
The good thing is, Easter is over with, college spring breaks are over with, and Florida K-12 schools springs breaks are over with.

So the NE might have spring break...but I bet the impact that FL k-12 schools spring break has is a lot higher, just because of the much shorter distance to Disney.

We are going from the 20th to 23rd. We just picked dates that did not have any Grad Nites going on, that way we knew the MK would be open at night for us.

Just make use of the FastPass system and your time should be enjoyable. Also be sure to visit the parks during the slower times during the day(i.e. at park opening). It's amazing how many rides you can get done within the 1st hour if you get there when the park opens.

saintsiner
03-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Expect it to be really busy. The value resorts have been sold out for weeks, and most dinners are booked solid. We go every year during the NE spring break, and I can tell you it is busy. Ride waits can be 45min - 1 hr. Some can even be up to 2 hours. Pace yourself, use fastpass, and enjoy the other things (like characters, parades, etc...) and you will be fine.

thumperbug
03-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the feed back. We took a last min trip in Feb during the NE extra winter break and the crowds were not as bad as we expected. Sounds like our trip in April will be about the same. We already got the 411 on Grad nights and will avoid MK those nights.

swampfox28
03-08-2008, 02:55 PM
We're going the 11th to the 15th and have our fingers crossed.

I promise to let you know what we experienced when we return!

-Sarah

saintsiner
03-08-2008, 03:52 PM
We're going the 11th to the 15th and have our fingers crossed.

I promise to let you know what we experienced when we return!

-Sarah

I do not mean this in a disrespectful way at all, but one has nothing to do with the other. Mot schools in the North East are closed during the week of the 19 - 26. The week before they are open. ALOT of people from the NE make the trip to Disney for the spring break. I would suspect the 11 - 15 to be not bad, and the 19 - 26 to be much worse, IMO.

swampfox28
03-08-2008, 04:11 PM
No harm done!

I just thought that Spring Breaks would be staggered at different times across the country. I figured our week might have a bearing on theirs...

-Sarah

playdead88
03-09-2008, 07:49 AM
in virginia spring break is march 23 - 29 so it must be states much more northeast than virginia

BluewaterBrad
03-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Have fun!! We will see you there!!:mickey:

saintsiner
03-09-2008, 12:34 PM
No harm done!

I just thought that Spring Breaks would be staggered at different times across the country. I figured our week might have a bearing on theirs...

-Sarah

You are probably right, I was basing my thoughts on the fact that all the North East states that I am aware of have off the week of April 20 - 26, plus the fact that many hotels are sold out that week (the cheapest I was able to find last week was $300 or higher per night!)

In any case, crowds or no crowds... enjoy your stay!!!!

javamama
03-09-2008, 03:16 PM
I was there this week last year and it was perfect!!! We went Monday thru Friday left Friday not a single issue, not even a drop of rain! Walked on many, many, rides. EMH were great. I booked last January for April, and didn't have a problem getting a 2 bedroom Villa at WL, no dining reservation issues, we even walked in two resturants w/out reservations! So honestly I wouldn't worry too much. Just because one section has spring break, many sections it's over so look at it that way! We're going 4/13-4/19 this year and I'm not concerned just because same thing one area may have spring break then, but two areas may not plus easter is so early this year. No matter what your going to have fun, and that's what really matters:mickey:
I'm in Chicago, and we have Easter Spring Breaks this year at both Catholic/Private and Public schools. Around here they've decided to combine Private and Public to the same week for spring break, when I was kid we had separate ones.

LoriMistress
03-09-2008, 04:18 PM
From a scale from 1 being the nobody in the park and 10 being an ocean of angry people--sorry, but it's going to be a 10.

merlinmagic4
03-09-2008, 05:50 PM
From a scale from 1 being the nobody in the park and 10 being an ocean of angry people--sorry, but it's going to be a 10.

Well, not exactly. The Unofficial Guide's Crowd Calendar has (on a scale of 1-10):

Sat, 19: 6
Sun, 20: 7
Mon, 21: 7
Tue, 22: 5
Wed, 23: 5
Thu, 24: 8
Fri, 25: 5
Sat, 26: 5

Hope this helps!

swampfox28
03-10-2008, 12:14 AM
How cool is that crowd predictor?

Is it possible to tell me how to find out what it will be like Apr. 11-15? I tried "blingo", but came up with a bad link...

THANKS!

playdead88
03-10-2008, 06:03 AM
well i have to say we were there last year during that same exact week and it wasn't that bad - the only times we waited longer than 25 min for a ride was at soarin' and everest - we had a great time that week! :mickey:

merlinmagic4
03-10-2008, 06:58 AM
How cool is that crowd predictor?

Is it possible to tell me how to find out what it will be like Apr. 11-15? I tried "blingo", but came up with a bad link...

THANKS!

I sent you a PM since it is a separate week from the one in the original post.

c&d
03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
When we were down last year at that time for Spring Break I found the EMH's were really crowded. The crowds didn't really thin out until well after midnight at the MK.

MOJoe
03-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Well, not exactly. The Unofficial Guide's Crowd Calendar has (on a scale of 1-10):

Sat, 19: 6
Sun, 20: 7
Mon, 21: 7
Tue, 22: 5
Wed, 23: 5
Thu, 24: 8
Fri, 25: 5
Sat, 26: 5

Hope this helps!

I think that in their "crowd blog" they stated these numbers were underestimated by 1. So instead of 5 to 8, it should be 6 to 9. Still, not bad. And certainly not the gridlock of 10.

Imagineer1981
03-10-2008, 11:18 AM
sorry to say, but last time we went it April..NIGHTMARE!

doodleboy
03-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Going the week schools in north east are out (and maybe half the country), how bad will the crowds be?

I bet you will be fine. I have had monstorous crowds predicted for some of my past trips and things were exagerated. Our worst trip in terms of crowds was July 4th weekend a couple of years ago. Never, ever again! Second was during the free dining promotion. I also avoid that whole thing if I can.

That seems like a late Spring break to me. When is school out for summer?

We are going May 1-10 this year. My favorite time of year. My oldest is in K, and will be OK with missing some time this year.

thumperbug
03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
our school is done June 26. We had a week off in February, we get 3 days off for Easter in March and then an entire week off in April from 21-25. Sounds like it will be anything from "no problem" to "what were we thinking". I've been to WDW in April roughly the same times years ago and didn't find it to be crowded. I guess I will find out in 5 weeks and 4 days. Been to WDW 6 times in last 24 months alone and too many priors to count so I know all the tricks to maximizing the parks. Thanks to all who responded. :)

poohluva
03-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Spring break for southern NH is the week of April 28 to May 2, that's when we'll be there!!!

This will be our second time going during spring break the first time I didn't think the crowds were that bad. We went Thanksgiving week before also, that week was crowded!!

MMFreak
03-10-2008, 04:46 PM
My family and I are going the week of the 19th through the 26th and we go this same time frame every year. It has been crowded at times but never so crowded that I would change the time of year I go. The weather is beautiful the temperature is just right and the rainfall is low to non existant. The only time I think the crowds were terrible was at the end of a parade or fireworks. With that said I would imagine the crowds are bothersome at the end of those events no matter what month, day, or week you go.

We are from the North East (NJ) and our children are not on break. They have spring break this year March 21 through March 30 (shrug).

Hull-onian
03-10-2008, 07:59 PM

:welcome: to Intercot.
We will be there that time period. We booked June of '07 to do this trip.

merlinmagic4
03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
sorry to say, but last time we went it April..NIGHTMARE!

Which week did you go? It makes a huge difference.

Also, how can any week at Disney be a nightmare:confused::confused::confused:

saintsiner
03-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Also, how can any week at Disney be a nightmare:confused::confused::confused:

Well said. We will be there the week of the 20 - 26th. So what if 15 million more people (lol) are there, we will have fun either way. I never let a big crowd stop me from going.

doodleboy
03-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Spring break for southern NH is the week of April 28 to May 2, that's when we'll be there!!!

This will be our second time going during spring break the first time I didn't think the crowds were that bad. We went Thanksgiving week before also, that week was crowded!!

I am learning Spring breaks are more spread out than I had thought. We always go in May in order to avoid crownds until the kids are in grades that will not allow for them to be out in May. I still think that April 20-26 will be mid-line on crowds.

I have noticed that the so called "slow periods" are getting slimmer and slimmer anyway. I recall visiting in the early 90's and having the place to ourselves in May. Disney has done a good job of filling in the gaps with various offers and festivals. I wonder if the impending recession will cause things to slow down a bit.

Have a blast! :party:

DawsonAR
03-11-2008, 03:27 PM
We will be there the 20-27. I booked 180 days out then I wanted to change resort about 60 days out. I have tired many times and the Poly is booked. We are booked for WL which is wonderful but we wanted to change over to the Poly. I tried to get AP discount at any of the deluxe resorts for these dates and there was nothing avaliable. I expect it will be busy but fun all the same!

PeterPansMagic
03-23-2008, 01:56 AM
bump